Cardinal Egan's Funeral
  • Did anyone see the "worship aid" from Cardinal Egan's funeral Mass? Not bad!

The aid (Linked from here)

I never got a chance to get to know much about him, but I will now.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    RIP. Cardinal Egan was a very accomplished classical pianist. From what I understand he was the first NY cardinal to live to retirement age so there was no retirement residence available when he retired. He wanted to live very simply in retirement; his only request apparently was that his grand piano could be accommodated.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    My goodness! What a truly pleasant surprise! A model for others, I hope.
  • The article says that the In Paradisum was to be used as the procession to the grave, but the aid puts it as the Song of Farewell. I know that in my own research the resources are confused/confusing on this issue (I understand it to the the former: a procession).

Anyone else encounter this confusion?
  • cmb
    What?!? No Eagle's Wings???
  • Looks very good, though even here they couldn't escape the beautiful but overused (it's been worked too hard and needs a holiday) Schubert Ave Maria (though I bet they at least had someone with the voice to do it justice!).
  • francis
    cmb... looks like he was raised up on angel wings instead.
  • johnmann
    Ave Maria was sung by Renee Fleming. If I had to guess, I would say it was a request by family.

Didn't Obama quote from On Eagle's Wings at Selma?
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • bonniebede
    @johnman, did not see all the Selma speech, but I did see him alluding to the verses in Isaiah which on eagles wings is based on.
  • doneill
    The full transcript of Obama's speech is here: http://time.com/3736357/barack-obama-selma-speech-transcript/
    He does not quote "On Eagle's Wings," but does quote Isaiah 40, which did inspire that phrase of "On Eagle's Wings" (which is mostly a paraphrase of Psalm 91).
  • doneill
    I actually don't see this as a model funeral liturgy; it's a mixed bag.There is a prelude and postlude, which go against the guidelines. There is no translation or composer given for the offertory piece, which is strangely called by the English term "anthem." And use of the Cecilian movement music of the offertory piece and Perosi (which Cardinal Egan apparently favored, possibly due to his love of Italian opera) is not doing us any favors - it's weak music compared to chant and Renaissance polyphony. The In Paradisum really should have been at the end, rather than at the Song of Farewell, and instead of the triumphant hymn "Sing with all the saints in glory." There are some good things like the Faure and use of the proper communion chant. Besides that, the music was evidently chosen according to the desires of Cardinal Egan and his family, rather than presenting the idea that the church provides one model funeral liturgy for all. Huge event funerals like this are always unique, and should not be seen as models for anything.
  • Liam
    I have another bias against the standard version of "Sing With All The Saints In Glory": the squared-off rhythm that erases the anticipated rhythm Beethoven specified for the last line of the tune. It's a good example of how one seemingly small change can produce mediocrity instead of beauty.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Singing In Paradisum at the end wouldn't make sense, since the Cardinal had already been placed in his final resting place there in the Cathedral. The In Paradisum is, I believe, only sung at the end of a Funeral if the body is to leave the church.
  • It's an interesting point (one I think we often feel compelled to make, whether we do or not): musically, the plan is vibrant and strong, but liturgically, it does not serve the funeral to the extent that it could, either because of wrong placement or weak selection.

We cannot settle for beautiful music, but for proper music ,be it literal Propers or music selected to serve and express the particular liturgical moment.
  • The In Paradisum is, I believe, only sung at the end of a Funeral if the body is to leave the church.

@matthewj, wasn't he transferred from before the altar to the crypt? That would still be a procession, even if it doesn't leave the church.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Just my opinion, but after that travesty in Chicago, I'm hesitant to criticize the choices they've made here. This is on the right track, IMHO.
  • ronkrisman
    Ritually it would have been better to have both the Rite of Final Commendation (upstairs) and the Rite of Committal (crypt) instead of using the combined Rite of Committal and Final Commendation (a rite often used when there are no other funeral rites at all or when the funeral Mass or liturgy takes place in another city). Using both rites, the In Paradisum would then better serve as the processional chant (perhaps even repeated several times) for the movement to the crypt.
  • MatthewRoth
    I thought one would skip the Penitential Act, and Mass VIII was an odd choice. Which Pater Noster tone was used (round note heads throw me off entirely: I can barely read chant as it is...)? But the Introit and the Lux aeterna were good. I could have done with just the hymn and not the Franck and Schubert at Communion...
  • SalieriSalieri
    The penitential act is omitted if the reception of the body takes place at the beginning of Mass; usually priests lie in state at the church from the vigil, so the body would already have been there, and so the mass would begin as usual with the entrance procession, and then the greeting, penitential act, etc.

But I do agree that Mass VIII was an odd choice: is the Requiem Kyrie really too hard? A-A-A'-A'-A-B, or A-A-A-A'-A'-A'-A-A-B, really, they couldn't learn it?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Prelude in E minor, Op. 28, No. 4 Frédéric Chopin arr. Michael Hey
    I'm not familiar with this version but am a little surprised it exists, given the excellence of Franz Liszt's transcription.

I confess I can't help smiling when I hear the Barber. At my first church job I got to listen to it four Sundays in a row after the O-C gave notice.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • At my first church job I got to listen to it four Sundays in a row after the O-C gave notice.

Offensive Coordinator?
    Thanked by 2Spriggo CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    That might be a good guess in some contexts, but I meant Organist/Choir director.
  • MatthewRoth
    Well, I can't complain too much. I think the omission of the Penitential Act whenever another rite precedes is crazy. (Another reason for me to stick to the EF, but hey!) The Requiem Kyrie is fantastically easy, actually... Mass VIII is a particularly odd choice considering it's associated with the Mass of baptized children who die before the age of reason.
  • Caleferink
    I agree that the Kyrie de Angelis is a bit odd and some things like the Schubert "Ave Maria" may need a rest (no pun intended), but overall, compared to the average funeral even for priests and bishops, this is indeed a vast improvement and a move in the right direction overall, IMHO.