How to get people singing info page of value.
  • Noel,

There was a lot of advice in this article.

But Jonathan gave no before and after samples of his non-singing church to his singing church.

Just what I percieve are his own (and other's) likes and dislikes, to scratch people's backs.

Has his advice worked?

I mean, I like a lot of it, personally, but I disagree following this advice would "get a church singing."

I've been wrong before. Maybe I am again.
  • What of his suggestions won't work, do you think?

I just reread it. He's not talking about his church or a Catholic church, but a church that has gone all contemporary - like many Catholic churches, but way beyond that in terms of style, expense and showmanship.

I cannot see anything that he has said that would not go to help get a Catholic church singing again - or for the first time!
  • It's easier for me to say which of his suggestions I think WILL work,

But then I'm just thinking, no experience or examples here:

1. Teach. Teach your people. Teach them why we sing. Teach them why we sing the songs we sing. Teach them how to sing as well as they possibly can.

9. Encourage and support the arts in the community. Take a group to the symphony. Offer the use of your sanctuary for school and community performances. Though it may not mean immediate results for your congregation, it will promote music-making in your community.

10. Bring the kids back into corporate worship. Honestly, there’s no way congregational singing can survive even another generation unless we start with the youngest worshippers.

Honestly, I don't believe any of the rest of his suggestions will help moving a non-singing congregation to a singing congregation, though a lot of them ARE nice suggestions.

I mean, there is a lot of stuff involved psychologically. "I can't sing." "I just want to go to Mass and get it over with." "The print in the hymnal is too small, I can't read it." "If that baby would stop crying, I'd sing." "The priest has a terrible voice." "I have to know when to stand up to go to the Eucharist line." "I don't even know what 'Sanctus' means, and I'm not going to learn a lot of jibberish I don't understand." "I wish they'd sing in Latin, they keep changing everything on me. What is 'consubstantial' anyway? Sounds like 'concubine'"

Honestly, I think the points he made that I quoted would help, and the rest are all fluff for like-minded people.

But like I said, I'm just thinking, no experience or examples here.

Edit - Postscript as this conversation has moved well beyond my response.

and the rest are all fluff for like-minded people

was certainly not really worded properly in the way I meant to convey my message. I mean, most of Jonathan's other suggestions might really help a singing congregation sing better. But I still think his advice is a laundry list of his personal likes and dislikes, to help bring division and not unity into the congregation of the faithful.
  • SeasonPsalt, I really, really disagree with you - but that's what healthy forums are for - not to go and be put down by the local curmudgeon, but to expose your thoughts and get other's opinion with out snarkiness.

Thanks for your post!
  • SalieriSalieri
    The title of this thread immediately made me think of a congregation chanting things like:
    The Restroom is located * on the left- and right-hand sides of the entrance to the church.
    Please turn off all cell-phones and pagers, * or put them on silence.
    In case of an emergency + exits are located at the front and rear of the Church; * please ask the ushers if anyone near you needs assistance.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Well, we have become a non-singing culture in the West, so it is difficult to convince people to sing. The disposable nature of pop music makes it so that one can enjoy it without putting much effort into it. Our culture is accustomed to having music readily available in some form or another without having to do much work to provide it. Before radios, iPods, CD players, etc., if you wanted music, someone had to play it for you, or you had to play it yourself; there was work involved: effort. If you wanted to hear your favorite hymn, you had to sing it yourself or ask someone else to do it. Our modern Western culture isn't used to having to do that sort of thing anymore when it comes to music.

I agree with the presence of psychological issues, many of which stem from comparison to said pop singers and finding that with no experience or training in music at all, you don't measure up to your favorite singer, and therefore, you must just not be cut out for singing. What's even more disturbing is that people actually tell that to each other. So, if I already don't think I can sing, and someone else corroborates it, it must be true. Never mind the fact that I don't know the first thing about music nor singing, and neither does the person who told me I can't sing: if I think it's true and someone else does, too, then it's true, and I'll never be a singer. Let someone else do the job.
  • TCJ
    One problem is that I don't think the U.S. in general does much to teach children to sing. When they do, it's probably influenced too much by pop culture. If people do not begin singing as children, what is going to suddenly make them desire to when they are older? Not only will it not be habit, but it will also be much more difficult.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have been to enough congregations that sing well to know that "contemporary culture" issues are not the primary driver for a lack of singing.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • I have been to enough congregations that sing well to know that "contemporary culture" issues are not the primary driver for a lack of singing.

Expand...your thoughts are valuable to us.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Every congregation that I've witnessed that sings well has been subject to the same external cultural forces as all the ones I've been to that don't. Sometimes singing congregations and non-singing ones are just a few blocks away from each other.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I have observed the following in the same congregation, those that sing, those that don't and those that pick up the hymnal and want to sing but for reasons close it up and put it back in the pew after the hymn is started. I suspect the reasons are to numerous to mention but certainly starting after a quarter or eight rest is not conducive to good congregational singing, the text is Catechetically weak or just bad poetry. no high d's or I can't sign, etc, etc.

I believe that devotional hymns might solve this singing conundrum. Most if not all were written to be congregationally friendly, are composed with easy singable melodies, everyone starts at the same time, they are effective evangelization tools during Mass and after Mass, the text is focused on God, the Saints, the Blessed Sacrament, the Sacred Heart, the Blessed Mother or Guardian Angles and not the You, Me and I like the contemporary approach we have today that sometimes gives us an identity crisis. (IMHO)

From the article I would have to agree that it's a good practice for cantors to step away from the mic once the hymn is started and also during prayers. You don't kneed to be praying the Confeitor, Creed or the Our Father, from the mic, the same is true for dismissal chants. If the cantor detects the congregation isn't singing then reengage them and help them out. I have found these to be good cantor practices but they are not necessarily effective at improving congregational singing.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I am a trained musician with a love of hymnody. Singing in church is not only a great pleasure to me, but I believe it is my duty to do so when attending a liturgy.

I have been in more than a few liturgies where I was nearly unable to sing, either because the music was too difficult, too slow, too fast, poorly accompanied, or otherwise made difficult.

I have yet to be in a congregation where the singing was poor or lackluster and been unable to find two or three obvious and correctable contributing factors.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Too low and too slow are the usual culprits when singing is difficult for me. I agree with your last statement regarding obvious and easily correctable factors.