• Theo
    Recently I was asked to provide music for a wedding, but the ethnicity of the couple worries me. I was wondering if any organists, singers, and instrumentalists have provided music for an African wedding. Both the bride and groom are from Western Africa. The ceremony, as I was told, will be like a regular American wedding ceremony and will use Western music. From what I gather, the African communities have developed a bad reputation for extreme tardiness. Should I take on this gig and run the risk of wasting hours of my time waiting for the guests and couple to show up?
  • In America, we may say bad reputation, but for their culture, it is not tardiness but standard (same with the Hispanic community, to some degree). That said, it is a fair worry, but I'd say, if you haven't anywhere else to be, use it as paid practice time!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'll second RS: see if you can negotiate an hourly rate. I once read an entire act of Lohengrin waiting for an East African Lutheran wedding to start, but they were very appreciative of the planned preludes I played after that.
  • BenBen
    If you expect this to happen, I'd agree: go hourly. If, for example, a normal wedding takes two hours from prelude to postlude, cut your normal rate in half and call it your hourly rate. Then there's nothing to loose.
  • Theo,

Approach the couple, explaining that you have something else which awaits you that afternoon, or that you expect to be needed somewhere, and that the people expecting you work on a very punctual schedule. So as to avoid being rude to the later group, and so as to be properly attentive to the wedding, you need whatever information the first group can give you --- before you accept the job.

God bless,

Chris
  • Liam
    I think the hourly rate thing is much less likely to offend than the I-have-a-later-appointment thing.
  • BenBen
    I think the hourly rate thing is much less likely to offend than the I-have-a-later-appointment thing.

Not to mention you can get a fair wage for your time, if you do stay longer... two jobs in one!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Might I offer the caveat of caveats?
    Work with the celebrant as far in advance as you can (both weddings and funerals.)
    It is their preview and provenance that should be engaged prior to the event that determines, ultimately, the length of the service.
  • kevinfkevinf
    While I do not disagree with you melo regarding the celebrant, even they get stuck with the lateness issues also. Sadly, I saw this issue time and again with African weddings. Ultimately, the rule was if you are 20 or more minutes late, there was no wedding. It took one application of the rule and the word got out. It did not happen again.

That rule came from the pastor after many weddings started 30-45 minutes late. Work with your celebrant.
  • ktgal2020ktgal2020
    I agree with working on an hourly basis. [ I don't that any particular race can claim the monopoly on wedding lateness. My experience was with a white bride who arrived 45 minutes late.]
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The last late wedding I experienced was because the bride was having difficulty ladling herself into her dress.

I like Kevin's solution. We're in America now.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I concur with Mssr. Bourbon and JQ. For the first half of my 45 years as a music provider I was still too green to be paid before the wedding, and was stiffed enough times to "get it." I don't want to be paid until the wedding day, so the wedding coordinators diligently collected the stipend at the rehearsal, notified me of transaction, and we were good to go.
    If you bill hourly, what happens afterwards when you're at the console two hours in, an afterwards you have to rush about finding whomever has the chequebook? I realize protocols can be put into place at the office to minimize such concerns, but that increases the number of personnel who'd have to track the money trail, or follow up with the bride's dad (presumably) to recover any discrepancies.
    Once again, I advocate the return of the public wedding sacrament being folded into a scheduled Vigil/Sunday Mass. Lotsa positive outcomes in that solution, not the least of which is the loss of "This Mass is all about meeeeeeee!!!!!"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The last late wedding I experienced was because the bride was having difficulty ladling herself into her dress.

And you know this how exactly? ;-)

I like Kevin's solution. We're in America now.

For now, but how long? God didn't lay hands on Thomas Jefferson.
  • Liam
    Well, the Catholic Church, we're more in Rome than the USA. How would a Roman handle this situation?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ask Kathy.
  • Jeffrey Quick

And you know this how exactly? ;-)

We arrived 20 min. late because we got lost, but the wedding was 30 min. late. We were told that's why (dunno if it was grooms' or brides' people). And it was pretty obvious that it didn't really fit. It was at the U-Us, but I heard the "forever" word, so it was all good with me. (Seems that if we're going to get opinionated about the sex aspect of 1M+1F4Life, then the duration and number aspects are equally fair game.)
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Very often, JQ, you just make my day a little brighter! Thanks, brother.
  • mahrt
    As a student, I played for weddings one year--fifty weddings that year. I quickly adopted a maxim: up to 30 minutes, the wedding is not even late yet, and these were hardly Africans. It was very often the bride, who was late. Not having done this before, she had no idea how long it would take her to get ready.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • kenstb
    Many of us play multiple weddings in a single day at this time of year. I've seen two or three weddings in the same parish before (2 masses and 1 ceremony). It is very important to have some schedule in place before you agree to play. The hourly rate is a great idea. Your time is valuable. Lateness to a wedding inconveniences many people and your priest should be making this clear to the betrothed couple.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn