Memorable Lines from Various Rites and Uses -
  • Liturgy of St John Chrysostom -
    In announcing the Gospel: 'Wisdom! Attend!'

Ordinariate of the Chair St Peter -
    Bidding at the confession during mass: 'Make your humble confession to Almighty God, meekly kneeling upon your knees'.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Liam
    Name that rite:

"Good moooorning, everyone!"
  • Clever, Liam, but er, I had in mind licit locutions.
  • Jackson,

Surely "Good mooooorning, everyone!" is licit under "or other similar words" rubric? (Please notice a lack of purple)

Orate fratres, ut meum et vestrum sacrificium acceptabile fiat apud Dominum Deum nostrum.
  • Except that 'Good mooooooorrrneeng...' is not really 'similar words', is it!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Alius verbus aptus! We've just given the progressives a rationale. Oops.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis

..they are progressing toward extinction
  • tomjaw
    Ab illo + benedicáris, in cujus honóre cremáberis. Amen.

Blessing for heretics incense.
  • Plus a favourite line from a hymn - St John Damascene's colourful Eastertide paean -

'... and led them with unmoistened foot through the Red Sea waters.'
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • jefe
    I have two from the Order for Compline (the 2005 Anglican edition of the Medieval Roman version):
    "In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum" (Into Thy hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit) and near the end of concluding Preces:
    "Abide with us, O lord, for it is toward evening and the day is far spent"
    These offer an insight into Compline.
    Osborn, we sang that translation of the St. John of Damascus (c. 780) text at Eastertide. It's a hoot to see what text translators must do to make it come out with the correct number of beats. The first verse text is: "Come ye faithful raise the strain of triumphant gladness! God hath brought his Israel into joy from sadness: loosed from Pharaoh's bitter yoke Jacobs' sons and daughters, led them with unmoistened foot through the Red Sea waters." The tune was by Moravian hymn tune writer John Horn (or Roh, 1490-1547). At the speed that American Moravians take that tune, it goes by very quickly in English.
    jefe
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    The response from the Prayers After Divine Office:

R. Et beata ubera quae lactaverunt Christum Dominum.

Translated, roughly, as

"Blessed be the paps which gave suck to Christ our Lord."

One of my female friends (a sociology grad student) was praying Vespers with me using a booklet I had made for such a purpose. I'm in the middle of silently reciting the prayers at the end when she smacks me, points to that word, and says, "Really?" :) This probably marks me as a theological deviant, but I still find this prayer fascinating.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • I, too.
    (Are blessed paps any worse than the blessed fruit of a womb?)
    (Methinks that you were not the one who was a deviant.)
  • chonakchonak
    Here's a definition of "uber" from the Lewis & Short dictionary.

My! I wonder if the ride-sharing company knew what they were getting into when they chose the name!
  • JahazaJahaza
    "Holy Things for the Holy!" -- before Communion, Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The entire Byzantine Liturgy is full of memorable lines.

WISDOM!

THE DOORS!

• SalieriSalieri
    I love the formulary for the Confession of Sins at Evensong in the Anglican Rite. [The bits in brackets I couldn't remember and had to look up.]

Dearly beloved brethren, the Scripture moveth us, in sundry places, to acknowledge and confess our manifold sins and wickedness; and that we should not dissemble nor cloak them before the face of Almighty God our heavenly Father; but confess them with an humble, lowly, penitent, and obedient heart; to the end that we may obtain forgiveness of the same by his infinite goodness and mercy. [And although we ought, at all times, humbly acknowledge our sins before God; yet ought we chiefly so to do, when we assemble and meet together to render thanks for the great benefits that we have received at his hands, to set forth his most worthy praise, to hear his most holy Word, and to ask those things which are requisite and necessary, as well for the body as the soul.] Wherefore I pray and beseech you, as many as are here present, to accompany me with a pure heart, and humble voice, unto the throne of the heavenly grace, saying after me.

Almighty and Most Merciful Father; We have erred, and strayed from thy ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts. We have offended against thy holy laws. We have left undone those things which we have ought to have done; And have done those things which we ought not to have done; And there is no health in us. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us, miserable offenders. Spare thou those, O God, who confess their faults. Restore thou those who are penitent; According to thy promises declared unto mankind in Christ Jesus our Lord. And grant, O most merciful Father, for his sake; That we may hereafter lave a godly, righteous, and sober life, To the glory of thy holy Name. Amen.

BTW: I am not Anglican, and did not grow up Anglican. But I like the Anglican liturgy.
  • MatthewRoth
    One of my favorite prayers is the General Thanksgiving after Evensong.

Musically, a favorite phrase is “Cuius regni non erit finis” in Credo III. It helps to recall that his kingdom really is eternal. It was before all ages and after those to come. They placed that line in the Credo because heretics said otherwise on both ends...

After the responsory at EF Compline, “Keep us, O Lord, as the apple of thine eye...” That is a good one.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Well, if we're going to talk about musical phrases...

"Et unam, sanctam catolicam" in Credo III is especially memorable.
    I read someone somewhere describe it as "swaggering."
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Jahaza -
    Yes, 'Holy things for the holy' is profound. It made its way into the Episcopalian's 1979 BCP rite two as 'Holy things for the people of God'.

>

Another nice thing we have in 'the ordinariate' that strictly Roman rite Catholics don't have any more is announcing the banns of marriage at all masses thrice ere the matrimonial day arrives.

>

There is hardly a line of the Coverdale psalter which is not memorable. Some are profound, some are amusing to our minds, some are compelling, but few are lacking some intellectual effect or another. If there is a modern psalter that has the pace, potency, and poetry of Coverdale I have yet to see it. It deserves to be regarded as one of the highest treasures of the English language, and of English worship.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes, 'Holy things for the holy' is profound. It made its way into the Episcopalian's 1979 BCP rite two as 'Holy things for the people of God'.

It's actually, "The Gifts of God for the People of God."
    Since you're not much of a Rite II kinda guy, we'll all forgive you.
  • hartleymartin
    The first time I went to an Anglican Evensong, I had to bite my tongue to prevent myself from laughing at the words "here endeth the lesson."

Psalm 113:7 always gives me a quiet chuckle in some of the older English translations:

"He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth the needy out of the dungheap"

I explain to people this is where get the expression "in the s---" from.
  • ghmus7
    I always thought the exultet has some cool stuff, especially about the bees, and "o blessed night"...
  • mahrt
    Matthew: “Cuius regni non erit finis” is the subject of considerable attention by composers of polyphonic Masses. To represent not having an end, the phrase is repeated more times than any other phrase in the piece. William Byrd's Mass for Four Voices has a tricky spot: on "non erit finis" the music stops without a cadence.
  • Kathy
    "Rejoice, O Virgin Mary, for thou alone have destroyed all heresies in the whole world."
  • ...hast destroyed...

'...alone...'???

Is this assertion orthodox?
    It seems to me that it comes perilously close to extravagantly exceeding the bounds of hyperdulia. If it doesn't poach latria, it assuredly borrows heavily on that which the Father accomplishes through the Son, by whom all things are made in such manner as they are made.

Too, it is questionable that all heresies in the whole world have been destroyed. They are as rampant amongst certain elements of society and within the church as they have been always. Nor do they fail to infect an awful lot of people high and low, in and out of holy orders.
  • chonakchonak
    "Gaude Maria Virgo: cunctas haereses sola interemisti."

The text is from a tract for the common of our Lady, sung in the weeks following Septuagesima. It also appears in certain offices, e.g., for Feb. 2, the Purification of Mary.

As for explanations, I'll be brief. Gen. 3:15. This is enough to explain all the honors the Church has ever given our Lady and ever will: her queenship, her role as mediatrix of all graces, and details which flow from these, such as being the conqueror of heresies.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    here endeth the lesson

When the WASPy, blond hero of Untouchables (Kevin Costner) defeats the greasy Catholic Al Capone, he punctuates his win with this line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVz211iI26o