There was this funeral, see....
  • Jani
    ...which I sang a cappella, on Tuesday. The usual smattering of Catholic parishioners were there- about ten- and approximately 30 others who were of other/no faiths.

The din in the place before the service was ungodly. When the bells were rung to signal the beginning of the Mass, the noise continued until a few people quite audibly "shsssss'd". Things proceeded uneventfully after that until it was time for the sign of peace. Mercy...

Under normal circumstances, Father will leave the sanctuary to offer the sign of peace to those sitting in the front row. When he steps back into the sanctuary I begin the Agnus Dei and that quiets everyone down. No such luck at this funeral. The noise was even worse than before Mass started, and I stupidly started singing, thinking they would shut up. They didn't. The loud talking and visiting even went on after Father had reached the altar.

Although this was definitely over the top, things like this do happen quite often. There seems to be no reverence for Catholic churches anymore-at least not here in Utah. Thoughts? Suggestions?

• ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Send our priest out there. He would say something in that situation, and he would be very direct, viz: "...I know we're all happy to see each other, but this is God's house and I must remind you of the sacrifice which we are about to remember." He would not continue with Mass until he got the silence the sacrifice deserves.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    You never know what you'll get at a funeral... especially when there are often non-Catholics and non-practicing Catholics at a funeral along with those who do know what is supposed to happen. I have found that the amount of time required for the sign of peace (in particular) can vary a great deal at funerals (and 1st Communion Masses - when there are also a lot of non-Catholics there). I typically just wait until the hubbub seems to die down before beginning the Agnus Dei.

Perhaps, although it may seem that they were disrespectful or uncaring, they simply don't know the normal behavior... perhaps your lovely singing will encourage them to come back (and not just for a funeral).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We omit the sign of peace at most funerals.
  • TCJ
    Why does Father exit the sanctuary to shake hands in the pews? Shouldn't he remain in the sanctuary? If he travels about to do it then you know that everyone else will, too.
  • CharlesW
    In some places, the parish church has become headquarters for a funeral industry. Protestant relatives tend to ask for the sappy stuff they sing in their church gatherings, and many Catholics have become as bad. The priests make money on funerals and usually the parish gets a fee for the use of the building. I half-way joke about us having a funeral for Rover, the Catholic dog, one of these days. There is also a wedding industry in beautiful churches that make good backdrops for wedding photos. The priests should know better, but the money is good and contributes to the priestly vacation fund. LOL.
  • canadashcanadash
    Why does Father exit the sanctuary to shake hands in the pews? Shouldn't he remain in the sanctuary?

This happens at a church where I occasionally cantor for funerals. I do find it awkward because not only does the priest leave, but everyone in the sanctuary leaves and shakes hands with the family too. I think the priest is trying to be consoling or thoughtful of the family. (Though, at my parish the priest never does this, and I don't consider him to be indifferent.)
  • JDE
    The priests at my very affluent parish are sometimes paid, sometimes not, for funerals; the deacons are lucky to get anything at all, ever. My parish has a large and very busy bereavement ministry, but the church doesn't get a red cent for their work -- this includes the use of the Chapel or Sanctuary (depending on how many people are expected), helping the family plan the funeral Mass, arranging a reception, and holding the family's figurative hand through the process in general.

I need not remind any Catholic that burying the dead is one of the Corporal Works of Mercy, so to suggest that churches are doing funerals out of venality is uncharitable at best. I can't speak for every parish or every priest, but at my parish, they do funerals as an act of love. I have also seen more than a few non-practicing Catholics come back to the faith at least in part because our pastor encouraged them to turn to Christ in their grief.
  • Jani
    Thanks everyone. I would agree that omitting the sign of peace is best; in any case, I think there is a real opportunity to do some teaching here.

Oh, I forgot to mention.....maybe it would have been different if the body had been present, as opposed to the ashes?
  • CharlesW

I need not remind any Catholic that burying the dead is one of the Corporal Works of Mercy, so to suggest that churches are doing funerals out of venality is uncharitable at best

Nothing uncharitable about it. I know of one cash-strapped parish that looks to any extra service as a way to generate income. It happens, although the weddings are more profitable than funerals. The church is also a business, not just a charitable enterprise. Many parishes have closed over finances.
  • JonLaird
    This is thankfully a thing of the past at our church, except for at the Christmas Vigil Masses which seem pretty hopeless when it comes to discipline. I can't really point to a particular thing that would be a magic bullet for you, but here is what I believe is helpful at our parish (in no particular order):

1. The current priests are respectful and have always promoted respect in the church.
    2. They don't leave the sanctuary during the sign of peace.
    3. When funeral attendees arrive, they are greeted by funeral home staff and sacristans who foster an attitude of respect, and encourage people to finish conversations in the vestibule before entering the nave.
    4. The front of every funeral program reminds everyone to maintain a respectful silence in the church.
    5. Thanks to renovations, our church now looks (more than previously) like a church. As we know, churches that look like churches by their nature command respect more than churches that look like big conference rooms, auditoriums, warehouses, greenhouses, spas, or any other non-church building.
    6. And, it goes without saying, we never permit any form of remotely disrespectful music.

There are other things, I suppose, but I think you get the idea. It takes everyone doing their parts properly. When that happens, people just know how to act.
    Thanked by 1rschi123
  • Jani
    I've been thinking that I need to start at the funeral home; at the very least there should be something written up to be a kind of guide to the service and et c. - yes?
  • CharlesW
    I've been thinking that I need to start at the funeral home; at the very least there should be something written up to be a kind of guide to the service and et c. - yes?

Yes! When you develop that procedure, be sure you have the full backing of the pastor. A procedure signed by him should be given to the family, as well as, the funeral home staff.
  • rschi123
    The church is also a business, not just a charitable enterprise. Many parishes have closed over finances.

I am sure the latter is true but I do hope the former isn't, anywhere.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    I am sure the latter is true but I do hope the former isn't, anywhere.

Parishes should be run according to good business practices. It has been astounding the number of priests I have met who have little understanding of finance and accounting, and even less of management skills. Business courses are badly needed along with traditional seminary training.
  • I have quite worrisome feelings when I hear here and there that parishes should be run like businesses, and that priests need a more thorough grounding in business matters. One, of course, does not question that the fabric of churches should be intelligently administered and wisely dispensed. Still, the business paradigm is troublesome, to put it mildly. Actual business-ship is soul-less, concerned with the proverbial 'bottom line', and sees through lens which have few if any moral aspects beyond staying within the law and, thus, out of trouble, and, thus, able to make even more profits. This is not the paradigm suggested to us in the life, example, and personhood of Jesus. Business and Church are, it seems to me, polar opposites in motivation, moral fibre, and purpose.

It was with deep sadness that I sat with a colleague of mine several years ago across the desk of a priest at the local seminary, a priest who had some measure of responsibility for the seminarians' formation, who, as we spoke of music and liturgy, said with a face of stone that 'the days of the praying priest are over - we are training administrators'. I was overcome with a coldness that swept through my whole person, and could hardly keep from weeping. A priest, of course, is a man. He is just like the rest of us but for one very singularly important matter, namely, this man (as imperfect as all of us) is set aside to offer sacrifice. He is a sacerdotal person. Ideally he is a real God-person, a holy man, a man of prayer, service, and sacrifice. He is not a businessman, he is not concerned with the bottom line or with making a profit. He wisely tends to the solvency of the church only to the end that it may perform its role amongst mankind, that it is a beacon and source of fides, spem, and caritas. Any training, any formation, any mind-set that is at odds with his sacerdotal nature, the living out of his sacred role with integrity, is essentially wicked. There are far too many men who get ordained who really are not holy men, who are niggardly in the 'wasting' of the 'precious ointment' in order that the Lord's worship might be as splendid, its music as glorious, as possible. The offering of sacrifice together with 'sacrificed' treasure is the thing that a priest does. If he does not do this zealously and lead a holy life, there is no reason for him to be called 'father'. He is the wolf in sheep's clothing.

I have heard tales, and know that some of you have, as well, of architectural treasures on valuable property being sold and razed even though the parish was solvent, because a philistine bishop wanted the millions for some pet project - a project which would in all likelihood be housed in an architectural embarrassment. That such philistines ever get ordained, and, yet, are made bishops is a calumny that cries to heaven for redress. No, let us not have such men lordshipping it over us. Let us not think of them as 'father' and 'excellency' - because they are not. They are businessmen. Of priesthood they are a mockery.
  • Carl DCarl D
    The world of business is getting real interesting, MJO. There's a growing trend toward legal recognition and support of companies which seriously take on their triple bottom line - called "Benefit Corporations" in some states. So we can't be too quick to polarize business vs. church. There's a lot more crossover than we've been led to believe.

The real challenge, in my mind, is how to create an organization which achieves its next-worldly goals while being sustainable in the current-worldly environment. Yes, this means enough money to keep the doors open, whether we like it or not.

Our clergy don't get enough support on how to do this, especially because we're now in a world of declining membership (and secular attack, if you will). My business experience showed me that it's real easy to make a business work when things are growing, but when things are shrinking things get real ugly. Layoffs, closures, all kinds of distasteful things.

Our challenge then is to create a church which is frugal with its money while getting souls to heaven. I believe this may be connected to the growth of the church in Africa, where there aren't expectations for things which are expensive. Perhaps we forget that many cathedrals required the toil and investment of generations, when we now expect to toss up a church in a year.

Personally, I think the solution is to marry the expertise of a business manager - a HOLY and DEVOUT business manager - with each pastor. We don't ask our priests to be plumbers, nor copier repairmen, nor mechanics. Perhaps it's asking a bit much to ask them to be business experts when their primary job is attending to the souls of the parish. It's not like this is a particularly new model; it's been done for ages. Sometimes we forget that.
  • Be extravagant in your praise of God in the public worship of the Church.
    Be faithful to the call you have received.
    Be frugal in your creature comforts.

Pray for your daily bread. Remember: God will not be outdone in generosity.
  • bonniebede
    While I understand and sympathise with much you have written mjo, I would note the following.
    'Business' for most of us is synonymous with 'work' and working is part of the original blessing God has given us. Even after the fall when thorns and sweat make an appearance, work remains for us the ordinary means of sanctification, the place where many virtues are learned, where stewardship of material blessings is exercised, and by which we take care of our families and those who cannot care for themselves.
    That many businesses do not do this, but are rapacious and grasping, does not change the nature of things, it is no different from pointing out that man is called to virtue, even though many continue in vice.
    The local parish is an incarnational reality, on the one hand it is the local part of the Church instituted by Christ, the communion of Saints spread across the ages, the forefront of the spiritual war, and so on, on the other hand, it has for its use buildings properties, it acts as an employer within current law and so on.
    The principle work, the opus Dei is given onto the care of the priest - who as you rightly point out should first and foremost be a man of God a prayerful man. right from the beginning in the book of Acts, it was understood that other tasks of administration were needed, but that they should not prevent the priests from doing their first duties and so were handed off tot he deaconate.
    There is nothing wrong with being one who in the order of thing deals with the lesser, this is in fact what a hierarchically ordered church allows for. but there is no reason to denigrate those who deal with the lesser things - holiness consists not in being entrusted with the greatest things, but in having great faithfulness with what you are entrusted with.
    In small local parishes, the priest may not have a deacon, or even a competent layman who can take care of the 'business' side of things - and there is no reason not to prepare him adequately and thoroughly for handling these things himself when necessary.
    The greater need, IMHO, is to train him to be a leader who knows how to recruit, disciple and empower workers for the vineyard, who in time can relieve him of the tasks which do not need Orders, leaving him free for the preaching of the word and the sanctification of the people, for prayer and sacrifice.
  • Bonniebede -
    Many thanks for the nuanced comments on my words. I had, actually, felt a little bad that what I wrote may have been too judgmental and negative. While I stand by the substance of my words, I should hasten to add that I believe that the vast majority of our priests strive to fulfill their sacred calling and are entitled to our prayers and thanks for so doing. There are too many of whom my remarks apply, but most are a blessing to their people. I could not count the ones whom I have known or merely met, the emanations of whose presence were all but like what the woman who reached out to touch the hem of Jesus' garment experienced. I think that knowing such men makes it even harder to comprehend the callous ones who fit my words above, who, but for the results of the Donatist controversy would be run out of town and wouldn't remain priests and prelates at all. And, yes, you are spot on about the sacredness of work. I meant no denigration of it.
  • is to train him to be a leader who knows how to recruit, disciple and empower workers for the vineyard,

Leader. No, he's a shepherd. The Germans have a word for Leader, different from their words for Emperor and King. They call him Fuhrer.

Disciple. It's not a verb.

Empower. Too often (as it seems to do here) this word means "pad the ego of". It's straight from the same vocabulary buzzword jargon cheat sheet as "Mission Statement", "Community Building Exercises", "Differently Abled" and "Challenges.

Why would I insist on using other words? For the same reason that you will insist that these are perfectly appropriate for the context: words mean things.
    Thanked by 1rschi123
  • rschi123
    words mean things

Yes. I don't have a problem with our shepherds 'leading' or 'empowering' us but the word 'business' struck a (dis)chord with me because it is a synonym not only for 'work' but also for 'trade'. To my mind, what a parish receives in $£€ and offers in sacraments, services, catechesis etc are gifts to the Lord and one another, not trades.

Also, I understand that churches close for financial reasons and that not every priest has administrative skills but I would suggest that that a lack of funds will often exist because a parish does not have enough won souls, committed to its life and mission, to contribute them, which is the real lack.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Although the parish priest is personally responsible, canon law lays down that he should have a finance committee to advise him, so he should not need a good head for business himself.
    I worry that the seminarians I talk to get no advice on how to cook for themselves, in the UK our priest shortage is such that men go almost directly from an institutional environment to living alone. But we have strayed from the topic of this thread!
    Thanked by 1rschi123
  • CharlesW
    OK, let's substitute the term "management skills" for "business skills." Being a pastor is an administrative position requiring good management skills. Those skills include knowledge of human relations, accounting, finance, and management. How many parishes have been run into the ground by holy, yet essentially idiot pastors with no management skills? Despite finance councils, it happens too often.

I worry that the seminarians I talk to get no advice on how to cook for themselves, in the UK our priest shortage is such that men go almost directly from an institutional environment to living alone.

I understand fully. Too many priests have no experience in anything other than the corporation called, "The Church." I have seen them go from high school, to college, to seminary, to being priests with no practical experience in much of anything else.

Also, I understand that churches close for financial reasons and that not every priest has administrative skills but I would suggest that that a lack of funds will often exist because a parish does not have enough won souls, committed to its life and mission, to contribute them, which is the real lack.

That happens when the parish membership shrinks - sometimes caused by "won souls" fleeing the pastor and going elsewhere to get away from him. It also happens from members who never had much in the way of money to begin with, such as an elderly congregation where most are on social security. I have seen instances where those who have the money will not support a parish that is financially mismanaged. Many reasons, not all of them so simple.

But we have strayed from the topic of this thread!

Heck, that's our favorite pastime. LOL.
    Thanked by 1rschi123
  • ronkrisman
    canon law lays down that he should must have a finance committee to advise him

Fixed
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    Then again, I've encountered pastors who were late vocations who had been seasoned in the business world, and who have no idea that the power they possess on paper as pastors in the Roman Catholic church is not what it seems at first blush: it assumes Roman cultural practices of deep and wide behind-the-scenes familiarization and consensus-seeking, not Anglospheric technocratic cultural practices.
  • teachermom24
    The parishes I have known where the priest/pastor focuses on the Mass and other sacraments, never mentions money, and is known as a man of prayer, have never had financial problems. Conversely, those where money is frequently mentioned from the pulpit and in the bulletin, and where the priest promotes costly projects and programs to attract people to the parish, are always "behind" in money matters.
  • Although the parish priest is personally responsible, canon law lays down that he should must have a finance committee to advise him, so he should not need a good head for business himself.

But there is nothing in canon law that says he has to follow their advice. So it's a joke, should or must.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • RPBurke
    As chair of our parish finance committee, I can actually correct the record here: universal canon law requires that there be a finance committee in each parish.
  • teachermom24
    Interestingly, after having just read this thread last Friday, I heard the "parish is a business" model clearly presented during Mass this past Sunday. Right after the homily, Fr introduced a member of the finance council to speak from the ambo (gave the appearance it was an extension of the homily). We are on the verge of a new fiscal year, so got a pep talk on how we need to give more to make up for the current deficit. Mr. S is a financial advisor and he spoke plainly of the parish as a business. He talked about all the "wonderful" programs at our parish and how, if any of us have participated in any of them, we need to be giving more to keep them running. (This reminded me of a PBS fundraiser that said, "If your kids ever watched Sesame Street and learned to read, you need to give us money.") Of course, nothing was said about what the Church means, not one mention of the Mass or any sacraments, nothing about what it means to be Catholic. And, woe be to us, there are so many projects waiting in the wings because we just don't have the money to carry them out (like pew cushions).
  • CharlesW
    Pew cushions are not a necessity. Was it pew cushions in 19th century Russia for fat western behinds? It was not. Is outrage!

However, items such as water, electricity, fuel for the furnace and so on do require contributions. Often these "projects" are not prioritized as levels 1, 2, and so on.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • eft94530eft94530
    We have been down this path in earlier Forum Discussions.
    It is NOT a committee.
    Go to the vatican.va website and look at the Canon Law yourself.