Love Unkown John Ireland
  • Is this tune in public Domain?
  • The current edition of the Saint Michael Hymnal gives copyright acknowledgement to the John Ireland Trust.
  • that's what I thought but I have found it (the tune) listed as public domain. Either way I think I only have room for the text , which is public domain.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    John Ireland died in 1962. All of his music is under copyright in the USA.
  • Liam
    The copyright dates from 1924, it appears, just after the cut-off year for PD.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I wrote to the Trust several years ago to secure permission to reprint it in a service booklet and they never responded. Others have reported the same experience to me. Write your letter and put "reprint permission applied for" in the copyright acknowledgement, and you should be covered. I'm not aware of anyone actually being charged royalty fees for its use, but as always, there is a first time for everything.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The copyright dates from 1924, it appears, just after the cut-off year for PD.

It would have to have been renewed for it to still be under copyright.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Liam
    Yes, that's right. It looks like the trust has done that in the past.
  • But if there was a copyright renewal, was it done in such a way that it included the U.S.?
  • Liam
    I see the National Cathedral in Washington reproduces it in programs with the following attribution:

My song is love unknown. Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), alt. Music: Love Unknown, John Ireland (1879-1962). Copyright © 1924, John Ireland. Reprinted under OneLicense.net #A-709283.
  • ghmus7
    If you e-mail one license for a one time use, they probably will allow it.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    This is news, but I'm not surprised that OneLicense snagged administration of the copyright. All in all not a bad thing, and IIRC their rates are very reasonable.
  • quilisma
    I contacted them to see if they could help me with copyright here in France, for use with our (small) English speaking community. Sadly not, they said, as they were limited to North America. The suggestion was to contact the relevant copyright holder directly. Sounds like too much trouble to me - shame (not!), I'll just have to stick with my range of public domain hymns to traditional melodies.
  • ronkrisman
    According to hymnary.com John Ireland's LOVE UNKNOWN appears to be the only tune of his that has ever appeared in hymnals published in the USA. Are other tunes of his sung in England, or other countries?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Apparently yes, Father. I just happened to see this on the Kings' College Choir website: In their new English Hymn Anthems released this year is listed "Ireland’s Vexilla Regis."

http://shop.kings.cam.ac.uk/english-hymn-anthems-p/cdskch0282.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tc2h5RpX0o
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    John Ireland's EASTERGATE (58. 53) at CPDL (but watch the copyright warning).