Back into "Ordinary Time"
  • hartleymartin
    So, what happens with your music program as we head back into "Ordinary Time?"

I understand that in many churches the choir takes the summer off (ha! It's a very cold winter here in Australia!)

So, what is the sort of music that comes out for the "great green season?"
  • OraLabora
    Well our small choir (large schola?) recesses for the summer :-)

And we really do have cold winters, last year's was the coldest on record in the past 115 years ("Global warming" Hah! Though I guess it's "Climate Change" now...)

I for one, chanting the Liturgy of the Hours daily, am glad for a return to the frequent celebration of the feast of St. Feria :-)

We sing in a different parish every month, so most I assume are soldiering on with the same insipid (French) music as before (it really is no better than what's done in the English-speaking world). At the abbey where I regularly attend Sunday Mass, it's (Gregorian) business as usual.
  • Liam
    It's been "Climate Change" for decades, too, as people were warned that seasonal weather patterns would likely become more extreme and volatile.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    We're going to be working hard, without the pressure of big feasts. If we don't have a piece ready for one week, we'll use it another. And I plan to make more time to work on fundamentals, esp. reading.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • We don't rehearse in July and August and maybe some of Sept. but we continue singing Mass together using the propers and only an offertory and closing hymn. I will probably favor simpler settings or send out mp3's for Fr. Columba Kelly's more complex antiphons.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CharlesW
    Mid-June through August we rehearse every other week. We use our rehearsals to work on new music and mostly sing familiar pieces for mass. Summer is also a good time to incorporate solos, especially at the times when many are on vacations. Bi-weekly rehearsals free up some time for learning new organ pieces, too.
  • Charles,

When do solos have place at Mass?
  • CharlesW
    At offertory when I need to keep diva sopranos happy so they will continue singing in the choir.
  • SalieriSalieri
    During the summer we will be paring-back some things to save rehearsal time:
    We will do Tietze's Introit Hymns, Seasonal Offertories from LCSG, and the proper Communions from LCSG, and very short Ordinaries: Kyrie II from Kyriale Simplex Mass V, Mozarabic Gloria in English, Sanctus XVIII, and Agnus ad lib II.

We will be using our rehearsal time mainly to delve into music theory/practice: quadratic notation, basics of semiology/paleography (I don't use Old Solesmes), solfege and hexachords, and modern notation basics. We also work on sight-singing and tuning - of course we work on that at rehearsals normally, but this is the time to really work hard without the pressure of performances looming.
  • Charles,

You didn't answer my question.
    As a matter of truth, is a solo by a Diva (soprano or otherwise) in keeping with the nature of the liturgy? Cantors and precentors have specific roles, but these aren't diva soloists.

Keeping diva soloists can't be among the duties of a musician dedicated to the worship of God in the public ceremonies of the Church.
  • BruceL
    CGZ...

Simmah down, nah.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Bruce,

Not boiling. Maybe I misunderstand what you said?

I asked Charles a simple question. The question he answered (which is a valid question) isn't the one I asked.

Cheers,

Chris
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chris, hope you're not near that wildfire in SoCal.
    When our beloved Pope Emeritus, Fr. Benedict, sang Mass at St. Patrick's in NYC, Dr. Jennifer Pascual, Knight of St. Gregory, thought it highly appropriate to have a NY MetOp tenor render the Franck as a pure solo during HC. With few exceptions (happily provided by maestro Latona) CMMD's "keeping" of divas remains SOP in many high profile event Masses. It's an irritant to me. No less egregious than having a bunch of Aussies singing Moore's "Taste and See" at WYD.
    If one chooses to, for example, use Schubert's Mass in G, one chooses to employ the abilities of a coloratura, heldentenor and basso in alternation with the choir.
    The other nuanced answer to the question you asked CDub, "when do solos have place at Mass?", well- the Gradual verse, the Alleluia/Tract verse. Technically, it is licit to have a Cantor/Psalmist soloist perform alone the other Propers as well.
    But I know what you're getting at.
  • When choirs are in recess there are times when a solo would be quite fitting where an anthem would be sung ordinarily at the offertory or during communions. There is much literature for such use that is quite fitting. Bach chorales and arias, Schutz Geistliches konzerten, Couperin solos and duets, Mozart, Distler, and much more if one does his research well. Of course, the literature used for these purposes at liturgy should pass the same strict requirements for text and musical aptness that one uses for hymns, propers, and anthems. Passing such tests, there is nothing wrong with solos. (Perhaps one's negative face towards solos is prompted by the very fact that they are... 'solos'. When understood as anthems sung by one person the light changes for the better.)
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CharlesW
    At offertory - since we, rather you, are nitpicking, let's call it presentation of the gifts - a musical selection by choir, cantor, or other soloist is appropriate. I don't often use offertory propers and do not want to put a fourth hymn into that slot. It took a few years to throw that hymn out. Keep in mind these are NO masses, not EF. Nor do they make any attempt to ape the EF, although they are in compliance with current USCCB regulations and guidelines - as they should be.

BTW, most cantors ARE divas.
  • Charles,

Surely in Masses according to the Missal of Pope Paul VI a solo is even less appropriate than in it is in the venerable form. I once had this point made to me at a First Communion planning meeting: the children should sing everything, I was told, and nothing the children couldn't sing should be sung. The Ave Maria, by Schubert, I was told, could only be used if the children sang it.

Gratefully, it wasn't the pastor who told me this. I haven't used the piece since, but only because I became convinced that Pope Saint Pius X disapproved of its use, and that of other pieces designed more for the operatic stage than for the House of God.

most cantors ARE divas

A thing can be common practice and still be bad.

Charles (Melo),

No, I'm not near the fire in SoCal, because I'm in the southern part of the Republic of Jefferson. [For non-California readers, there's at least one idea that the northern part of California should "secede" from the rest of the state, and this new Republic would be called Jefferson].

My son, on the other hand, is in Santa Barbara. That's closer, isn't it?

Yes, I take completely the point that individual cantors can (and sometimes should) sing individual parts of the propers. I can conceive of a single cantor singing all of the propers if there were true necessity, but these people aren't making themselves the center of attention, but being servants of the liturgy.

I won't take Papal liturgies as the model of anything at this point, though John Paul II said that we should be able to, even as he disregarded the rubrics he issued.

Jackson,

The problem I have with solos is that they are often more suited to the Operatic Stage than they are to the Liturgy. Most people enjoy listening to Mozart's Requiem but wouldn't think it proper for most requia.

God bless,

Chris
  • BruceL
    The problem I have with solos is that they are often more suited to the Operatic Stage than they are to the Liturgy.

As the wise judge said, "You know it when you see it."

Also, the whole forest and trees thing.
  • CharlesW
    Most people enjoy listening to Mozart's Requiem but wouldn't think it proper for most requia.

I wish you could convince the resident EF mass musicians of that. They pull out Mozart often, even though I have noted the works of others are more appropriate.

Surely in Masses according to the Missal of Pope Paul VI a solo is even less appropriate than in it is in the venerable form.

That is your opinion and I don't share it. A well written piece of music with text related to the readings of the day is perfectly acceptable as a solo piece at offertory.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Charles,

Not all Mozart is bad -- and I'm not a fan of Mozart. I won't speak for the EF musicians in your area, but have you ever asked them why they believe what they believe. I think you'll find a modernist if you scratch a bit.

My point about the Missal of Paul VI is this: if "audience participation" [yes, I've actually heard it called this] must be active, operatic bits and solos (not the same thing) are clearly violations of this principle.
    A well written piece of music with text related to the readings of the day

There's that darned "alius cantus aptus" again.
  • During the summer Sundays of the Year, we gather at 9:00 AM to rehearse for the 10:00 AM Missa Cantata (OF). The schedule is pretty much the same. Propers from Graduale Romanum, usually Palestrina or di Lasso motet after the Offertorium, motet after the Communio. Ordinary: chant. Closing: "Salve Regina" Tone 5 simplex.
  • CharlesW
    Not all Mozart is bad -- and I'm not a fan of Mozart

No, he's not and was a very skilled composer. I think the main point with Mozart is that he was primarily a secular composer who occasionally produced something for church. I have mentioned to our EF musicians that Haydn, if they want to do works from that time period, wrote much better choral church music.

There's that darned "alius cantus aptus" again.

It's part of the system now and likely will not go away. I am glad we have a wider range of very good music to choose from - and it has to be good with relevant texts. I wouldn't want to listen to chant and polyphony every Sunday and nothing else. I don't have Renaissance ears, and neither does my congregation - yes, I still use "congregation" and not assembly. Never liked that word. Napoleon's army was an assembly. An interesting side note. When folks visit from other parishes they are baffled by our chant masses. Apparently we are the only parish in town that sings them.
  • Liam
    Mozart's supreme medium was opera (even J.S. Bach - who did write secular music - would probably be stunned at Mozart's musical and dramatic talent in his greatest operas, so when I encounter people who blithely dismiss Mozart, well, it says more about the dismisser than Mozart), and then ensemble music. It certainly inflects his sacred music. But the joys of Mozart are best appreciated being part of a vocal or instrumental ensemble - btw, the way that Bach is often best appreciated being part of a choir.

Haydn is woefully underappreciated.

• SalieriSalieri
    Haydn is woefully underappreciated.

Which one?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No, he's not and was a very skilled composer. I think the main point with Mozart is that he was primarily a secular composer who occasionally produced something for church. I have mentioned to our EF musicians that Haydn, if they want to do works from that time period, wrote much better choral church music.

You beat me, Salieri, Michael is my preference.
    Having just sung JSB "Singet..." and Schubert Mass in G, I'll take Amadeus' ability to write for the VOICE anyday over those two and Beethoven.
  • CharlesW
    What I had in mind were the Joseph Haydn masses for EF use on ceremonial occasions. Our EF chorus leader uses Mozart, which I will agree is better suited for the concert hall. Well, not always concert hall. Veiled soprano in church is more the actuality.
  • Possible mass settings (other than Mozart)

Hassler Missa Secunda
    Byrd Mass for three [four or five] voices
    Palestrina Missa Papa Marcelli
    Charpentier (name escapes me)
  • mahrt
    We sing through the summer. We used to celebrate St. Ann's Day (July 26) and then take off until the beginning of the school year in late September. The Sunday after St. Ann's day one year, I went to the Mass (which was a low Mass for the interim), and saw several choir members in the congregation. I concluded that if they were around, we might as well be singing, so we now sing the year around.
    Concerning Mozart Masses, and particularly the Requiem, these pieces were not written for concert performance, and while Mozart's forte is opera, and I would say also, concerto, his church music is a substantial part of his work. At the time of his death, he was hoping for appointment as choirmaster at St. Steven' Cathedral in Vienna, so he placed a high value upon church music.
    Concerning Mozart's Requiem, it is not for every occasion, but there are very formal occasions on which it is appropriate liturgically. I attended the funeral of Msgr. Schuler at St. Agnes Church in St. Paul. The music elevated that liturgy to a level appropriate for the funeral of this distinguished church musician.
    Concerning the Mass with Pope Benedict at St Patricks Cathedral in New York: my recollection was that at communion, the singer from the Metropolitan belted out "Qui tollis" from the Gloria of Rossini's Messe Solennelle in a most unliturgical manner; it was truly awful.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • SalieriSalieri
    Mozart was reared in Church music: he worked for the Archbishop of Salzburg with Michael Haydn (both musicians' liturgical style is remarkably similar), his father wrote Masses for the Achiepiscopal court. And when Salieri took over as Hofkappelmeister after the death of Giuseppe Bonno be brought several Mozart Masses with him to add to the choir's repertoire. In fact, the Mass of Salieri (who as an excellent liturgical composer) are also similar in construction to the Missae Brevis et Solemnis of Mozart and M. Haydn.

I think one needs to keep in mind that the average Mozart Mass is only Seven movements: I: Kyrie, II: Gloria; III: Credo; IV: Sanctus; V: Benedictus; VI: Agnus Dei; VII: Dona nobis (follows VI without a break), not the multi movement Missa Solemnis such as the Dominicus Mass, Orphanage Mass, "Great" Mass, and Requiem. And solos are generally very short.

Mozart Missa Brevis in D Minor (K. 65)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBnzXm3LXT4
  • Liam
    Funny thing: I first encountered the famous signature of the finale of Mozart's "Jupiter" Symphony not by hearing of a recording of that, but by hearing a recording of the Credo of his Missa Brevis in F, K. 192:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpCPrM6mBoo

So it was illuminating when I heard the "Jupiter" Symphony for the first time....
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen