Uh, oh....I see Anthony Esolen in the Octagon soon with hymnists!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Great article, Melofluent. Reminds me of the other day when I was looking for the hymn ST CLEMENT on Hymnary. My choices were:

The day you gave us, God, is ended
    The day Thou gavest, Lord, is ended

A pretty dramatic demonstration of the need for a sacral vernacular, if you want to call it that.
  • ronkrisman
    The Text Review Committee for Worship IV did think that some of the hymn text changes in Worship III were uncalled for or even grammatically incorrect.

Professor Esolen would have done well to compare texts in both editions before writing something about Worship III.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think the more interesting topic that could come out of this is the quality of televised Masses. Does your Diocese try to do their best with their televised Mass? Or do they try to fit everything in 30 minutes, because it's the least expensive method of having Mass available for the home bound?
  • I think these changes just further reflect the deterioration of the quality of education and the deliberate dumbing-down of generations for the last 50 years. One example I always think of is "Immaculate Mary." Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the original hymn says,

"You reign now in splendor with Jesus our King,"

whereas the hymnals published by OCP all say,

"You reign now in Heaven with Jesus our King."

So...do people really not know what "splendor" means anymore? Or are they just assuming that people won't know what it means because we're all so stupid?
  • donr
    They think that some people are not as intelligent as others and that you need to do everything to the lowest common denominator. We don't want to challenge anyone out of fear of offending those that have a harder time.
  • Kathy
    What is the Octagon?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Sounds like a UFC reference.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Or are they just assuming that people won't know what it means because we're all so stupid?
    It sounds smells to me as if it's more a case of OCP changing the text (and yes dumbing it down) in order to put it under their own copyright. Splendor Heaven forbid they would use the original text verbatim, especially if it's in the public domain.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Kathy, it was a humorous reference to the Mixed Marshal Arts cage that seems to have replaced the boxing ring as a venue for artful combat.
    No offense was intended, really.
  • ronkrisman
    Checking Breaking Bread, there is no claim of copyright by OCP. The ascription under Immaculate Mary states that the text is from Parochial Hymn Book, 1897.

Does musiclover88 know if his or her text is older than that? And if not, then what? Will he or she make an apology for his or her statement?

It amazes me the number of calumnies and falsehoods stated on this Forum which could easily be avoided if the posters were only to check something out before spewing forth their comments.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It amazes me the number of calumnies and falsehoods stated on this Forum which could easily be avoided if the posters were only to check something out before spewing forth their comments.

Yeah, that never happens at other notable blogs. Just ask Chris Grady, Gerard Flynn, Bill de Haas......
    "Calumnies?" The application of that clerical judgment is itself amazing.
  • ronkrisman

Yeah, that never happens at other notable blogs. Just ask Chris Grady, Gerard Flynn, Bill de Haas......

That's a pretty weak rationalization. Others do it, why shouldn't we?
  • Kathy
    Melo, I didn't take offense. I just don't know enough about sports.

I hope Tony Esolen gets a copy of Worship IV!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm not rationalizing. I don't have a dog in this hunt. Your words, "this Forum," prompted a simple reflection.
  • Kathy
    We can't sing immaculate Mary anyway, because of a liturgical reason Fr Krisman invented the other day.
  • It amazes me the number of calumnies and falsehoods stated on this Forum which could easily be avoided if the posters were only to check something out before spewing forth their comments.

...are you serious? It was just an observation I made in a word change in a hymn. Really not necessary to be accusing me of calumny. Sheesh.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • kevinfkevinf
    The type of falsehoods and calumnies claimed by Fr. Krisman run pretty much about the same on many of the Catholic liturgy forums. I take the attitude of "trust but verify" in many of these discussions. This forum is no worse or better than for instance PT or others. I do not think it is fair to characterize this one as "worse" or even "better." It is the nature of the polemics these days. And many of us learn from these discussions, for good or bad.

After all, if its on the internet then it must be true.
    Thanked by 2musiclover88 francis
  • GavinGavin
    We can't sing immaculate Mary anyway, because of a liturgical reason Fr Krisman invented the other day.

Or just because it's awful music.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    The day you gave us, God, is ended
    The day Thou gavest, Lord, is ended

So what's wrong with "Lord"?
    And I LIKE Immaculate Mary. What's awful about it?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • doneill
    "Immaculate Mary" is loosely based on a hymn by Jeremiah Cummings called "Hail Virgin of Virgins," the version we all know first appearing in 1952. From what I can gather, the word "Heaven" is actually authentic, not an OCP revision. The version in Worship III uses the first stanza from this, but the other stanzas are a newly created text by Brian Foley.

Personally, I do agree that "splendor" is a richer image, but that doesn't mean it's original.

As far as perpetuating falsehoods - yes, it would be good to do due diligence; however, this is an internet forum, and like others, people tend to post immediate emotional reactions. Quoting something from a forum would never hold water in an academic paper, but for the exchange of ideas a forum is good.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Jeffrey----nothing is wrong with the word Lord! I infinitely prefer the second version. I think the first is bald, rude and awkward. The second is far more graceful and courteous, in my opinion anyway. I couldn't imagine directly addressing the Almighty as "God", esp. in a hymn. This sounds almost like swearing, to my old-fashioned ears anyway:

The day you gave us, God, is ended.

P.S. "O God" as in the vocative case, is fine, e.g., O God, our help in ages past, or "Holy God", but I can't think of any standard hymn that addresses God with the (too) familiar address "God."
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    More on the loss of the vocative case in liturgical language, specifically in the ICEL translations, from a commenter on Fr. Z's blog:

I notice that the use of the vocative case (O God, O Almighty Father, etc.) which was so common in vernacular translations of the prayers of the EF and the Divine Office, has been extinguished in the use of the OF prayers and the current “Morning Prayer”, etc. I do not like to order God around as in “God, come to my assistance.” It is spiritually repulsive to me to pray that way.

Is it possible that ICEL will have the grace to restore the use of the vocative case in vernacular translations, or will further generations of Catholics be ingrained in a language usage which, for all intents and purposes, prevents them from perceiving the awe and majesty of God? Language usage matters very much. It contains non-verbal content and molds how we think and communicate. The image I have of my relationship to God is expressed in how I address Him. Can ICEL not go very far in helping the restoration of the Faith by being more sensitive in translations to the idea that we are creatures dependent on our all-powerful, all-loving Creator?

P.S. As kids we used to call our friends out to play by crying “O Jiiiimmy…, O Maaaary”. We desired something. We were not ordering something.
  • rogue63
    And what's wrong with praying, "God, come to my assistance"? Did He not come among us as one of us? The full playing-out of your position is a denial of the Incarnation; that God is too great to become a lowly human. It is perfectly true that the vocative case in English no longer has any place except in parody. I can't remember ever using it seriously except when reading older prayers or Latin translations to pray.
  • bonniebede
    O Susannah, now don't you cry for me....
    O Say can you see...
    O the grand old duke of York...
    Oklahoma! where the wind comes sweeping down the... oh no, hang on a minute...that one doesn't work.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    but I can't think of any standard hymn that addresses God with the (too) familiar address "God."

Define "standard."

"God We Praise You, God We Bless You" comes to mind. If I wasn't busy, I feel like I could come up with others.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The full playing-out of your position is a denial of the Incarnation; that God is too great to become a lowly human.

I beg to differ. The truth of the Incarnation is that Jesus is both God and man so it's not irrational to refer to Him and address Him with special consideration and respect.

Adam, I'm sure you're correct. I just couldn't think of any offhand. It seems to me in most hymns God is addressed with a title or in the vocative. I'm looking through the index of first lines in the Anglican Hymnbook 1982, and I see

Almighty God, O King, my God, O Lord, O Father, O blessed Jesus, O Christ, Creating God, God, my King, O thou great Jehovah, O my Lord, God of mercy, God of our fathers.

I see several that begin with O God, and O Lord, or Lord, but only two that address God directly:

God, you stretched the spangled heavens
    God, you have us power to sound

So . . . I will modify my original statement to say that the general custom in traditional sacred hymnody is to address the Lord in the vocative or with an adjective or adjective phrase, an invocation or title of some sort.
  • rogue63
    Bonniebede, you prove my point; all of your examples are 18th- or 19th- century texts. The distance of 100-200 years can make a great difference in language, perhaps even to unintelligibility. That is the ephmeral nature of language. Where are the examples---even from 1950---of something similar, in the common parlance, using the vocative case? or 2012? Our language has evolved and continues to evolve.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The full playing-out of your position is a denial of the Incarnation; that God is too great to become a lowly human.

I beg to differ. The truth of the Incarnation is that Jesus is both God and man so it's not irrational to refer to Him and address Him with special consideration and respect.

It is possible that there have been times in the Church's history when the common view of Jesus was so elevated that all traces of his humanity were lost from popular thought. In these cases, perhaps more attention ought to have been paid to his human characteristics, and our sacral language could have better trained our minds to hold a more complete view of his dual nature.

However, I fear the opposite is true today. Jesus is merely a human, a subject of historical curiosity, a master ethicist, a teacher, a messiah-figure among many first-century messiahs. The world needs more reminders of his divinity, I think.
  • rogue63
    Do Christians need this, though? Do we really need to feed our scruples with fear and guilt? Our God is a God of mercy; he says that he will save those who love him, serve him, fear him, and walk with him. I am like St. Paul---the first among sinners---yet I do not doubt the mercy of God.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Where are the examples---even from 1950---of something similar, in the common parlance, using the vocative case? or 2012? Our language has evolved and continues to evolve.

Define "common parlance."

CHURCH
    O God, you search me and you know me --- Bernadette Farrell

(Oldish) POPULAR MUSIC
    Oh, my love, my darling --- Unchained Melody

I don't listen to a lot of pop music, but I'm sure there's plenty of vocative case, even today.
  • rogue63
    revision:

I think I meant: Common speaking voice. Sung speech is, in most of these cases, intended to be more dramatic than something we would actually say to a live person. If I addressed my wife at breakfast "Oh, my love, my darling" she would think I'm looney. If I say "Good morning, dear. I love you." She gives me a kiss.

Is that a clearer distinction? I like singing things with the vocative case, I just think it's a weak reason by itself to elevate or denigrate a hymn.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    When did anyone talk like that in normal speech?
  • bonniebede
    Not to me....but I would not necessarily be averse to it...
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    O Bonnie Bee, how I admire thee. : )
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Is that a clearer distinction? I like singing things with the vocative case, I just think it's a weak reason by itself to elevate or denigrate a hymn.

O honorable Rogue63, I would tend to agree, but if one has a choice as I did, I'll go with the more elevated liturgical language every time since I am of the opinion that the use of a sacral vernacular could go a long way towards restoring a sense of the sacred in the OF.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • rogue63
    Elevated liturgical language? That's what ambos are for.
    Thanked by 2Gavin CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'd say both ambos and elevated liturgical language, as well as transcendent music, majestic ritual, beautiful, dignified vestments, and sublime architecture are all aids to a more meaningful worship experience.
  • chonakchonak
    Ambos, ambos, where you been?
  • I notice that the use of the vocative case (O God, O Almighty Father, etc.) which was so common in vernacular translations of the prayers of the EF and the Divine Office, has been extinguished in the use of the OF prayers and the current “Morning Prayer”, etc. I do not like to order God around as in “God, come to my assistance.” It is spiritually repulsive to me to pray that way.

Is it possible that ICEL will have the grace to restore the use of the vocative case in vernacular translations, or will further generations of Catholics be ingrained in a language usage which, for all intents and purposes, prevents them from perceiving the awe and majesty of God? Language usage matters very much. It contains non-verbal content and molds how we think and communicate. The image I have of my relationship to God is expressed in how I address Him. Can ICEL not go very far in helping the restoration of the Faith by being more sensitive in translations to the idea that we are creatures dependent on our all-powerful, all-loving Creator?

P.S. As kids we used to call our friends out to play by crying “O Jiiiimmy…, O Maaaary”. We desired something. We were not ordering something.

I'm not sure this person could possibly have fit more errors and misconceptions about the vocative into three short paragraphs. But I will just say--

1. The vocative in English is just the name (or other noun) itself. If you say, "I love you, Sarah," or "Dude, where's my car," or "Lord, hear our prayer," those words -- Sarah, Dude, Lord -- are in the vocative.

2. "O" is not a part of the vocative. It is a separate interjection. The OED defines O, int. as "1. Standing before a n. in the vocative relation." It is used for historical reasons and to help vocatives stand out (since otherwise they might get confused with the nominative). But a vocative is still a vocative whether or not the interjection O comes before it.

3. A vocative has nothing whatsoever to do with "ordering people around." In, "Would you like another slice of pie, Amy?", "Amy" is a vocative -- no ordering around involved. The imperative is what you use to order people around, and whether you say "Lord, grant us to walk in your ways" or "O Lord, grant us to walk in your ways," in both cases "Lord" is vocative and "grant" is imperative.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Very interesting, Mark. I guess I learned my grammar in an archaic textbook. : )
    By "vocative case" the commenter above and I were referring more to the translation of Latin nouns in the vocative case such as Domine and Deus, which would be translated as O Lord, and O God.

Quickly looking up "O" in Wiktionary, I see it is defined as a vocative particle:

O
    (grammar) The English vocative particle, used for direct address.  
    The word O is always written in upper case in modern usage.
    O is often used in translations from languages which have the vocative case.
    Although it is not strictly archaic, the particle is sometimes used archaizingly. It conveys a formal or reverential tone.
  • dad29
    The distance of 100-200 years can make a great difference in language, perhaps even to unintelligibility. That is the ephmeral nature of language.

O Lord, I am so stupid
    That auld language flees from me.
    O! Work Your gentle curing
    Of my stu--pi--di--teeee!

My children are very facile with older usage of English because I made it a point to educate them. No problem.
  • rogue63
    Well, good for you, dad29! Can they handle English pre-Great Vowel Shift? Can they manage Beowulf in the original?

My point is that language is by its nature fleeting and oftem fails us in our attempts to describe the ineffable God.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Gavin
  • dad29
    Yah, well, erudition is a permanent thing which ought to be encouraged. YMMV
  • dad29
    language is by its nature fleeting

Thank you, by the way, for your well-stated argument pro lingua sacra!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The only point I'm trying to make is that even in the OF texts, there ought to be some elements incorporated that characterize a sacred language as distinct from profane, ordinary language. It would seem the best way would be to adopt some archaisms or to follow the linguistic style of preconciliar English Missal translations and prayers. There does exist a well-defined sacral vernacular. Fr. Hunwicke on his blog mentioned it the other day:

English does possess a sacral hieratic language ... that of the Book of Common Prayer and the King James Bible ... which was alive and well when she [Catherine Mohrmman] wrote and is not quite dead now. Crafted initially in 1548/9, this liturgical dialect does not suffer from the problems inherent in the liturgical use of modern vernaculars.

Thanked by 2Adam Wood dad29
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have told many people, when they complain about 'thee' and 'thy' in certain hymns or prayers used at public devotions, and say "We don't talk like that. We're supposed to use the vernacular, not old English", that there is a difference between "Vernacular", particularly a formal "Vernacular", language and "Colloquial" language, and that what they want is what they think is "Colloquial" English. I remind them that: 1) people still use Thee and Thy when speaking, even colloquially, in certain places, so it isn't a dead usage; 2) it isn't Old English--Beowulf is Old English, Chaucer is Middle English, Shakespeare is Modern English; 3) everything for the use of the Church, whether language, music, or vestments, ought to be set aside for that Sacred Use, ought to be distinct from what is encountered in everyday, colloquial life--why, for example, we use Chant and not Pop Music--therefore it is completely fitting that we have a style of English Usage that is set aside from the everyday, a style of English Usage that is elevated in tone and used only for the Sacred, a style of English Usage that has, at least, some liturgical history behind it. It should be noted, for example, that probably no one in Tudor England actually spoke to their neighbour like the Authorized Version or the Coverdale Psalter, that was, even then, a distinct and elevated Usage of the English Tongue, set aside for Sacred, State, and Literary use.

John Smyth, the Baker, probably didn't go home and say to Mistress Smyth: And Lo! Unto me did come three men, who, from afar, didst seem like unto Angels from on High; and yet, when they drew nearer unto me, I saw, not without displeasure that they were magistrates sent of Sir Lawrence, who, as thou knowest well, dear lady, is greatly displeased with our Sow, which we have had but only four days, but which, so he saith, stinketh so mightily as to make even the Saints in Heaven weep bitterly, such as that no man can calm them! O woe! O woe is us! Forsooth, they didst say, those Angels of Death, that even in four days more, if that same sow not be removed by us, that they themselves will come unto us, and with their own bare hands, wrest her life from her before our very eyen! O woe!
  • CharlesW
    There can be elevated contemporary English, if...

you can find someone skilled enough to write it
    you can find bishops willing to approve it
    you can find musicians who will set it to decent music
    you can find readers who can proclaim it clearly
    you can find congregations willing to pay attention to it. Now that's a hard one!
  • rogue63
    CharlesW +1

It's even more elevated if sung from the choir loft.

• CharlesW
    It's even more elevated if sung from the choir loft.

Twenty feet up for us. It's the steep stairs that increase lung capacity. LOL.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Verily methinks what thou sayest 'tis most splendid, Salieri.

More apt thoughts on sacred liturgical language from the Vatican website from a 2011 statements from the Office for Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff:

"Sacred language, being the means of expression not only of individuals, but rather of a community that follows its traditions, is conservative: it maintains the archaic linguistic forms with tenacity."

"In the course of history a wide variety of languages has been used in Christian worship: Greek in the Byzantine tradition; the different languages of the Eastern traditions, such as Syriac, Armenian, Georgian, Coptic and Ethiopic; Paleo-Slavic; the Latin of the Roman rite and of the other Western rites."

" . . . Finally, it is necessary to preserve the sacred character of the liturgical language in the vernacular translation, as noted with exemplary clarity in the Instruction of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments on the translation of liturgical books Liturgiam Authenticam of 2001. A notable fruit of this instruction is the new English translation of the Missale Romanum, which will be introduced in many English-speaking countries in the course of this year.

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/details/ns_lit_doc_20110209_lingua_en.html