"Ite, missa est, alleluia" on Pentecost Sunday
  • alex
    The OF Graduale Romanum, page 256, states that the Dominica Pentecostes mass shall be ended with: Ite missa est, alleluia, alleluia, as for the octave of Easter.

Does the same practice exist in the EF?
    Can you tell a few words about the history of the tradition of singing "alleluia" at the dismissal?
  • Protasius
    No, in the EF the double Alleluia at the Ite is only sung during the octave of Easter. From Low Sunday inclusively the Ite is without Alleluia.

Some orders such as the Premonstratensian Rite added a single Alleluia during the Rest of Eastertide, but the Roman Rite didn't do that.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen chonak alex
  • tomjaw
    I suspect it is a mistake... or at least a misunderstanding of the similarities / differences between Easter and Pentecost.

There are plenty of books about the history of our Liturgy, will look for some references, when I get some time!
  • mahrt
    I think, rather, that it was intentional, drawing the parallel with Pentecost; Whitsunday (Pentecost) is so called because there were baptisms on the vigil of Pentecost, as at Easter, and the name is actually White-Sunday, referring to the white garments the baptized wore, like Low Sunday (Dominica in albis deponendis--Sunday for the laying aside the white garments}.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen