Encouragement for Home School Musicians
  • williamjm
    This is a post for all the homeschooling high school musicians and homeschooling parents on Musica Sacra. Yesterday, I received an acceptance letter from the University of Notre Dame. What's more, I have been home schooled my entire life, as well as an organist since 2010. I follow my home schooled brother who graduated with honors in 2012. I would just like to say that being home schooled does not disqualify you at all from getting into the best schools in the nation. So keep working, fighting, and praying!
  • canadashcanadash
    Thanks William! This is encouraging!

Congratulations to you and wishes for every blessing as you continue your studies!
    Thanked by 1williamjm
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Good for you, pal. Keep going! : )
    Thanked by 1williamjm
  • EMH
    Congrats on the acceptance, William! Thanks for the encouraging message. We should be friends :)
    Thanked by 1williamjm
  • williamjm
    Thank you, everybody, for your kind words! I dare say, I am so relieved to finally have the decision. I was verging on a nervous breakdown. A huge part of my application was the organist job I have had since 2010. Music makes everything better!

Agreed, EMH.
    Thanked by 1EMH
  • bonniebede
    well done -home schoolers rock.
    Can't wait to tell the home schooled kids in my schola about you.
    Thanked by 3williamjm Ben Heath
  • TCJ
    Another home-schooler here. It never prevented me from landing a job at a church.
    Thanked by 2williamjm canadash
  • EMH
    This can be the thread where all of the homeschooled musicians congregate! They are quite awesome. I love my job as a cantor. I know that Christendom college offers a minor in Liturgical music, so I am visiting this summer to see what that is like.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    I was homeschooled K-12 as well, and I'm now working on my CS degree, with also doing quite a bit of music on the side. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I'll be the first to say homeschooling isn't a good fit for every family, but for those it does fit well, it's absolutely fantastic.
  • williamjm
    Amen, Mr. Yanke. Homeschooling has been a blessing that I can never appreciate enough.
  • CGM
    What's an mg CS degree?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I think Ben meant "my CS" degree (computer science).
    Thanked by 2francis Ben
  • BenBen
    Yup.
  • Kathy
    Home school spelling.... (j/k)
    Thanked by 1Heath