Annunciation: what did you hear/play/sing?
  • BenBen
    I'll post mine in a bit when I find my worship aid. What did everyone else hear or do?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Prelude - something by Pergolesi
    Rorate Caeli
    Kyrie IX
    Gloria VIII
    LCM Psalm
    LCM Verse before the Gospel
    Arcadelt Ave Maria
    Sanctus/Agnus Dei VIII
    LCM Communion
    The Angel Gabriel
    Postlude - something else by Pergolesi
  • I've always thought that his 'something else' was a far more mature work than his 'something'. Are there any other opinions about this?
  • MatthewRoth
    The only thing worth reporting was hearing "The Angel Gabriel" at Communion. They'd obviously been working on it for a while.
  • I heard something amazing. At the TLM Missa Cantata I attended, the music was by the book, propers from the Liber, with Mass VIII and Credo III, very nicely sung by the parish schola of men and women. What was amazing was the 5-6-7 year old boy in the seat next to me. I was duly impressed to hear him and his elder sister heartily singing the Kyrie and Gloria of Missa de Angelis, and reading along the notation in the program.

This turned to utter amazement when he kept singing along during the Gradual and Tract! His mother occasionally pointed out to him in the program the words of what was being sung (there was no notation for those pieces). He sang along both notes and words, maybe a split second behind the schola!

When the Offertory came (the exquisite Ave Maria from Advent), he started singing along again. I had brought my Liber to follow the propers (without singing them myself). So I showed him my Liber and pointed out the notation with my finger, at which point, he bent over a little and sang the rest out of the book! What a talent God has given this boy!

After Mass, the family left right away—it was an evening Mass, maybe a bit late for such young ones. So I didn't meet or talk with them.
  • Pontifical High TLM

Hymn at the Procession: "Praise We the Lord This Day" (Swabia)
    Proper: Gregorian chant
    Ordinary: Missa super dixit Maria (Haßler) KGSBA; Credo III
    Motet at the Offertory: Gabriel angelus (Marenzio)
    Hymn at the Offertory: Ave maris stella (Gregorian chant, mode I)
    Motet I at the Communion: Dixit Maria (Haßler)
    Motet II at the Communion: Ave Regina Cælorum (Soriano)
    Hymn at the Conclusion: "The God Whom Earth and Sea and Sky" (Eisenach)

Semi-random noodling on the barely-functional toaster before Mass, after the Gospel, and after Mass.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • matthewjmatthewj
    This has nothing to do with Sullivan's cool story, but his story reminded me of a recent post on the Facebook Organists group.

An organist posted that they were driven insane throughout the service because it seemed the organ was acting oddly / slightly out of tune / certain pipes were sounding when he wasn't trying to get them to sound. He was later alerted (after trying to find the problem) that a man brought his flute with him and played along from the congregation.
  • SalieriSalieri
    At least he didn't bring his bagpipes...
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Aristotle, I saw Fr. Z's report on your TLM yesterday and was admiring the program. Pictures here.
  • Saint Edward, Newark CA Missa Cantata (EF) for the Annunciation
    Mass setting: "Missa super Dixit Maria" ... Hans Leo Hassler
    Complete Gregorian proper.
    Choral Prelude: Motet: Dixit Maria ,,, Hassler
    Offertory Motet: "Ave Maria" a 5 ... Palestrina
    Communion Motet: "Ecce virgo concipiet" ... Heinrich Isaac
    Retiring Procession: "Ave Regina coelorum" ... Orlando di Lasso
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • There was no regularly scheduled parish mass for the Annunciation, though there was a mass for some of the school children. We usually have a weekday mass on Wednesdays, but it was canceled for Lent, we only have three priests in residence you see.
    Thanked by 2G irishtenor
  • Kathy
    David, I wonder if that boy might be a graduate of Mary Ann Carr Wilson's programs, who now lives in the area.

Solemn high Mass, propers sung beautifully by a schola I feel I can no longer take any credit for. I was their first chant teacher, by which I hope to shave off a few years of purgatory. A group of four sisters, they currently sing at both Anglican Ordinariate (Palmer Burgess propers) and EF Vespers every week, plus a lot of feast day singing. They just keep moving forward in an astonishing way. The eldest is 23. They are amazing.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    That is so sad, StephenMatthew. What would Pope Francis say to that, I wonder. I'm not always in perfect harmony with papal statements, but I do greatly admire the Holy Father's pastoral strategy of accompaniment. (cf. Karol Wojtyla)
  • Kathy
     We usually have a weekday mass on Wednesdays, but it was canceled for Lent...

Wha???
  • ronkrisman
    Lord, who threw out these forty (-four) days?
  • OlbashOlbash
    Music for Solemnity of the Annunciation
    Solemn High Mass
    Wednesday, March 25, at 7:00 p.m.
    St. Adelaide Parish
    712 Lowell Street
    Peabody, Massachusetts

Ordinary: Missa "Te Deum Laudamus" (Lorenzo Perosi)
    (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei)

Prelude: “Ave Maris Stella” (Jehan Titelouze)
    Hymn: “The God Whom Earth and Sea and Sky” [EISENACH]
    Introit: Vultum tuum (Gregorian Chant)
    Gradual: Diffusa est (Gregorian Chant)
    Tract: Audi filia (Gregorian Chant)
    Offertory: Ave Maria (Gregorian Chant)
    Hymn: "Ave Maris Stella" (Gregorian Chant)
    Communion: Ecce Virgo concipiet (Gregorian Chant)
    Motet: “Maria, Mater Gratiae" (Gabriel Fauré)
    Hymn: “Immaculate Mary” [LOURDES HYMN]
    Postlude: Grand Chœur on “Ave Maris Stella” (René Vierne)
  • G
    No music.
    No Gloria.
    No genuflection during Creed, because no Creed.
    No homily.

No hope.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • ghmus7
    Here's our Worship Aid
  • ghmus7
    BTW, you may notice the preponderance of the music pointing to Christ first, then Mary. This is due to some very good liturgical theology teaching by our Rector, who believes that this feast is principally Christological rather than Marian.
  • BenBen
    Latin (except readings) Sung Mass in the Ordinary Form - Cincinnati Oratory.

Processional appeared to be improvised on the chants.

Int, Tr, Co (w/ vs): Gregorian
    Gadual: Chant Abreges (I believe)
    Of: the simple chant Ave Maria (I don't know how else to refer to it).
    Celebrant's audible prayers (sans canon) - sung

Ordinary (sans creed): Missa Super Dixit Maria (Hassler)
    Credo III, alternatim choir/Cong

Readings: sung in english to their respective tones from the Roman Missal.

Prelude: Ave Maris Stella (Hassler)
    Offertory Motet: Dixit Maria (Hassler)
    Communion Motet: Magnificat quinti toni (Hassler)
    Recessional Hymn: Sing we of the Blessed Mother (Rustington)

I will also point out that the tone and intonationon the polyphonic pieces was especially pure and precise.
  • matthewjmatthewj

Offertory Motet: Super Dixit Maria (Hassler)

They sang SUPER DIXIT MARIA at the Offertory?
  • BenBen
    Corrected.... I initially typed up the list from memory. I just edited my post and added details, now that I found the worship aid.