A Friendly Request...
  • SalieriSalieri
    If y'all wouldn't mind sending a quick prayer in my and my choir's direction, I'd appreciate it.

The Bishop is coming for Mass tonight, and for some reason, I feel extremely nervous. I don'r really know why. Especially considering that everything is more or less normal, musically--it is Lent, after all.

I have done several high-profile Masses: including the parish's centennial Mass in '09 (the Bishop-different Bishop-was there for that), Confirmations, and even a Diaconate ordination at the Cathedral, and wasn't this nervous. I slept extremely poorly last night because of this. Until yesterday I was alright, then the nerves just sorta kicked in.

Sorry, I babbling. Orate pro nobis!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • JahazaJahaza
    Prayers!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Let not your heart be troubled, Antonio, all is "In Nomine Patri, et Filius, et Spritu Sanctus, amen."
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thoughts and prayers headed your way!

P.S. May I recommend a nice hot cup of chamomile tea with honey. My son says he and his law school friends drink it before exams and it really works.
  • bonniebede
    praying
  • CharlesW
    Prayers. Now keep telling yourself that you are a capable and talented musician, you have practiced and prepared adequately, that you can't control every possible random occurrence, and that you will do your usual great job.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks, Charles: Someone else told me to imagine the bishop naked---NOT a pleasant image. I think your advise is better! LOL.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    BTW, the Carmelite monks in Wyoming have just introduced "Peaceful Monk" tea. I could go for some of that myself right now.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Mary Ann
    Prayers said for you. Be assured all will be well. Holy Mass AND the Archbishop: What a double blessing for you, your choir, and the parishioners!
  • TCJ
    Last time the bishop was at Mass here, I was the cantor... and my voice entirely disappeared after the homily! It was there during the psalm and gone twenty minutes later. That was awkward.
  • ghmus7
    I know the feeling. Sometimes you think that there will be something in the Liturgy that his excellency won't like - too much Latin, too long, too much choral singing, music that is too cerebral, not enough "Here I am Lord", too much organ.... etc. Ultimately, we do our work and trust in the Lord.
    Bishops visit a hundred parishes through the year, I'm sure that what you are doing is probably better than nearly all of them!
    God Bless you.
  • I hope it all went well for you, Salieri! I only played at a Mass with a bishop one time and I didn't even know that he was there until the Mass started...I guess that was a good thing, because I didn't have time to get nervous.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks to all for your prayers! I think it was one of those things were your mind gets ahead of yourself, and you imagine a worst-case scenario of apocalyptic proportions (pontifical zombies?), while your rational self is trying, very had and with little success, to stay focused.

All went well: Bishop was very pleased, and mentioned to me several times afterward how nice the choir sounded; and was also very happy with the parish and people--especially the number of young people. He comes back in a month for the Pastor Emeritus's Memorial Mass. Let's hope I don't get so nerved up for that!
  • Valerian root tea is also helpful, although it has a tendency to stir the unconscious, so it may give you strange dreams or nightmares. I've also used 5-HTP (Hydroxytryptophan) for insomnia with great results and no side effects. Glad to hear all went well!
  • SalieriSalieri
    What I found particularly interesting was when the next day someone mentioned to me that they liked the inclusion of the chant in the booklet in the square notation, because they felt that the notation was part of our Catholic Patrimony that needs to be recovered: not just the sung chant as patrimony by the actual notation of the chant--I had never thought of that before.

This was not a musician, BTW, just an average PIP.