Fr. Z takes a poll on the EF "Dialogue Mass"
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    http://wdtprs.com/blog/2015/03/ask-father-extraordinary-form-dialogue-masses/

. . . and poll participants who want the people to respond are winning by 20 points! It's interesting to see the reaction of the people in the pews in favor of this statement:

Everyone should respond to everything and even sing the Our Father and Gregorian chant Ordinary (Kyrie, Gloria, Creed). (35%, 355 Votes)
  • stulte
    Better hurry up and vote everyone! The “winners" get their way with the way everyone else around them prays for the next 50 years in Holy Mother Democracy!
  • Richard R.
    ...because we haven't had enough imposing of "what everybody wants" the past four decades.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    When "what everybody wants" concurs with the teaching of several preconciliar popes, an ecumenical Council and Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI, what's not to like about it?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. Even SSPX America on their official website calls for the people to participate according to the degrees of participation enumerated in De Musica Sacra so those who would impose silence on EF congregations may find it increasingly difficult to achieve consensus.

It's a rather fascinating evolution of attitude. It was about six years ago that my local diocese publicly announced that "no audible responses" were to emanate from the pews during the Latin Mass.
  • Kathy
    The Pater Noster? Everybody?
  • GavinGavin
    Poll alert!
  • rogue63
    And the other 65%, more or less, want silence.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    When "what everybody wants" concurs with the teaching of several preconciliar popes, an ecumenical Council and Popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI, what's not to like about it?

Tradition.
    On alternate Tuesdays (and this is one of them), I think the whole liturgical movement was a mistake. Once they started mucking with the Red, the Black was also fair game. Things might have looked rosy in the days of Pius X and TLS, but the movement quickly got out of control. It wasn't a total disaster; I'd rather not sing Medicean chant or bowdlerized chant hymns. But Sunday I get to help celebrate a rite which was in use for one decade of the Church's 2 millennia. That genie won't go back in the bottle, and on the OTHER Tuesdays, I'll regret not setting this whole post in purple. But I think it's legitimate to ask what it cost us to start driving down that icy hill.
  • Kathy
    I think there is something marvellous about holy mumbling.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    What's that word that begins with "dominenonsumdignus" that's spoken so quickly?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    I've never been able to keep up with that one
  • SalieriSalieri
    Isn't it something with 'tectonics'?
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • quilisma
    We do 1, 2 & 3 on Fr. Z's list in Low Masses. For Sung Masses it would be 1 & 3 as the choir is singing the Introit during the Confiteors and the congregation cannot follow. The Our Father is still reserved for the priest alone, except for the "sed libera nos...". Such an approach seems fairly standard here in France.
    I did go to a Low Mass when I was back in England last year and found it somewhat disconcerting that the congregation said nothing at all for the whole Mass. Not even Kathy's "holy mumbling". All responses were done by the servers at a whisper.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The Polish Pope said in his marvelous apostolic exhortation, Catechesi Tradendi, that the teacher of the faith has to be able to say with Christ, "My words are not mine, but He who sent me."

So, you are free to say what you want of course, but if you want to present yourself as a credible teacher of the Faith, then you have to back up your words with more than your own opinion. If you want to dismiss out of hand what many popes have asked for, you certainly have the right to do that, but let's not pretend that your opinion is "tradition" or rooted in anything other than your own liturgical whims and preference.

If we're not presenting the teaching of the Church, then we're just offering our own ideology; it's one or the other. If you want to present it as the teaching of the Church, or as the Church's tradition, do us all a favor and back it up with a source.

Just sayin.'

BTW, according to De Musica Sacra, it is perfectly lawful that the congregation say the Pater Noster at an EF Mass. It may not be my preference, nor yours, but let's remember, that what a higher authority has permitted, a lesser authority may not forbid. In a video I put up recently of an EF Missa Cantata celebrated by the Institute of the Good Shepherd in France, the whole congregation sang the Pater Noster, and, surprise, surprise, the roof didn't fall in.

I would also point out that the priest who offered that Mass, Fr. Paul Aulignier, was for many years, very close to Arbp. Lefebrve, who by the way, himself, not only signed Sacrosanctum Concilium, but is on record as being open to some of the early reforms that we saw right after the Council.

So, it may surprise some that, as I said earlier, even the SSPX on this question is on the side of the early liturgical movement, the preconciliar popes, Cardinal Ratzinger, Vatican II, Pope John Paul II and Benedict XVI.
    Thanked by 1SeasonPsalt
  • OK, I voted. "I just do what everyone else does."
    Which shouldn't really affect anyone.

No, it's not spinelessness and not wanting to stand out.
    It has to do with unity, especially in the Mass. Jesus prayed for this in the garden. I try hard not to argue with Him.

If the congregation holds hands during "Our Father" (like they did when I attended Mass at the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala when I attended there) I hold hands. If they cross themselves during the Confiteor (they do in my congregation) I cross myself. If not I don't. If some follow one tradition and some another, then and only then do I feel I have choice.

The time to argue about what should or should not be done in a Mass at a parish in communion with the Church are places like here, or Fr. Zs blog, or at Colloquium etc.

NOT DURING HOLY MASS!

And I believe strongly in geographic parishes. If you don't like your neighborhood's parish, too bad, so sad. Guess where you should be?

If I lived in Saint John XXIII's area of responsibility (do they have one? - I did attend with friends once when it was St. Boniface) I would go to Latin Mass.

If I lived in Oakland I would attend St. Paul. (Now I will admit I normally attend St. Paul for Christmas Eve Midnight Mass every year, and I used to attend Easter Sunday there. But I always had the impression my priest would prefer my family attend attend MY parish for the big ones. I have no idea if he had anything to do with it but they scheduled me as lector Palm Sunday and Easter - hmmmm).

If you are technically correct, and cause division within your congregation during Holy Mass, then I say you are technically incorrect and should discuss the issue with your confessor.

Discussing issues like these in a venue like this forum is a great idea, and I really appreciate it, it's a good place to do it. There's a LOT of education and experience here, honestly I am humbled as I learn things on this forum. As long as correction is humble, otherwise you have your reward here.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well stated, Season Psalt, but I hope you don't think I was advocating for division and warfare within my congregation, or that I try to shout out the responses if others are mumbling or silent, etc., since I don't do that either. I agree with you that for the sake of unity one should when in Rome do as the Romans do as far as his/her sense of propriety permits, but if they're doing shout-outs at Mass, or parading around in their pajamas for a "Pajama Mass", or doing "The Wave", then I would rather just walk out than join in.

Since Catholics are not canonically bound to their geographical parishes, speaking for myself, I have found it necessary twice over the years "to vote with my feet" and find a more compatible liturgical setting for the spiritual benefit of my children and my peace of soul. In the one (OF) case, I had to make the judgment that the Hallmark card spirituality of the pastor was not ultimately going to help my children keep the traditional Catholic faith, and in the other (EF) case, the lack of kindness and goodwill was not a salutary influence. Everyone weighs his/her priorities differently, what can I say? Staying loyal to my geographic parish is an admirable thing, but for myself and my family, there are many other factors to consider as well.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede Vilyanor
  • Palestrina
    Low Mass is an unfortunate compromise. This debate wouldn't be happening if the sung liturgy was restored to its rightful place.
  • Oh.... Julie.... please don't misinterperet me.

If my Parish had a "Pajama Mass", or were doing "The Wave" DURING HOLY MASS, I couldn't do it, I would assume it was an invalid Mass, and I would write a letter to my Bishop requesting clarification. I'll admit I did break this unity when I attended a parish where everyone sat back in their pews while the tabernacle was open, and I stayed kneeling. But I don't think anybody (and I hope nobody) really noticed or cared. But though I'd prefer to receive on the tongue, for someone of my age to do that is in itself a statement, so I don't.

If my children were still of that age, and I felt it was a choice between geographic parish and my children potentially suffering hellfire, (Yes, I believe in hellfire, or at least very unpleasant purgatory experiences,) I would change my parish also.

I just think the "I don't like Saint Theresa's, they do everything wrong. I'm going to Holy Family, at least they have valid Mass" is a terrible attitude when we are all one body. St Theresa's (fictional) needs an arm and a leg, when Holy Family (also fictional) already has one complete body. And you may be St. Theresa's arm.

To say: "I don't like Saint Theresa's, they do everything wrong. I'm going to Holy Family, at least they have valid Mass" is what fueled protestantism.

Please don't think I am standing in the place of the accuser. And I hope I was not. Was I? I've only a few days before Palm Sunday to take care of it if so.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    SP, sorry if I misunderstood you. It seemed like what you were saying might have been directed in my general direction, but I was mistaken, I'm sure. I agree with you wholeheartedly that one should try to settle and invest in one parish and not flit around from parish to parish as the mood strikes.
  • Chrism
    I took a look at the numbers more closely. Numbers don't add up to 100 because people can vote for up to two options...

Sung Mass Dialogue in general:
    59% in favor (35% + 24%)
    37% against (16% + 13% + 8%)
    29% no opinion (15% + 14%)
    ---
    125% total

Low Mass Dialogue in general:
    35% in favor (35%)
    61% against (24% + 16% + 13% + 8%)
    29% no opinion (15% + 14%)
    ---
    125% total

• bhcordovabhcordova
    The time to argue about what should or should not be done in a Mass at a parish in communion with the Church are places like here, or Fr. Zs blog, or at Colloquium etc.

Nope. The Church is not a democracy. Decisions are made top down, not bottom up.
  • @bhcordova

You misinterperet. An argument is not a decision. If I lead people to believe arguments here, or on Fr. Zs blog, or at Colloquium etc were decisions, that was wrong.

• chonakchonak
    Why not discuss the merits of a question? The lay people are not here just to pay, pray, and obey, as the old line goes. Church law (canon 212 of the Code) gives us an express right to respectfully express views about the good of the Church, both to our pastors (bishops) and among the faithful.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If I lived in Oakland I would attend St. Paul.

The Episcopal church across the street from Christ the Light?
  • TCJ
    Since my going to Mass has a big impact on saving my own soul, you can bet that I will go to a Mass that is reverent and done properly versus my own parish with a priest who doesn't know what Catholicism is and all that. If we lived in a saner time I could believe in parish boundaries, but we don't.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I think the whole liturgical movement was a mistake. Once they started mucking with the Red, the Black was also fair game. Things might have looked rosy in the days of Pius X and TLS, but the movement quickly got out of control.

I've been thinking of what JQ said above, and I understand why he might feel that the Liturgical Movement was the impetus for what eventually became a liturgical shipwreck. However, I think you have to ask why the need for liturgical reform was manifested in the first place. What was it that impelled Dom Gueranger, Pius Parrsch, Dom Beaudoin, Romano Guardini, Pope PIus X et al. to begin searching for a better way.

The Liturgical Movement was perceived as necessary because, as I remember reading somewhere: By the eighteenth century, the liturgy had ceased to be a vital force in Catholicism.

Running throughout the writings of the founders of the Liturgical Movement was a concern that the faithful were absorbed in their own private devotions rather than being centered on the Catholic liturgy.

Bishop Marck Aillet, in his wonderful book, The Old Mass and the New, offers an enlightening quote from Cardinal Ratzinger from his book, The Meaning of Christian Brotherhood, which explains rather well the need for Catholic liturgy to have a communitarian aspect:

The recognition that ekklesia (Church) and adelphotes (brotherhood) are the same thing, that the Church that fulfills herself in the celebration of the Eucharist is essentially a community of brothers, compels us to celebrate the Eucharist as a rite of brotherhood in responsory dialogue---and not to have a lonely hierarchy facing a group of laymen each one of whom is shut off in his own missal or other devotional book. The Eucharist must again become visibly the sacrament of brotherhood in order to be able to achieve its full, community-creating power.

I can just imagine some excellent fellow traddies I know shuddering at the words community and brotherhood in relation with the traditional Latin Mass, but I think it can be argued that the silent Low Mass mentality, i.e., a silent congregation rapt in its own individual meditation, being a liturgical extreme and aberration from the mind of the Church, provoked the extreme of the Bugnini reforms.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As usual, I agree with Julie.
    Thanked by 2Salieri JulieColl
  • Kathy
    The Liturgical Movement was perceived as necessary because, as I remember reading somewhere: By the eighteenth century, the liturgy had ceased to be a vital force in Catholicism.
    "Pics or it didn't happen," as the kids say.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I agree with Adam.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood JulieColl
  • Kathy
    The claim is prima facie ridiculous. How can the liturgy fail to be a (the) vital force in Catholicism? And anyway, for whom?
  • fcbfcb
    How can the liturgy fail to be a (the) vital force in Catholicism? And anyway, for whom?

I think the claim is that with the Age of Enlightenment devotions rather than the liturgy itself became the focus of people's spiritual lives. Bouyer's Liturgical Piety is one place where this argument is made. Of course, that's not to say the Bouyer is correct.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    How can the liturgy fail to be a (the) vital force in Catholicism?

Actually I remember now where I read that claim: it was in Fr. Didier Bonneterre's book, The Liturgical Movement, wherein Fr. Bonneterre explains that before Pope Pius X restored Gregorian chant to the liturgy, the Catholic liturgy

In the eighteenth centur, the liturgy had ceased to be a vital force in Catholicism. The liturgy, so admirably restored by St. Pius X, had suffered the assaults of Jansenism and Quietism. The disciples of Jansenius had led the faithful away from the practice of the sacraments. The Quietists, who had claimed to reach God directly, had turned souls away from the liturgy . . This was the period when triumphant Gallicanism was composing its diocesan liturgies, which resembled one another only in their anti-Roman character.

So there it is in its proper context.

Bishop Marc Aillet, in his book The Old Mass and the New speaks of how Pope Pius X "suffered from the decadent liturgy" of his day and that was the impetus for him to implement the ideals of the Liturgical Movement.

It's fascinating how Bishop Aillet explains the process of liturgical development as a series of reactions. I don't think I've seen the history of the liturgy explained in such a succint way before:

It is usual to date the beginning of the Liturgical Movement from the Congress at Malines in 1909 on the initiative of Lambert Beaudoin. Yet its roots reach back to the restoration of monastic life under Prosper Gueranger (1805-1875) and the desire for reform expressed in the pontificate of Pius X (1903-1914). There is no doubt that the restoration of the Roman liturgy at Solesmes, in Latin and with Gregorian chant, was a happy change from the neo-romantic and sentimental reaction of the nineteenth century, which had of course seen itself---with some justification----as a remedy for the cold, cerebral liturgy of the Enlightenment period
  • BGP
    I have no problem with people responding with the parts which belong to them. What gets overlooked by the people insisting that everyone make all the responses all the time is that

1. not all of the servers responses belong to the people in the pews
    2. the average layman does not know how to pronounce latin

Besides Sunday and Feastday masses should be something other than Low Mass if at all possible.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    b) Secondly, the congregation may also say prayers, which, according to the rubrics, are said by the server, including the Confiteor, and the triple Domine non sum dignus before the faithful receive Holy Communion.

(De musica sacra, 31 under the section "At Low Mass")
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • BGP
    I Didn't mean legally.
  • Kathy
    Except for this one, I abjure and forswear all contemnible sweeping statements about the liturgy.
  • rogue63
    Here's a sweeping statement: ban the Low Mass. It's an abuse and a dishonor to God.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Easy now, Kathy, are you sure you want to abjure someone like Cardinal Ratzinger who has made several brilliant and highly memorable sweeping statements re: the liturgy like this?

About the OF:

"I am convinced that the ecclesial crisis in which we find ourselves today depends in great part on the collapse of the liturgy."

About the EF:

"We might say that … the liturgy was rather like a fresco [in the early 20th century]. It had been preserved from damage, but it had been almost completely overlaid with whitewash by later generations. In the Missal from which the priest celebrated, the form of the liturgy that had grown from its earliest beginnings was still present, but, as far as the faithful were concerned, it was largely concealed beneath instructions for and forms of private prayer. The fresco was laid bare by the Liturgical Movement and, in a definitive way, by the Second Vatican Council. For a moment its colors and figures fascinated us. But since then the fresco has been endangered by climatic conditions as well as by various restorations and reconstructions. In fact, it is threatened with destruction, if the necessary steps are not taken to stop these damaging influences. Of course, there must be no question of its being covered with whitewash again, but what is imperative is a new reverence in the way we treat it, a new understanding of its message and its reality, so that rediscovery does not become the first stage of irreparable loss."
  • Kathy
    I would again have to ask about where and when he is speaking. In the early 20th c., he himself asked Santa for a book of commentary on the liturgy. So the "whitewash" was in fact not complete.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Yes, let us go back to the Latin Mass, where the people in the pews said rosaries, nobody understood what was being said, and only the choir sang.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Yes, let us go back to the Latin Mass, where the people in the pews said rosaries, nobody understood what was being said, and only the choir sang.

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Did a misunderstanding happen somewhere?

Whatever happened to Purple Bold?

Tongue in cheekiness can be so colorful.
  • Paul_Dang
    My fault for taking it seriously, I'll edit or delete my post accordingly.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    No, don't worry! We kid each other a lot around here. All in good fun. :-)
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • francis
    The Mass never needed "reforming". It grew organically and became what it is. The whole notion of participation by opening ones mouth is kafooey. Just my opinion.
  • BenBen
    Participation is not only external, but that doesn't rule out an external aspect of our participation.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Happy Easter, Francis! I'm afraid your statement "It grew organically and became what it is" is like waving a red flag at a bull since I couldn't disagree more vehemently.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the majority of preconciliar Catholic liturgists, including the preconciliar popes and also post conciliar liturgists such as Cardinal Ratzinger, viewed the pervasive "silent Low Mass mentality" which became more common in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries more as atrophy and decline from the high point of the Middle Ages, than as organic growth.

What most concerned the leaders of the early Liturgical Movement (before it was "hijacked" as Cardinal Ratzinger said) was the growing tendency of the people to escape into individualism and private devotion instead of worshiping as a collective entity, a "community of brothers" (cf. Cardinal Ratzinger) engaged in hierarchical piety.. The early Liturgical Movement was not a reformist movement but was dedicated to teaching the clergy and laity to understand the received Liturgy and learn to participate in it fully.

What they attempted to do is to use the received Catholic Liturgy as the school in which the Church teaches us to pray because the Catholic faithful were being drawn into novelties and deviations from the liturgy.

Another danger Dom Beaudoin pointed out was that Catholics who are silent in the pews will be silent in the world, and religion was becoming a discreet and reserved affair, a piety in which the spirit, the interior, private disposition, plays a larger part than active, public participation in the rites.

He calls the silent worship of the faithful "an impoverished Christianity" and antithetical to the public, collective nature of the Roman Liturgy which contains professions of faith, collective prayers, obligatory gatherings of the faithful, processions etc., and points to the grand cathedrals, inspired by the Liturgy and built for it.

An excellent example of how the restoration of a collective piety in the traditional Roman rite, in other words, active participation in the received Liturgy, the Mass and the Divine Office, generally forms knowledgeable, active, brave, conscientious Catholics is in the example of French traditional Catholics, esp. at St. Nicholas du Chardonnet in Paris. I was just watching videos last night of their vibrant Sunday Missa Cantata where the entire congregation sings the parts of the Mass antiphonally with the choir, where they have processions and Sunday Vespers (in which the congregation sings antiphonally with the priest) and also videos of them demonstrating for traditional marriage on the streets of Paris. They are manifesting lex orandi statuat legem credendi (et vivendi). They live and believe as they worship.

They act in a corporate manner as the Mystical Body of Christ, publicly manifesting their faith inside the church and out, whether it be singing hymns or singing the Mass, as a united body inside the church and on the streets processing and singing hymns in honor of the Blessed Sacrament, Our Lady or out in the public square shouting their disapproval of gay marriage at the top of their lungs. We have here a clear and consistent mode of action which is the external and public profession and manifestation in all areas of their life, ad intra et ad extra, which clearly has led to the strongest and most vibrant traditional Catholic communities in the world.

If there is a stronger and more vibrant expression of traditional Catholic worship and action anywhere in the world greater than this, I would love to know where it is.

Finally, if you can find me on YouTube one example of where the passive, "mute and silent spectator" style of worship so lamented by Popes Pius X, XI and XII has led to the development of traditional communities who are as strong, vibrant, united, active, and charitable as the traditional Catholics in France, please share it, and I'd be happy to consider your argument. At the very least, whether you can or cannot produce such an example, surely you would be willing to admit that what the traditional Catholics are doing in France both inside and outside the churches, is working quite well and should be applauded and emulated.
  • GavinGavin
    Participation is not only external, but that doesn't rule out an external aspect of our participation.

This needs to be on a sign at every church. As a very wise priest once said to me,

"Participatio actuoso doesn't mean, 'everyone doing everything all the time,' but neither does it mean, 'nobody does anything ever.'"
  • mahrt
    "We do 1, 2 & 3 on Fr. Z's list in Low Masses."

Numbers 1, 2, & 3 of Musical Sacram pertain to the employment of singing. If you are singing numbers 1, 2, and 3, why is it a low Mass. Doesn't the singing of all those parts make it a high Mass?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Highest, high, medium, medium rare, low, lowest.

Is it not the Body and Blood?

Is it not a miracle? EVERY Sunday? At EVERY Mass in communion with the Church?

If "no" to any of the above are YOU in communion with the Church?

Is this not the week of Pesach? Did we not hear, (OK, it is an "or" reading) about the leaven in our lives on Easter Sunday yesterday?

And do we not eat the Bread and drink the Wine EVERY Sunday, not annually?

It was many Christians' experience Mass was "where the people in the pews said rosaries, nobody understood what was being said, and only the choir sang." This is what the Church, in many cases, became.

The Church is built on a rock. Sometimes it may be askew and things may need to be torn down and rebuilt. But it is in the process of being built. It is NOT and WAS not a finished product! And we all look forward to the time when it is and will be. Or at least we should.

It is a blessing we can all be part of one body, and treat it as a blessing there are places for all those members to renew communion.

But if the arm fights with the leg, or the eye with the ear, or the foot with the hand nothing is left but a crippled invalid.

It is not the type of valid Mass observed, nor the language of the Mass that is important. Only that each member of the body does justice and loves goodness, and walks humbly with our God.

If practices are not heresy and are in communion with the Church, how can you judge the other members of the body? Are you judge? There is one Judge. Or at least that's how I interperet some passages of the Holy Writ, though I do not believe Sola Scriptura.

Again, it is Pesach. "I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery I ransomed you."

Micah 6 might be a good reading for the week.