Gregory Murray Copyright?
  • hartleymartin
    Does anyone know if Gregory Murray's psalm tones are held under copyright? I like to make use of them for responsorial psalms that I have written and would like to share around, but I don't want to end up with a nasty copyright infringement fine!
  • I don't know, but: his "New People's Mass" and his own Responsorial Psalm settings are (c) McCrimmon Publishing Co. Ltd. He was a monk of Downside Abbey, so they may have the copyright in his Psalm tones, which I think he wrote mainly for monastic use.
  • RevAMG
    According to the organ accompaniment book for Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours, published by ICEL, the Gregorian Psalm Tones for English Words by Dom A. Gregory Murray, OSB are copyrighted by L.J. Cary (London).
  • RevAMG
    Also, in the actual Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours book itself, the citation is "Chappell & Co. Ltd., for 'Gregorian Psalm Tones' by Dom Gregory Murray, O.S.B., Copyright © L. J. Cary and Co. Ltd. (Ascherberg, Hopwood & Crew Ltd.)."
  • hartleymartin
    Thanks - Looks like I have to go through a publisher and obtain the license to publish my settings of responsorial psalms that use his psalm tones.