Questions About GIA Publications
  • Hello all! I'm a newcomer here, but have loved the conversations and finally decided to join the blog.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here, but I've always wanted to know more about GIA Publications and the inner workings. I started playing in parishes when I was in middle school and have always been surrounded by GIA published music and hymnals, like Gather Comprehensive II and now Worship IV. But, I've never really known much about GIA besides their music.

How are they structured? Who makes the decisions on what they publish? Who are the key people in the business? What else is interesting/intriguing about them? I know there are many people who devoutly use their products, and others who have major issues. For some reason, the company seems to keep their inner workings off the public radar, which I find interesting since GIA has really transformed the music in the mainstream church.

I suppose I'm asking a lot of questions, but it's just out of curiosity. It seems like everybody here is much more well equipped to answer my questions!
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Fr. Krisman and Fr. Chipponis might be able to help.
  • Liam
    All of the major publishers for Catholic liturgical music in the USA (GIA Publications - formerly, the Gregorian Institute of America, OCP - Oregon Catholic Press, The Liturgical Press - St John's Abbey, WLP - World Library Publications of JS Paluch Company) are privately owned and similarly opaque, because like most private companies they like to keep their trade secrets to themselves. (Moreover, as their employees have a civil law duty of loyalty to their employers, they are unlikely to share any information that could become fodder for criticism of their employer. So don't expect too much....)
  • ronkrisman
    It seems like everybody here is much more well equipped to answer my questions!

I doubt that. More likely everybody here, or almost everybody, has the same questions you do.

If you want to know about the "inner workings" of GIA, write to them. No one here works for them, so why should they be answering such questions?
  • @acanderson,

You are more than welcome to email me at mattm@giamusic.com for questions regarding GIA or any other needs. I'm glad to see you're using Worship IV!

All my best,

Matthew Merz
    Marketing Associate
    GIA Publications, Inc.
    mattm@giamusic.com
  • No one here works for them

they are unlikely to share any information that could become fodder for criticism of their employer. So don't expect too much....)

A bit of an assumption, no? There's a wealth of information available in this group but unfortunately many have chosen to stop posting for various reasons...
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • any other needs

Matt, I'd love to have digital downloads of some of your stuff.
    Even if it's flagged "For private use only, for liturgical use order GIA publication 1234567x" in the copyright block or something.
    I purchase downloads from OCP and I can play a song I like instantly.
    When I order from GIA, I pay for shipping, and wait...
    They do arrive in a timely fashion, but really I only use the songs for personal enjoyment with my wife and family. I am not a church musician.
  • chonakchonak
    Some of the major publishers are non-profit organizations, and therefore file annual reports with the IRS (form 990). These are public records and can be viewed on guidestar.org.
  • @SeasonPsalt,

You are welcome to email me at mattm@giamusic.com and we can discuss details and see what's possible to do.

All my best,

Matt
  • Oregon Catholic Press (OCP) is part of the Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon.