Traditional Irish Blessing Music
  • Is there such a beast, lady preparing for her own funeral wants to know.

Thank you...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The Rutter is a fine work, not difficult.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    This one is kinda catchy. I wouldn't suggest it for Mass, but it would be fine for the Funeral Home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drsel41LCYU
  • bonniebede
    Please do not use the above examples - utterly embarrassing!

If you want good contemporary choral music from Ireland try Ronan McDonagh and Fuamloai. Ronan is a wonderful composer, sensitively using Ancient Irish texts with music which draws from Irish, Gregorian and choral roots.
    Eirim suas
    Eirm suas would be an interesting choice for a funeral.
  • bonniebede
    For another piece, in English which could be used at communion, try this, based on Tantu Ergo
    Come Adore by Ronan MacDonagh
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • bonniebede
    Also suitable for a funeral would be the piece 'heal my soul for I have sinned' (which goes on 'let me rise in the fullness of your presence'
    A snippet here on their CD page.
    Heal my soul
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • bonniebede
    Traditionally, Irish people sang Gregorian chant at Mass. Traditional Irish music even draws its modalities from Chant.
    Please do not be fooled by twee pop Oirishness
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • bonniebede
    nice use here of a traditional Irish text by Arvo Part
    arvo part Christ with me
    I think it was commissioned by an irish choir.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Love all these Irish tunes! Thanks, Bonnie, and a very happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

Do you have any festivities planned for tomorrow?
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Back up.

Lady is planning her funeral wants a simple solo vocal arrangement with piano or organ arrangement of Irish Blessing. That's All.

Can we help this Catholic lady or does she have to die not getting what she would be comforted by having planned because we all have...agendas?

This all has reminded of a racy joke that I will not tell.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, Noel, since it's (1) a request, (2) said to be "traditional", and (3) Irish (-American), and (4) a blessing, then probably the lady wants something rather sentimental, so even if it's considered "embarrassing", that one's likely to be the one the lady wants. Any chance you could take on this arrangement?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uli4qfH07Io
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • bonniebede
    @chonak great music, thanks!

@Noel....Sorry Noel, not trying to push an agenda...seeing how you have capitalised 'Irish Blessing' makes me realise you meant it as a specific thing, I read it a little differently. I am of course familiar with the lyric used in the music samples called an Irish Blessing, but, sorry, the tradition is not all that traditional, and is more likely to evoke cheap tourist gimcrackery than anything which draws on our deep and authentic religious traditions. For a start, if you want Irish tradition, why would you be singing in English?
    However, I fully appreciate the lady you had in mind might have some specific need, sorry if my hearing it as a more generic request caused confusion.
    And of course, maudlin sentimentality is a definite part of Irish culture, at least at a wake, when one has drink taken....

@Julie... Ronan is doing something really good with his music...he teaches composition in our national seminary and I hope he will have some impact on Irish Church music. It badly needs it.

Weather permitting, myself and some friends will visit Glendalough after Mass with kids in tow, always good for a few hours out in the fresh air.

somewhere to picnic
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sounds lovely, Bonnie. Wish I could fly over the pond to join you!
    Thanked by 1bonniebede