gradual & alleluia(s) for OF nuptial mass in Paschal Tide
  • Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading other posts in this forum, I gather that at an OF mass, the gradual is sung between the first and second readings, and then the alleluia before the gospel. Now, in Paschal Tide, the gradual is replaced by the 2nd alleluia.

Does this mean that, for a nuptial mass, one would sing the 2nd alleluia [Benedicat vobis] between the two readings and then the 1st alleluia [Mittat vobis] after the second reading? I've never heard them separated like this.

Basically, I'm planning the music for a OF wedding on a Saturday in Paschal Tide, and I can't quite figure out what to do with respect to the gradual/alleluia(s), i.e., where they go and what order they come in. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Let me make sure I understand your question. The OF wedding is taking place on a Saturday in the Easter season, yes? But not April 11, yes? A reading from the Acts of the Apostles followed by the gospel, right?

The praenotanda to the 1974 Graduale Romanum say:
    9· Quoties una tantum fit lectio ante Evangelium, post eam cantatur Responsorium Graduale vel Alleluia cum suo versu. Tempore autem paschali canitur alterutrum Alleluia.

9. Whenever there is only one reading before the gospel, it is followed by either the gradual responsory or the Alleluia with its verse. During the Easter season one or the other Alleluia is sung.

The GIRM says:
    63. When there is only one reading before the Gospel:
    a) during a time of year when the Alleluia is prescribed, either an Alleluia Psalm or the Responsorial Psalm followed by the Alleluia with its verse may be used;
    b) during a time of year when the Alleluia is not foreseen, either the Psalm and the Verse before the Gospel or the Psalm alone may be used;
    c) the Alleluia or the Verse before the Gospel, if not sung, may be omitted.

So it seems to be that the only chant between the readings is the alleluia [Mittat vobis].

Forgive my ignorance but I can find no alleluia [Benedicat vobis]. What am I overlooking?

Blessings,
    Paul
  • The wedding is in fact on 2nd May. There will be two readings and then the gospel.

My understanding is that outside Paschal Tide, the gradual is sung between the two readings, and then the alleluia between the 2nd reading and the gospel. Now, in Paschal Tide, the gradual is replaced by the 2nd alleluia, but as was pointed out in another post, no 2nd alleluia is given in the GR. The suggestion was to take the 2nd alleluia from the EF [Benedicat vobis].

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/10837/gradual-and-alleluia-in-an-ordinary-form-nuptial-mass-easter-season/p1

I suppose my question really boils down to the order in which these elements come. According to the above, it would be:

1st reading
    2nd alleluia [Benedicat vobis]
    2nd reading
    1st alleluia [Mittat vobis]
    gospel

However, this seems a little strange to me, as I have never seen the two alleluias separated from one another like this, and in the reverse order, as normally, the 2nd alleluia follows immediately after the first.

At any rate, thanks for taking the time to answer, Paul.
  • JDE
    When I did an all-chant wedding during Paschaltide a few years ago, we did Alleluia Mittat vobis after the first reading and Alleluia Benedicat vobis after the second. This was based on the way I interpreted what was in the GR about the Alleluias in Paschaltide and the list of choices for the Missa pro Sponsis.
  • JDE's method is exactly what I have done.

Radagasty, the language of the Gradual being 'replaced by' the Second Alleluia is the problem. It is probably better to think about the chants as having a specific order, like this, in the OF:
    1) Gradual
    2) Alleluia OR Tract OR Sequence+Alleluia
    3) 2nd Alleluia

Then delete the Gradual in Paschaltide; use the Tract instead of the Alleluia in Lent. No. 3 only applies to Paschaltide.

For the EF, the chart would be:
    1) Gradual
    2) Alleluia OR Tract
    3) 2nd Alleluia OR Sequence

I hope that helps.