Looking for Falsobordone Chants
  • SalieriSalieri
    I am trying to put together a book for a choral Vespers service I am planning, and am looking for Falsobordone settings of all the tones of the octoechos, particularly those of Lassus, but other composers as well. I have tried looking on IMSLP and found nothing; several of his Magnificat settings are on CPDL, which also has Viadana's Falsobordoni for the Magnificat.

Does anyone know what collection(s) I should be looking in? (I may take a trip down to the local university library to see if they have it/them if I can't find them on-line.)

Thanks.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    There are falsobordoni for 2-4 voices and continuo, by Lassus' sons and their contemporaries in Philomela coelestis (Munich, 1624)
    Thanked by 3Salieri CHGiffen igneus
  • rich_enough
    Bud Clark has a collection of tones by Lassus, Viadana, etc. here.

You can find 5-voice falsobordones by Victoria here (bottom of the page).

I have set various falsobordone by Renaissance composers to English psalm verses at the Chabanel psalms website.
    Thanked by 3Salieri igneus Heath
  • Heath
    Salieri, please share when you have the various tones pointed or fully-written out!
  • mahrt
    The recent collected edition of Lassus has a volume which contains quite a few falsobordone compositions.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    That's vol 25 of Sämtliche Werke, neue Reihe. I recall the preface making the attribution to the master seem highly dubious, but "circle of…" still carries a certain cachet ;-)
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • mahrt
    Yes, when it comes to things like falsobordone, attribution is difficult. I have used one from the Lasso edition, which I later found quoted in the article on falsobordone in the New Grove Dictionary, given as from a Spanish source of about 1500.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have to confess: I broke down yesterday, and bought vol. 25 of the Barenreiter New Lassus edition.

Well, now I feel better.
    Thanked by 2Heath CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Victoria also has 4-parters, labeled Dixit I, Dixit VII &c

I was just hunting for something Spanish and came across a very large collection, Psalmodia modulata (Vol 6 of Pedrell's Hispaniae schola).