Schola singer fees for a sung high nuptial Mass
  • MariaRist
    I have a schola of up to 15 volunteer singers who regularly sing for the Ordinary Form and Extraordinary form, at no charge. They put in many volunteer hours per week already. We are now being asked to sing in a couple of weddings - a solemn high Mass and an ordinary form Mass with the full Gregorian propers. I don't feel right about asking our singers to volunteer for what would be about 10+ hours, including rehearsals and the wedding day. Who has has experience with wedding scholae for hire? How have you structured the fees? Any suggestions?

What I was thinking was to offer the schola to couples at $100 per singer, with a minimum of two to execute the propers and any vocal solos. Three to do some simple harmony, with eight or more for part security and more options for choral music. Does this seem reasonable or outrageous? It boils down to $10/hour, not counting private practice time.

Who among you has done this?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It depends how good they sound.
  • MariaRist
    Assuming a well-prepared schola with a polished sound...
  • Kathy
    This sounds appropriately generous to me. They can opt for the small group and that will be a good price. Or they can go hog wild on the big group. Unless they are being uncharacteristically frugal about wedding expenses, this is NOT going to be a big part of their budget.

The issue I wonder about is how things will be managed in the schola. Most likely there will be a payday for some and not for others. It's possible to cause a new friction.
    Thanked by 2MariaRist CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    That is not unreasonable. But I agree it could cause friction.
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • Jeffrey Quick
    If it's an all-volunteer group, why not collect the fee for the group, to be used for music, instrumentalists for important feasts, or whatever?
  • MariaRist
    Good point about the friction. Though the humility among this particular crop of singers is truly humbling to me. But maybe as a group we should form a plan to prevent some of that friction, or at least acknowledge it up front, with everyone being free to opt out. Professional orchestras for hire must face this same issue. At least none of us would be depending on the income for our livelihood. Thanks for raising this concern.

I'm still wondering what other major churches are offering to wedding couples in this regard. Our pastor wants to see a price comparison, and he understandably wants to make sure this is offered as an optional service, with no monetary connection to the parish.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    You might consider offering the group for a fee of $500, since they are volunteer musicians and obviously enjoy doing this. Then use that fee to do dinner and drinks at a local greasy spoon. Depending on cost of items where you are, that should pay for a sandwich and beer for each choir member. At that payment, you'll get booked far more frequently - and thus more frequent sandwiches. And once you learn the wedding propers, you'll just need a quick brush-up before each wedding.
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • canadashcanadash
    We don't offer anything like what you are proposing for weddings in the parish. I've debated it, but it is tough when things turn to money.

That being said, an honest conversation with all those involved is a good place to start. Ask what they are willing to do for what price (or for dinner/beer). You may be pleasantly surprised at what you find out and the guessing is eliminated. And yes, your pastor is quite right, it must be an optional service. Could you imagine getting married and being told you must spend $1500 on music? Though I do understand that you were never proposing this.
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • MariaRist
    One reason for direct payment to the musicians is to insure they will indeed commit to rehearsals and show up for the wedding. Usually wedding couples would expect this assurance for any professional service. Also, it is standard to pay musicians for their service at weddings, even though friends and family members will sometimes decline payment. It wouldn't make sense for single-cantor weddings with simple music at our church to be paid at a decent rate, but then ask the choir to make a significant group schedule commitment and sacrifice of family time, in exchange for a meal. I think that might lead to resentment, considering all that we already ask of them. Most of us already have very full schedules, so frequent bookings is not a goal. I feel that getting a little money for doing a wedding occasionally is a welcome treat, and it affirms the value of our service.

I also recognize that the music will not be a carbon copy at every Mass. The wedding propers are superseded by 1st and 2nd class feasts, and we will want to offer varied motets, choice of Ordinary, etc. Plus, we may get a different subset if singers each time who have not rehearsed previously... hence the allowance for adequate rehearsal time before each wedding.

Thanks, everyone for your ideas so far.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • MariaRist
    By the way, the first couple we presented this to has requested as many singers as we can get, with no complaint about the fees. And these are young folks of little means who are paying for their own wedding. The second couple has already said they the sky is the limit on this liturgy. I think what will happen is that some singers will refuse the fee individually, thus lowering the cost, but this structure allows singers to be compensated appropriately without feeling any shame for it.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Kathy
    Wonderful!
    Thanked by 1MariaRist
  • Elmar
    Slightly different situation: Our schola started to offer singing the ordinary and propers at funerals. In contrast to weddings, there is obviously no time to schedule extra rehearsal except immediately before the service; limiting the commitment expected from the singers. On our first occasion, five out of twelve were available (on Wednesday, being asked on Easter Sunday).

The (preliminary) arrangement is that we get paid for the schola as a whole, to which no one has complained by now. Difference again: unlike weddings, funerals are usually during most members' working hours; showing up or not therefore isn't a sign of their level of commitment.
    Thanked by 1MariaRist