Out of curiosity...
  • SalieriSalieri
    Has anyone survived in a position during a change of pastor?
  • TCJ
    I've been through three pastor changes. I survived all the way through the first one, ended up resigning after the second one (pressured to, more or less). I resigned about six months after the third change (at a different church, of course) too but that wasn't due to the new pastor but that I got a better job. I guess you could say that I have a 66% survival rating so far.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Spriggo
    In my present position, I've served three pastors - one for 7 years, one for 15 years, and the present one for 4 years.
    Thanked by 2Salieri Jes
  • SalieriSalieri
    Some background: I've been in my current position for 9 years, and it is my first position as an organist/DM, and the current pastor has been here for 29 years, so needless to say, I have never been in this situation before: Roughly how much upheaval should I be prepared for?
  • benedictgal
    Yes and no. The Music Director used to be paid, but the new pastor decided that the position should be voluntary. She is still here, but I don't know for how much longer. The quality of music has suffered.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Current tenure:
    1993-2004 First pastor (deceased)
    2004-2014 Second pastor (promoted Vicar of Diocese)
    2014-present, Third pastor
    Thanked by 2Salieri BruceL
  • canadashcanadash
    Last pastor change was four years ago. No problem. :)

ETA: We prayed scores of rosaries for a sympathetic priest and our cry was heard!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I once made the switch from singing the Introit before Mass as a prelude to singing the Introit for the procession on the weekend of a pastoral change. At a normal, blue collar parish. With a choir that specialized in Gospel music until I became the DM. After Mass the priest told me to just keep doing what I was doing and that he had other things to change first (procedures of servers, ushers and EMs) before he thought about music. I stayed several more years until someone offered me a bucket full of money to do big orchestra protestant anthems at Catholic Masses and then left.

He didn't change the chant until the week AFTER I left.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • dad29
    First job 20 years, new pastor came in--a radical progressive--was offered another slot so I left. Second job, left for a better slot (EF). After 10 years there, voluntarily left, was asked to return. After 5 more years, new pastor, got fired. Held two simultaneous part-time slots following that, two new pastors, got fired by both. (These last two were money issues; in one, the new pastor wanted a bigger slice of the pie for himself--yes, that's true--in the other, the parish was on the ragged edge.)

• In some churches it is customary for all staff to resign at a change of rectorship or pastorship. Often, this is a formality and the resignation is not accepted. But it isn't rare for such resignations (or some or one of them) to be accepted so that the new pastor can appoint the person of his choosing. This is both a polite formality, and a polite way of allowing the new man not to have to ask for a desired resignation.
  • SarahJ
    As a musician, 10 years and 3 pastors, but as the DM this is my first experience with a change of pastor. I actually was going to resign, but then when I learned he wanted to bring true sacred music back to the parish, I wanted to be a part of it. So I hope he will keep me!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is both a polite formality, and a polite way of allowing the new man not to have to ask for a desired resignation.

I would be worried about engaging in this ritual, because I am not convinced that every (or even most) priests know about it. It could be.... misinterpreted.
  • matthewjmatthewj

I would be worried about engaging in this ritual, because I am not convinced that every (or even most) priests know about it. It could be.... misinterpreted.

The ministers in those denominations/churches that do the everyone-resigns thing all know about it. And if they happen to be someone new, they're told what's going on. It's not just a pop quiz of "how will MINISTER X react when EVERYONE RESIGNS AT ONCE?"
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    Just survived a pastoral change. For me it was a move up the ladder as the new pastor is very supportive of my work. It is an upheaval though and some of the staff did not wish to stay on with the new pastor. It is what it is..

Sometimes it goes well and sometimes it does not. Aspera ad astra..

From the bourbon lands...
  • marajoymarajoy
    New pastor came 1.5 years ago. On Palm Sunday he made to me (what seemed to me) a cryptic remark about "making some changes after Easter." So. Ask me again in a few months. Or years, as the pace seems to be around here.
  • SalieriSalieri
    So, it's official: The current pastor's last day will be June 30th of next year. We'll see what the future holds . . .
  • SalieriSalieri
    So, we've got the New Guy. He's young, quite conservative, a multi-linguist, and is keen to chant his parts of the Mass (and has a good voice, to boot)! I don't want to jinx it, but it seems that this will be a very smooth transition, and a plus for the music program.

Let's see if I can convince him to join me at the Colloquium next year! ; )
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    We've got the first Sunday Masses with the New Guy tomorrow -- prayers would be appreciated!
  • CharlesW
    We got a new associate this morning. He's very young - I probably have tee shirts older than him. He asked if we knew how to sing the "Our Father" and would it be OK if he chants his parts of the mass, and do we sing the "Kyrie." :-) Big smiles all around.
  • Charles,

Be sure to thank him, and to encourage him, and to be supportive of him....
  • canadashcanadash
    Charles,

We lost our associate this week. He sounds a lot like your fledgling priest. He was just thirty when he came to our Parish two years ago. At his last Mass with us He thanked the choir saying that one of his favourite Masses was The Feast of Christ the King, 2015. He asked if we could have a Mass sung in its entirety, and we did it. It was wonderful. I must admit I've shed a few tears. He will be missed.
  • JesJes
    Yup I've survived in 3 parishes, change of pastor 2 times each. Mind you the choice out here for catholic organists who can conduct are slim in the countryside round here. I'm sure if someone better came along I'd be gone.