First Communions at Parents Discretion
  • G
    I have read somewhere, I thought in this forum, of a parish where sacramental preparation for children was done corporately, but the actual first reception of the sacrament happened on the family's timetable, at the parents' dicretion, rather than at a special "First Communion Mass," and so pretty much with as much or as little hoopla as the family desired.
    I cannot find this thread.
    Does anyone recall it?
    Does anyone know of a parish or community where this is done?
    TIA

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BenBen
    I like it that way too. Let the children receive when they are ready. Not before, pushed through with a class, and no needless delay, to wait up for the class.
  • bonniebede
    That is the way it is for home schooled children where we are. The schools being done together is more a matter for practical convenience than anything else. Our diocese recently asked parishes to have first communions by parish rather than by school. but not much is being done to change at the moment, due to the practical difficulties of making such a change.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • eft94530eft94530
    Sat May 2 by 11 am I was musing about this alternative,
    and after the Mass mentioned it to a parish school teacher.

What code book has Agnus Dei translated as "get ready to start talking" ?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Such is the current practice for our homeschool/EF Latin Mass community and for Confirmation, too. My four oldest received the conventional way in large CCD classes, and the youngest two received individually or in small groups at Sunday Mass. We much prefer the latter option.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    When I was in preschool I asked my mother "if I eat the white stuff will I live forever."
    I had a strong desire for --- one might say, a devotion to --- Eucharist all through my "pre-old-enough" days (which persists even today, I might add).

I did not, and do not, understand the sense in forcing me to wait until a particular age when I was deemed ready. I was not too young to understand when I was in preschool, nor am I old enough to understand it now as an adult.
  • canadashcanadash
    When I made my First Communion I received this sacrament prior to my First Confession which was made the next year. Big mistake.

This is why I think children should wait to receive their First Communion, so they can tie it together with frequent reception of Confession and an understanding that one should not go to communion if they are in a state of mortal sin.
  • Canadash,

I take it as given that First Penance should precede First Holy Communion. That doesn't really change the other idea being advanced here, that a child should receive First Holy Communion when he is properly prepared, because that very expression implies preparation for First Penance.

Adam's observation, on the other hand, demonstrates that he has spent much time in the presence of convinced Anglicans, for this is precisely the argument Anglicans make.
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe Adam knows some Orthodox or some Eastern Catholics too.

Byzantine-rite Catholics give infants their Baptism, Chrismation (Confirmation) and first Holy Communion on the same day.
  • canadashcanadash
    CGZ: Oh, I have no problem with children making their First Communion earlier than "the norm" (which around here is 7 years of age). But I think it should not be before the child understands right from wrong and can somewhat articulate their sins in confession.

With regard to the Byzantine-rite Catholics, when do they make their First Confession? Is reception of the Eucharist tied with confession? I don't think this was emphasized enough for me, and I'm hoping I've done a better job with my own children's education in this regard.

Do Anglicans go to confession in the same way RCs do?

• matthewjmatthewj
    Since moving to Phoenix I've grown to really appreciate children being Confirmed before receiving their first Holy Communion. A small handful of Dioceses in the United States have made this their (restored) order of reception of the sacraments and you should write your bishops about it today.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/BISHOPS/ordsacinit.htm
    Thanked by 2canadash hilluminar
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam's observation, on the other hand, demonstrates that he has spent much time in the presence of convinced Anglicans, for this is precisely the argument Anglicans make.

Maybe Adam knows some Orthodox or some Eastern Catholics too.

Byzantine-rite Catholics give infants their Baptism, Chrismation (Confirmation) and first Holy Communion on the same day

While it is true I have spent much time with Anglicans (convinced or otherwise), my feelings about First Communion go all the way back to the childhood experience I mentioned, and are informed in my adulthood by Eastern practice.

If communion has to wait till [some age] because I have to understand it, then I should have been able to receive it when I was 4 or 5. I understood better than most. If understanding is not required (as the Greeks say), then I should have been able to receive it along with Baptism as an infant.

There is no sensible theology --- other than the theology of rule-following and age-cohort-grading --- that required me to wait until I was in second grade.

Frankly, I think the Byzantine way is the best way. In the mean time, I think ridding the world of SECOND GRADE FIRST COMMUNION MASS would greatly imrpove the lives of every parent, child, and religious education teacher.
    Thanked by 3Ben Gavin G
  • chonakchonak
    Let's not misunderstand someone's views. Latin-rite discipline doesn't say that children need to fully "understand" the sacrament of the Eucharist before they can receive it:

Can. 913 (1): The administration of the Most Holy Eucharist to children requires that they have sufficient knowledge and careful preparation so that they understand the mystery of Christ according to their capacity and are able to receive the body of Christ with faith and devotion.
  • canadashcanadash
    "According to their capacity" has to be the teaching or else every child with a learning disability would be precluded from having their First Communion, and that would be a travesty.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood G
  • G
    I think ridding the world of SECOND GRADE FIRST COMMUNION MASS would greatly imrpove the lives of every parent, child, and religious education teacher.

Let the Church say Amen...
    "According to their capacity" has to be the teaching or else every child with a learning disability HUMAN BEINGwould be precluded from having their First Communion

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)