• +
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • RevAMG
    The Rite for Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist Outside Mass (Eucharistiae Sacramentum), states that an acclamation or song of praise is sung or recited after benediction and reposition, such as the Divine Praises. The tradition of doing benediction, the Divine Praises, reposition, and then singing Holy God is not envisioned by the Rite, even though that's the most common way of doing benediction (at least in the United States). In my days in seminary, we followed the ritual closely and only said the Divine Praises and never sung Holy God. Nevertheless, while Holy God is a paraphrase of the Te Deum, there's no prohibition of saying it during Lent outside of the Divine Office. Now, whether it should be prayed is another topic, but the Rite for Benediction never mentions it or Holy God. The way it's supposed to be done is one acclamation or song: the Divine Praises or another song or praise.
  • mahrt
    Holy God is perhaps the one hymn that most Catholic congregations can sing well. We sing the Gregorian propers at Mass and no hymns, but after benediction, I have thought it wise to include Holy God.
  • MatthewRoth
    Interestingly, the Rituale Romanum suggests another Latin text to be sung, but one could sing whatever one wished. In the US it is almost always Holy God. (The RR also did not legislate the O Salutaris, but again, it is done everywhere...).
  • Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, the post-Benediction hymn in Lent was either Parce Domine, or Attende Domine.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Um, I must object -
    Attende Domine is not a hymn... it is a responsory
    (otherwise known as The Lenten Prose).
  • Attende Domine as appears to have been cobbled together from disparate sources. Old hymnals like the St. Rose Hymnal had lots of different items that could be sung in place of the Adoremus, which was in many places the default piece sung after the Divine Praises.