Presider's Script
  • What normally goes into a "Presider's Script"... I would just assume they use the Roman Missal since all of the rubrics are in their and the only additional item would be the Universal Prayers...
  • BenBen
    There's no such thing as a "presider's script." The priest celebrant prays the prayers of the mass from the Roman Missal. Done.

It's not his script, it not his show. It's the representation of the one inestimable sacrifice to God the Father through his son Jesus Christ, which is accomplished by the priest praying the prayers laid out for him in the missal.
  • Marc Cerisier
    While there is certainly merit to Ben's post, since the missal could not be pointed, I prepare a "text" for all of our principle liturgies.

Here is the text for this Sunday:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttr9py1r3cnkn9k/pentecost%20sunday%20-%2010am%20-%20may%2024%2C%202015.pdf?dl=0

It's pretty quick to do, since we've done it since day one of the new translation, and I have most everything I'd need in InDesign already.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Considering how many options there are in the modern Roman Rite, I can't fault a priest for wanting something in writing to help him follow a particular course of options through the Missal.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • bonniebede
    @ marc this is lovely. I note you don't mention incense at the consecration as per GIRM 150. It seems unbalanced to incense the gifts before they are consecrated, and ignore incensing the Eucharist after the consecration.
    Is there some reasoning behind this?
  • Caleferink
    If one has to prepare a "script" (I shudder at the P-word used before it -- there is no such thing as a mere "p******r" at Mass, and the word always comes up underlined in red in my spell-check), Marc's is a very fine example, especially giving musical notation to the orations. However, maybe outside of the Holy Week liturgies, in a normal parish situation I don't think such a thing is necessary, save for perhaps the Universal Prayer. As @chonak points out, given there are legitimate options at several points, perhaps an outline of what has been chosen (or reminders of variations from the routine, such as the Sequence this coming Sunday [Pentecost]) could also be helpful. A priest shouldn't need much more than that, I would think.
  • JahazaJahaza
    As @chonak points out, given there are legitimate options at several points, perhaps an outline of what has been chosen (or reminders of variations from the routine, such as the Sequence this coming Sunday [Pentecost]) could also be helpful. A priest shouldn't need much more than that, I would think.

At a wedding I was involved in, we printed and bound a one off missal for the presider. In addition to navigating the huge plethora of options in the English missal, it would have required swapping two different books.
  • Liam
    Also, binders of this sort are also common if if there are no servers to hold the Missal, no lectern near the presidential chair, and the celebrant needs larger type, the celebrant needs larger type, et cet.
  • I noticed that Marc's* pointed prayers use the simple tone. My priest is using the simple tone during Easter, as well. Is there a precedent for using it during this season, since ICEL seems to be encouraging the use of the solemn tone in the new Missal?

*Correction: Spelling, even after I checked!
  • Marc Cerisier
    We use the simple tone because that's the tone our rector already knew prior to the new translation. The solemn tone just never settled in for him.

We do also take advantage of the fact we print our own to put the priest's parts in 16-point bold text.
  • Bruce E. Ford
    Pointing symbols appropriate to the collect tone customarily used can advantageously be added to the texts of the orations.