St. James Press membership, worth it?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    There's no doubt that the "package" at St. James Press in NC is quite attractive, and not really expensive considering the abundance of compositions available there. The only thing I've ever purchased singly there is Richard Shepherd's "Canons and Crotchets." Anyone have an opinion as to whether it's too much to slog through for whatever choral gems lie within all the indices? How does it compare/contrast to CanticaNova or other collections, etc.?
  • kevinfkevinf
    Good stuff. I subscribe. I find something useful in about every package.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Gavin
  • I couldn't imagine not having a subscription. It's a wonderful resource. Being intended for Episcopal churches, the music is more apt to be of a higher quality and much of what is offered by other publishers.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gentlemen,
    Thanks. When one subscribes, does SJP automatically send new material to audition as well as promoting their existing stock?
  • GavinGavin
    The SJMP subscription is great. They have excellent material of all levels, and it's not too expensive.

I don't know that they've ever sent me a packet of anthems to audition (or, as I call it, junk mail), but they do regularly send e-mails trumpeting recently added compositions, which are of varying quality. It's much better in my mind to simply browse their catalog online (which is very helpfully categorized and laid out) and select attractive options there.

Totally go for it!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Went for it! Got five hot off for rehearsal tonight. How we loves us some sight-reading.
    Thanks, gentlemen.