second collection options
  • musicman923
    Hello Everyone,

This weekend is our diocese we had a second collection. Whenever there is a second collection, the whole process takes forever!!! I always pick a hymn that is long enough to cover the majority of the collection time/prayers over the gifts. This weekend though was insane at how long it too!! Do other churches besides mine seem to take forever for second collections?? I kid you not, the 4pm vigil collection time and the bringing up of gifts took at least 8 minutes yesterday!!

What do other churches do to speed up second collections??

After our vigil mass yesterday, I sugggested to the pastor the following model: we usually have six parishioners do collections at our church. I suggested that only on second collection weekends to have twelve people go up at the same time, have the first six people be the first collection and then immedately followed by the next six people to do the second collection. In the back of the church, there will be two baskets one for the first collection and a different one for the second collection. These two baskets will be brought up at the same time as the gifts.

This model could get more children involved in the mass as well. It would be nice to see children (ages 10 and up possibly) doing the collections and being a part of mass.

What are people's thoughts of this model and any one offer suggestions as well??

Happy Sunday!
  • Liam
    It should be done in utter silence.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    "Today there is a second collection for ______. Please put both envelopes in the same basket."

If Second Collections don't have an envelope, envelopes can be put in the pews. Have volunteers sort them.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Ben canadash
  • took at least 8 minutes

WOW, that is a long time. Is your church really big? I'm just trying to figure out what takes so long. At my church there are four people who take up the collection and it doesn't take too long. When they do a second collection, they just do it right after Communion and it really only takes a minute. Does your church use the baskets that are passed down the pew by each person, or do they just have the ushers hold the long baskets on sticks? It's been my experience that the baskets passed down the pew by each person take much longer. Some people are basket hogs and take forever to pass it along.
  • BenBen
    Having a separate set of envelopes by far makes the most sense. One collection. Sort later.
  • We cancelled all second collections a few years ago. It's been nice. Ours were always after the Post-Communion prayer, so they really added to the length. Another benefit could be that there would be more money in the main collection if they don't have a basket placed in front of them twice...
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I wonder why we all don't have one collection? It is so reasonable.
  • ghmus7
    I think there are some hymns thst are liturgically apprpriate during a long collection:
    1. We're in the money....
    2. Three coins in the fountaian
    3.Money (pink floyd) this would appeal to baby boomers.
    4. Brother can.you spare a dime.
    ?
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There is no need to have two collections during one Mass. Either have them put both offerings in the same basket or have people collecting at the door as people leave after Mass for the second collection.
  • At Walsingham we have a 'black bag' collection about once a month. It is done quietly and (as are all things at our liturgy, done without announcement) takes place when the ushers quietly pass black velvet bags through the congregation towards the end of mass. Everyone knows what the collection is for. The purpose of this 'second collection' is to help any needy or with special needs in the parish. It's quite a nice thing to do, really, and the response is usually generous. Other than this, we have no 'second collections'.
  • CharlesW
    I don't understand why it takes so long. Our second collection takes place while the priest is purifying the vessels. It doesn't take any longer than the first collection.
  • Brother can.you spare a dime.

Now I'm going to be so tempted to play that next time my parish has a second collection...
  • bonniebede
    We always have two collections - first for the priests of the diocese, second for the running costs of the diocese, though sometimes that is for a specific thing - the diocesan group that looks after youth, or the poor or marriage and so on.
    Then there is often a third collection at the gate, that will be St Vincent DePaul society (for the poor) or some other charity.
    Both are done between prayers of the faithful and offertory, while notices are being read out.
    Oh, and of course easter and Christmas dues, that comes with envelopes so you can put them into any of the collection baskets. And planned giving envelopes too.
    other than that we don't do much fundraising, apart from the golf day, race day at the local racetrack, cake sales, and a few other things.
    But we have cut down on the need for collecting money by having no paid music ministry.
  • Was second collection with music BUT NO LITURGICAL DANCE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAlwoAflWrM
    Thanked by 2bonniebede eft94530
  • A priest I know was once visiting a village in Africa, and upon arriving at the village church on Sunday was informed that the pastor had heard a priest was visiting from the USA, and had sent a message for him to cover the mass in that church for the day. He has the habit of writing a personal reflection on the Sunday gospel even when not writing a homily, so he sent a youth to go to the home he stayed in to find his notebook. In any case, to the point, he said there were three collections during the mass, and one of them consisted not of money, but of food, and much of that was in the form of live animals, everything from chickens in cages to a goat on a tether, all of which were brought up in procession, with much festivity in the form of singing and dancing. He said that in all mass lasted near to three hours. At all of the various processions there was singing and dancing that the entire congregation joined in. His homily, even though it had to be translated by someone as he gave it, was still a bit short by local standards. But then in that area the average journey to the parish was a two hour walk each way in the heat of the African sun, so the longer service was nearly a necessity, as was the communal feasting that followed in the village (which would have been no more lavish than an average Sunday meal in this country).

The moral of the story is, just be glad you only have a second collection, not a third, and that no one feels the need to offer up a goat or chicken, and that the entire congregation doesn't expect to dance around the church several times while the collections are taken.

p.s.
    As an alternative form of music for the collection, you can start raising crickets, and place them next to a microphone during the extra collection. If anyone asks you can make some new-agey sounding comment about even the creatures of nature praising the Lord.
  • ghmus7
    A friend I know went to a country Baptist church. When the service was over, the preacher stood up and said "Brothers and sisters, our church needs a new roof. I have locked the door, and nobody is leaving until we collect the money for the roof!"
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The following happened at a friend's non-denom church.

Announcement:
    We think we should buy a new building, but we don't think we should go into debt to do it. The cost of the building we have been looking at is $XXX,XXX. We will only buy it if we can raise the entire amount, in cash, next week.
    Go home, pray, and if you feel so called --- write a check. Put the check (or cash) inside of a self-addressed stamped envelope. Put that envelope inside another envelope. On the outside of that envelope write the amount of your check, and nothing else (not your name). Then fold it over so no one else can see it.
    We will collect all those envelopes. If it is enough, we will open them all, deposit the money, and buy the building. If it is not enough, we will open them and return your check/cash to you.

They collected the money needed for a new building. In one collection.
    There was no second collection.
  • CharlesW
    I believe it! A large - make that huge - Baptist church in the area raised 7 million in cash to pay for a new building. It didn't take that long to raise the money, either.