Newspaper article about church organs
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    In case of interest, and in case people in this forum haven't already seen it ... I encountered it only today, the American Guild of Organists' Facebook page having brought it to my attention:

http://www.catholicnewsherald.com/42-news/rokstories/7318-fewer-take-up-pipe-organ-but-its-place-as-voice-of-church-secure
  • But Skevington said the problem is not a shortage of organists but a dearth of full-time, well-paying church organist positions.

"At universities and at the national level, there's a big commitment to organ music, but when it comes down to the parish level, then you have to make decisions, and I think oftentimes music does not receive the priority that it should," he told the Arlington Catholic Herald, the diocesan newspaper.

Yep.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    "At universities and at the national level, there's a big commitment to organ music" ...

I wish that were true in Australia, where in 99% of cases since the 1970s, if you study the organ at all, you must do so through private instruction (as I did). This situation is starting to improve - the habitually punching-above-its-weight University of Wollongong in New South Wales has, I understand, an organ course, thereby putting to shame older and more glamorous campuses - but not improving rapidly enough.
  • "At universities and at the national level, there's a big commitment to organ music,"

Is not true in the US in any way. Very poor reporting.
  • doneill
    I agree with Noel - that's not true at all. Universities have cut organ programs entirely, or reduced full-time tenure-track positions with adjuncts. Most universities, out of necessity, are market-based (ideally, they shouldn't be, but that's another subject). The reason they are being eliminated is because they just can't get enough students. They are really responding to the decline in church organists; the idea that they remain committed in spite of the decline in churches in spurious. Then it becomes a vicious circle.

The majority of organists in this country have been serving mainline Protestant churches. With those in decline overall, and many of them shifting to a type of music that doesn't require the organ, the landscape has changed drastically. I prefer to be optimistic. If you look at The American Organist and The Diapason, there are quite a few new organs going into Catholic churches. Let's face it - music in American Catholic churches has already hit rock bottom, and we're in an upswing. The future of the organ in America may largely be in Catholicism.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Here in Houston both Rice University and the University of Houston have flourishing organ classes of very talented students. Rice, with its Fisk-Rosales, has Ken Cowan, who is one of the very best (though his embrace of orchestral style and arrangements is lamentable), and the UofH, with its von Beckerath, has Robert Bates, who is a scholar, teacher, and performer of the highest order. Houston has many outstanding new organs and organists. The situation throughout the US may not be fully as healthy as suggested in the article; but, also, is less unhealthy than suggested by Noel and others.
  • doneill
    Jackson,

I know that is true - Houston has really surged of late in its organ culture, and there are some very fine students at the U. of Houston. Robert Bates is one of the finest teachers around, and one of the most innovative in performance. There are a handful of university programs that are thriving, and organ students will always have somewhere to go. The problem is mainly in smaller regional colleges, and that has an effect on local organ cultures. Many part-time church musicians come from these places. Small-college organ professors teach a lot of non-majors, typically students with good piano skills who can learn enough organ technique to be employed by a local church. And there are less likely to be organ teachers around in smaller communities, who can get the interested kids at least started.

It's not dire. The profession is not going to die. I think it's going to improve, and the Catholic Church will both encourage it and benefit from it.
  • CharlesW
    I think that the recent trend away from imitations of North German Baroque organs has helped make the instrument a bit more popular, and more listenable. When the last Schnitger clone is consumed by fire, then there will be hope for a restoration of the instrument. I hope I get to watch as the damnable things burn. ROFL. Orchestral styles are fine, even if they offend Jackson's sense of the divine order of things. I am a fan of French instruments, both classic and romantic, and enjoy the literature and instruments of both periods. I have noticed that a more diverse literature has increased attendance at local organ concerts.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I don't get the condemnation of orchestral/symphonic organs--surely there is place for Franck, Tournemire and Dupre in worship as well as Sweelinck, Bach and Buxtehude.

As far as transcription-playing is concerned: well, there are transcriptions and then there are TRANSCRIPTIONS, and transcription-playing is a real art that not all organists or composers master. Certainly the transcriptions of Edwin Lemare are truly artistic, virtuoso pieces.
    Thanked by 2R J Stove frgeohafe
  • doneill
    It's not the particular style of organ-building that is important, but rather beauty that matters.
  • When I hear the ride of the valkyries and such being taught and played at one of our nation's most highly prestigious universities, where genuine scholarship ought to be expected and esteemed I can only shake my head in disbelief. This is not 'romanticism' returned to favour. It is tasteless and cultivated foolishness. It is astounding that anyone, no matter how talented, would waste time learning what have to be challenging arrangements of music which not only was written for an orchestra in an opera house, but are wholly unfit for the organ. We have no dearth of genuine organ literature from all periods of history. We do not need this kind of intellectual vacuity, nor should it be rewarded with DMAs, PhDs, and full professorships. Yes, yes, I know; I can hear it coming: Bach made arrangements. So did others. And, I'm sure that there was quite a bit of music around in their day of which they did not nor would not have made arrangements.

Too, I am disappointed that anyone of us, presumably serious musicians all, would refer to baroque revival Schnitgers, et al., as damnable clones. So such persons prefer Franck to Buxtehude. That's fine. That is their prerogative. It isn't fine to hold what is of great artistic and scholarly merit up to ridicule and contempt. There is nothing of honour or worthy of respect in this.

It is not news that we are experiencing a neo-romantic period in literature and organ building. This is a good thing which was bound to happen at some point. We have fads in the organ world, too. My favourite eras are most anything before Mozart and most anything after Tournemire, with organs that can faithfully play all of those. This does not leave me refering to damnable romantic instruments which are better consigned to infernal consumption. I am fond of much romantic literature, though I don't generally enjoy learning it or playing it. I do appreciate others doing so on appropriate instruments.

We are fortunate, very fortunate, to have baroque (and even pre-baroque!) instruments on which to bring to life the music of those eras. Ditto romantic and later organ building fashions. No fashion will remain in vogue forever: today's neo-romantic flair will sooner or later have seen its day, too. I treasure some of the Cavaille-Coll 'clones' that are gracing our churches now. They have a worthy place amongst the Clicquot 'clones' which we are equally fortunate to enjoy. We should not want to be like some person who is a great Kipling scholar but who thinks that 'damnable' Shakespeare should be consigned to the flames. Such attitudes are not those of a true scholar.

Organs are organs. They are not orchestras. And the worst thing that ever happened to them was trying to make orchestras out of them.
    Thanked by 2doneill CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: Whether there is or isn't a "big commitment" to organ music.

Tiny programs and scant resources are provided in evidence that this is not the case.

But many SoMs retain an organ professor for the benefit of only a small handful students. The programs are tiny --- but does that mean they don't represent a big commitment?

While some places have been forced to eliminate organ programs, it seems to me that those institutions that are keeping them going, in spite of the fact that the programs are tiny, is a BIG commitment.
  • CharlesW
    It isn't the European instruments - well, maybe Schnitgers - that are damnable, its some of the clones by American builders that are damnable. Especially, the ones built in the 1960s. The newer American instruments are much better than they were then.

I have heard that Wagner transcription. It never pretended to be concert literature but was a fun piece done in good humor. We had a blast with it locally at an AGO meeting a few years ago.

We must be blessed in my area. There are organ departments that are alive and well at 4 colleges within 50 miles. The instruments are pretty good, too.
  • doneill
    Well said, Adam. CharlesW, I don't know how anybody could listen to the Hamburg Jakobikirche Schnitger and call it "damnable."
  • doneill
    Also, CharlesW, the neo-baroque organs in America from that era are hardly clones. They made some mistakes, partially because it was difficult to gain access to historic instruments in the communist bloc. They were a worthy, if misguided, attempt, and present day historically oriented builders do it much better.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Palestrina
    So CharlesW, how many Schnitgers have you played? Heard live?

Would that be zero?

I wonder how this qualifies you to make any judgement about Schnitger's work...
  • CharlesW
    They were a worthy, if misguided, attempt, and present day historically oriented builders do it much better.

No question they are now better. I remember, also, that E. Power Biggs made a series of recordings in which the microphones were too close to the pipes. Suddenly, we had a generations of American builders creating rattling flutes, thinking they were building in authentic chiff.

CharlesW, I don't know how anybody could listen to the Hamburg Jakobikirche Schnitger and call it "damnable."

Listen to the Hildebrandt at Naumburg. It is better than anything Schnitger ever built.

how many Schnitgers have you played? Heard live?

Only recordings by supposedly good organists. They didn't sound so great and had a bit of, it seemed to me, an acidic tone. Maybe you have to be German of that era to appreciate them, or perhaps an American from the "Organ Reform" school. For what it is worth, I don't like the Dutch organs of that time period, either.

[edited by admin]
  • The situation throughout the US may not be fully as healthy as suggested in the article; but, also, is less unhealthy than suggested by Noel and others.
    The list of schools teaching organ today at the AGO website disproves that statement.

https://www.agohq.org/education/academic-organ-programs/#.VQzSnlwZp6E

Note that a very small number of these actually have a faculty position for an organist - others are just adjust or instructor. Hardly a commitment to producing organists.

• Palestrina
    So, CharlesW, your experience of anything German or Dutch has been gained entirely from the comfort of your own armchair. I suppose that says it all, really...
  • Palestrina
    P.S. I'm not German on an American proponent of the organ reform movement. Not that ethnic background should have any bearing on this discussion anyway...
  • CharlesW
    I get the best recordings I can find. But I have never made any secret of not caring for those instruments or much of the music of that time period. Major exception, the French music is very appealing.
  • Palestrina
    Well, given your tastes and interests, I am sure you would be the first to admit that you are in no position to make any kind of judgement about Baroque instruments...
  • CharlesW
    P.S. I'm not German on an American proponent of the organ reform movement. Not that ethnic background should have any bearing on this discussion anyway...

Ethnic background is not so important, but certain types of instruments were produced in certain regions at a certain time. They do have a distinctive sound that one either likes or doesn't. I am sure some don't care for the French and English organs I favor. That's fine.

We have a couple of those instruments in town that doneill would consider to be one of those mistakes he referenced - and they were built by reputable builders.
  • These organs that arrived in the US suffered from being installed in buildings that could not meld the sound of the organ, creating wonderful articulation through the speech and breathy sound which blended into a warm, wonderful soup in the hard-surfaced churches in their home country. There are churches that do not heat or cool at all and you sit in hard wooden benches.

Go with a friend into a racquet ball court that has been fully carpeted, including the walls. Now play a couple of games, if you can. Takes a LOT more energy that the average player has available.

These "shrill" organs are not at fault. The buyers were, having failed to prepare the building to reflect sound with close equal volume as is heard in direct speech from the mouth of the pipes destroyed natural acoustical warmth.

The builders, with NO experience building organs for such unreceptive rooms, eventually learned how to bring the organs into harmony with the buildings. That improved many.

[edited by admin]
  • doneill
    Charles, I did not label those organs as mistakes. I said that they made some mistakes in trying to copy historic instruments. And yes, that Hildebrandt is amazing. Central German organ building in general is somewhat different than north German organ building. Silbermanns and Schnitgers don't sound the same. Bach works better at Naumburg. Buxtehude works better at Hamburg. But your derisive comment was about Schnitger. I challenged you on it, and you changed the subject.
  • Palestrina
    Evangelical churches around Groningen don't really have warm acoustics, having been prepared for the spoken word, first and foremost.

It is entirely the art of the organ builder to make an instrument sing in an unforgiving place. Schnitger's instruments are stunning in dry acoustics, every time.

[edited by admin]
  • Palestrina
    Doneill, yes and no - depends on which bits. I heard BWV 532 at Hamburg and it's perfect there - admittedly, a piece that shows the influence of Buxtehude, but the debate about what the perfect Bach organ' is seem to be far from over.
  • chonakchonak
    In case you haven't seen this little note:
    Here's a routine reminder: Be academic not acerbic.

Please observe the forum guidelines.
  • CharlesW
    But your derisive comment was about Schnitger. I challenged you on it, and you changed the subject.

No change of subject. I hate those instruments and quite a bit of the music written for them. Catholicism is a multi-national religion covering a long time span with instruments to match. Given that North Germany was mostly Lutheran, I have never found the music produced there to really fit well within the framework of Catholic liturgy. I also had so much of it forced on me in college - under an organ reformer - I decided I wouldn't play it once I got out of there.

Back to the subject of lack of organs or organists. I have noticed that many organists, when buying a pipe organ, want a concert instrument. Those are expensive. If your particular church can afford one, that's great. I suspect most can not. Many churches that say they can't afford a pipe instrument could afford a service instrument. It doesn't take 50 ranks to support mass. Leave the concert instruments to the big parishes and universities. Perhaps there is a "concert" mindset involved that works against smaller but adequate instruments.
  • Evangelical churches around Groningen don't really have warm acoustics, having been prepared for the spoken word, first and foremost.

Could you please cite some foundation for this - I'm very interested in learning more about non-typical acoustical design of buildings at the time of Bach and others.
  • The Small Organ Project - Palestrina, we'd all be interested in a report on actual progress - how many organs have been designed and what difficulties you have run into in interesting pastors and organists.

• Palestrina
    CharlesW, the "Lutheran" argument is disingenuous, since the core of almost every Schnitger organ is a pre-Reformation instrument. Look at Lüdingworth for a case in point. Ditto the repertoires, which have their origins in pre-Reformation Catholic repertoires. The Reformation in Germany was not as great a cultural rupture as it was elsewhere...

Noel, I'm afraid the best I can do is recommend you visit the buildings and play the instruments yourself!

[Please do not call someone's argument insincere ("disingenuous"). --admin]
  • Palestrina
    The Project is ongoing and its specifics will remain under wraps for now, owing to negotiations.
  • Noel, I'm afraid the best I can do is recommend you visit the buildings and play the instruments yourself!

And what makes you assume that I have not. I'm not going to take time and make a list of all the organs in Germany, Italy and England that I played as a professional musician working out of Germany for 3 years and Italy for almost a year.

Please, let's all avoid stating facts without evidence. I have been unable to find any verification that it was common for any church in Europe to be built for the human voice speaking rather than singing.

There are few non-manmade materials used in medieval and later church building that will absorb sound, but there are designs that assist in directing sound - from the pulpit, for example - that work to clarify the sound of the spoken voice in a large room. But these do not change the buildings response to the organ. Possibly these sound directing devices has caused confusion, as to designing a building to emphasize the spoken voice.

There is really no reason to not promote your organ product without divulging information that is involved in setting up a company or relationship with a builder. But that's your choice, of course.
  • doneill
    There could be an interesting academic discussion about what constitutes a Catholic organ. That's an interesting topic, and not obvious, especially after Vatican II's emphasis on congregational singing. Unfortunately, this discussion got off the rails. Sorry if I contributed to that. And yes, Palestrina, I was grossly over-generalizing regarding Bach and Buxtehude - sorry for that as well. Offering opinions regarding personal preferences and what may be better for a given situation are fine, but can we stay away from insulting language? Saying that instruments are "damnable" and should be burned is extreme, because that goes beyond personal preference.
  • doneill
    Palestrina, I also do not quite understand the comment about dry acoustics around Groningen. That may be true with some churches, but certainly not consistent, is it? I have been there, but it was a long time ago. The Martinikerk has a vibrant acoustic, and as I recall, so does the Aa-kerk. I know that north German and Dutch churches tend to use more wood than in other regions, and that affects the acoustics. But many of these churches were Catholic before the Reformation.

Regarding the use of Lutheran rep in Catholic liturgies - some, not all. The Buxtehude Praeludia tend to work better as postludes than preludes, because most Catholics don't want something so assertive before Mass. Some of the chorale settings work nicely, although there is little connection with those chorales and Catholics. The Italian-inspired canzonas are usually successful. I have also played the Weckmann O lux beata Trinitas as a Trinity Sunday prelude, and think it works well. It's the same with Bach - some works, some not so much. That's also true of some historically Catholic repertoire. For instance, much of the French classic repertoire was conceived for an alternatim practice that is now forbidden, so if you play it for Mass, you have to sandwich it into different situations. I do see more French, Italian, and Spanish "Catholic" repertoire appearing in academic organ programs, but not at the expense of the north Germans and Bach, which still represent the height of organ repertoire in history. Widor would agree.

Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • Saying that instruments are "damnable" and should be burned is extreme, because that goes beyond personal preference.
    I vote nay against restricting peoples actions because of personal preference, though it might be better if I had any idea what right personal preferences, unknown to us, have in curtailing the obvious and well-known stark, raving madness of a former school teacher/librarian.
  • doneill
    Remember, too, that Buxtehude, living in a port city, was exposed to many influences, particularly the Italians. Although they become a thing of their own, the free pieces show some influence from Italian toccatas. The Lutheran/Catholic distinction is not always so clear, in the music, organs, and churches.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • Appreciable aspects of the German stylus fantasticus were the direct and studied descendants of Frescobaldi's toccatas and ricercars as found in the Fiori Musicali and other such works. I have frequently used carefully selected examples of this genre for both pre- and post- voluntaries. In fact, at a parish at which I have been engaged for this very Easter Day I am playing Bach's great A-Minor prelude as an opening voluntary. It has a dramatic approach to climax and triumph which are perfect for setting the tone for this celebration and introducing the entrance hymn, which is 'Victory'. To say that this, or any other, body of beautifully crafted music is ipso facto not suitable for Catholic liturgy is, I believe, an exercise in myopia and an impoverishment of the musical affect which accompanies our worship.

It is true, as doneill says, that, generally, Catholics somewhat expect rather unassertive literature. He also points out that Vatican II has opened the way to a greater intellectual and emotional involvement of the people in the mass. More, it didn't just open the way but expects and presumes it. It follows that our choices of music reflect this, rather than provide a blanket of soothing pap. When I choose organ music I do not ask 'is it "Catholic"': I ask 'does it contribute in some way, texturally, mood-wise, emotionally, to the theme of the day', which means that it may be loud, triumphal, prayerful, quiet, calm, busy, tuneful, simple, complex, and so on, as reflects the day's lectionary. Preludes, further, should in some way compliment and lead into the entrance hymn, which should follow them immediately, without any words spoken by anyone. (Catholics are the only people who have to be told before mass what church they are in and what day it is and who is celebrating and to turn of their gadgets. [But that is another peeve for another conversation].)

• Palestrina
    Noel and Doneill, was referring to the parish buildings in the region. Noel,
    if you had played the smaller Schnitgers around Groningen, you would know what I mean. In any event, my point was that if the organ builder knows what they're doing, the lack of a resonant acoustic is not a problem. I've seen stunning instruments in 'preaching houses' all over the place.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Ball State University has a thriving organ program and a full-time, tenured professor. It used to be the wonderful Kirby Koriath, but now is the dynamic Raul Prieto Ramirez.
    Thanked by 1Aaron
  • [the voice of the devil on shoulder is saying, Be Polite, be polite, be polite. Which is confusing, considering the source!]</b
  • BGSU is famous for the organ students it has turned out.

See the bottom four instruments listed here:

http://www.leekpipeorgans.com/consultation/for-sale.html

The small organ market is totally flooded now and larger instruments are also sitting waiting for the wrecking ball.
  • ghmus7
    In the last issue of tge AGO Magazine, the majority of new organs were in Catholic churches. I can't ever remember this happening. My impression is that the organ in increasing in the RC.
  • MatthewRoth
    My friend Christine Canavan from Franciscan University of Steubenville was featured in the original Arlington Catholic Herald article. She is a sacred music major concentrating in organ.

It's much easier to attract vocalists to the program, and it is ostensibly cheaper. OTOH, in an economy where we are educated based on the return, it's ironic, because my friends who are only vocalists seem to have the odds stacked against them.
    Thanked by 1doneill
  • CharlesW
    The small organ market is totally flooded now and larger instruments are also sitting waiting for the wrecking ball.

So very true. My parish was offered a large 19th-century organ by an American builder with a substantial contribution for installation. Nowhere would it fit in the building, making it an impossibility for us. There are plenty of older instruments looking for homes. I would rather have six good ranks of pipes than 40 digital stops where half of them sound alike. Sure, the small instrument may be limited, but play the literature that works on it.

Organ-less: I will be without an instrument for two months this summer while the console is being rebuilt. It will involve console rebuilding, some revoicing, and addition of a 32' stop. It will be a long summer on that Roland digital piano. LOL.

CharlesW, the "Lutheran" argument is disingenuous, since the core of almost every Schnitger organ is a pre-Reformation instrument.

Perhaps the problem is that they are German.

Schnitger in person? Never played one. I have heard and seen, up close and personal, French and Dutch organs. The French instruments were spectacular, of course. I concluded that if one wants to hear Dutch organ building, go visit a Flentrop in the United States. It isn't necessary to travel overseas, since Flentrop seems to be representative of those instruments.

Visit Schnitgers? Not in my current plans. Germany is probably a lovely place, but nothing compels me to go there at the moment. There are other countries higher on the list of places to go.

Catholic literature? Yes, it exists and CMAA is trying its best to restore some of it. As for Lutheran literature, it exists, as well. I generally don't approach it as specifically Lutheran, but whether or not it lends itself to Catholic liturgy. With some of it, I wonder where you could actually use it within the framework of Sunday mass.

Bach? I still don't like him and never will. I have a good friend who loves Bach. I end up playing one Bach piece for him at a recital each year. I can play Bach, I just don't like him. He could write good tunes, although I think his talented son C.P.E. could write better ones. One of the Bach fugues I played last left me with the impression that I was playing a math formula translated to staves, rather than playing music.
  • doneill
    (1) Flentrop, while a very solid builder, is not at all representative of the entire history of north German/Dutch organ building.

(2) Of course C.P.E.'s music is tuneful. There was a huge shift in popular style at that time. J.S. Bach's "math formula" is in the tradition of theological intellectualism, which includes the great Catholic polyphony. Do you reject that as well?
  • CharlesW
    I think there is a "cut-off" point with polyphony. It can get so overlaid and complex the text is obscured. If I recall, the Council of Trent demanded that polyphony be simplified for that very reason.

theological intellectualism

You realize - maybe, maybe not - you are talking to a Byzantine. We pretty much reject much of Catholic intellectualism, especially the Scholastic kind. That is true of most easterners, Catholic and Orthodox.

Flentrop: No builder is representative of several hundred years of work. Flentrop seems to hit a happy medium, and does it well. We could ask, WWSD - what would Sweelinck do? I could see him liking Flentrop.
  • doneill
    Ah, thanks. That explains some things. It is natural to assume that anybody on this forum would be favoring the Roman Catholic tradition, but perhaps that is not a safe assumption. It is rare for an organist to be Eastern, for obvious reasons, but I know a few.

I think Bach is more in the line of post-Trent polyphony, though.
  • CharlesW
    Some of us Byzantines love the organ. My third-grade class visited a large Methodist church in town which had just installed a new organ. The organist took us into the chambers and gave us the first-class tour. That has been a long time ago, but the impression still lingers. I went on to study the instrument and obtain degrees in music.

Roman Catholic tradition: I think it would be a great thing if actually followed. I am fortunate to work in a parish where it is, for the most part. We are pretty traditional in terms of chant masses and organ literature. Love those Anglican anthems, too.

Fr. Gabriel Bunge, a Latin who converted to Orthodoxy said in an interview

—Just as an aside, last spring there was a delegation from Russia present at a celebration in Sicily commemorating the aid given by Russian soldiers to victims of the great Messina earthquake in 1908. The Russian clergy present were invited to serve the Liturgy for the local Orthodox congregation in the Capella Palatina in Palermo.

—Ah, beautiful. The Russians continually celebrate solemn Liturgies in the St. Nicholas Cathedral in Bari. I have seen one Liturgy there celebrated by a Russian Metropolitan, about 20 priests, with a large choir. And I thought, “That is the Liturgy required by this beautiful cathedral. But when it was over, the Latin mass started… and you want to cry. You want to ask, “What are you doing here?”

In a way, this is something out of the ordinary, but it shows that many Catholics are not sure any more that they are right.

The entire article is here if you have the time or desire to read it.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/65138.htm

I would say as an easterner working in the Latin church, RCs don't know what they have and don't know how to appreciate it.

I should add that I don't agree with Fr. Bunge on everything he said. I have stayed in an Eastern Catholic rather than Orthodox Church because of the union with Peter and the cause of unity, in general. But I do think Fr. Bunge is correct that current liturgy in too many places can make one wonder if the builders of those glorious spaces would be in tears if they could see what is often viewed as "liturgy."
  • chonakchonak
    Charles, when you write sentences like:
    "Perhaps the problem is that they are German"
    it is hard to make sense of what you are saying.

What are the characteristics of German-made organs that you don't favor? Some insight about the distinctions in organ styles would be informative for those of us who aren't organists.

I'm trying to understand your comments in a way that says something more sophisticated than "German anything = bad", because I trust that you are not a person who harbors ethnic prejudices.