EF Requiem Mass for the Reinterment of King Richard III
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    "The Requiem Mass for the repose of Richard III’s soul will be held on the same day St Catherine’s Church, in Leyland, Lancashire, at 7.30pm. It will be a Sung High Latin Mass with singers from the Laeta Cantoribus Choir, “in the style and manner of (Richard III’s) day”.

“The idea is that it will be closer to what he might have experienced in his own lifetime, as a pre-reformation Catholic,” said parish priest Fr Simon Henry.

After the service, refreshments will be served, also in keeping with what King Richard might have expected in his lifetime."

From the Catholic Herald here.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • OraLabora
    Pre-reformation? Shouldn't it be the Sarum rite then? :-)
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Jeffrey Quick
    That might be too much to ask. But if there's polyphony, let's hope it's not anachronistic.
  • What a beautiful gesture! I wonder, though, how diligently 'the style and manner of (Richad III's) day' will be applied. Sarum rite? Very pre-vowel shift English pronunciation of the Latin? Period incense? Vesture? Ne'ertheless, I'm sure it will be nice and one doesn't wish to be a spoil sport. This is a beautiful thing to do for a much maligned and misunderstood monarch who may or may not be responsible for some of the wickedness attributed to him. I wish that I could be there.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    But if there's polyphony, let's hope it's not anachronistic.

Mozart's Requiem, and a motet by Peter Maxwell Davies...
  • Not just Lancashire; we've got one over in York:

We haven't been told what we singing yet, though...

• tomjaw
    There may be another Requiem or Sung Office of the Dead in London.

Now why Sarum Rite? P.S. There was also a Rite of YORK, that would have been better known by our former King.

My Vote would be for a Requiem in the Dominican Rite, this Rite would also have been well known to the King. The Traditional form of this Mass including the Chants, has not suffered as many changes as the Tridentine Rite. The Sarum or York Rites are difficult as we may not have permission to use these Rites and we do not have a clear understanding of how they were celebrated.

Fr Simon Henry has a blog here, http://offerimustibidomine.blogspot.co.uk

N.B. I believe the Cardinal is also 'presiding' at a 'Requiem' Mass, of course this will be the N.O. Mass (a form of worship totally alien to the King).
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • MatthewRoth
    One needs no permission for Sarum, York, etc. since Quo Primum was never revoked or abrogated. But it would take a CDW confirmation because in the late 1990s some cleric there said you did... Fr. Finnegan (“Pastor in Valle”) on his blog wrote about it, as he actually celebrated Sarum twice at Merton College, Oxford.
  • The outpouring of genuine affection and respect for this sad monarch is a reminder to all of us, both 'over there' and 'over here', who love our royalty (though they often don't deserve it!) that very much of our history is woven with the vicissitudes of succession squabbles. Though some assert that he was a somewhat enlightened ruler for his age, we likely will never know how guilty or innocent Richard III was of the ugly crimes attributed to him. However, his recent and belated burial has brought one aspect quite forward in my mind, one which seems to have been rather overlooked. That is to say, the aspect of England's future after Bosworth: what if Richard had won a Yorkist victory? The Tudors would, then, have never been heard of other than as historical would-have-beens. No Tudors, no Henry the Bad. No caesaro-papist Church of England, no Elizabeth I. It is inevitable that history would have been quite different what with the absence of all the religious and political upheaval following Bosworth and the Tudor period, leaving no empowered protestantising party to wreak its havoc on a faith to which the English populace was devoted deeply. (Precisely because of its profoundly Catholic nature, this land of England was known as 'our Lady's dowery', and Walsingham was one of the most storied and visited of all Europe's Marian shrines.) No Tudor legacy, no Stuarts, no regicide and cromwellian inter-regnum, no Restoration. No coup d'etat by James II's impudent daughter and her Dutch husband, no Hanoverians, and!... no Victoria. Would England have become the great world hegemon that it did under rulers who may or may not have chosen the course of state power and aggrandisement which was the Tudor legacy? Well, these are my thoughts, and they bear on church music, too, because we likely would have seen a very different musical tradition passed on to us than the one we have: no Anglican chant, the English anthem would likely not have developed as it did; and the Anglican liturgical patrimony which we have today would, doubtless, be a very different one. Perhaps (and perhaps not) we would continue to see the Sarum use as it continued as a venerable rite following Trent. Absent the very best fruits of the Oxford movement, would there even be what we know in our time as an Anglican liturgical patrimony: no Caroline divines, none of the many influences that have flowered in the best of this partrimony, no BCP to put to shame every other attempt (so far) at an hieratic Anglophone vernacular, and no evensong. Too, J.H. Newman would have been a very different person. How would the choral tradition of the cathedrals, the likes of which are unknown anywhere else, have fared? Would there be anything distinguishable from today's ordinary English Catholicism... which hardly is a distinguished patrimonial practicum in any liturgical sense. (On the other hand, what other European Catholicism has the likes of music and liturgy as that at Westminster Cathedral or the Oratory?: None. Not even the Vatican!) Second guessing history is an exercise in positing what we really cannot know, but it is tempting to posit, just the same.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I have thought of this, too. But then I remember Henry VII's Lady Chapel at Westminster, and feel some solace. It would have, perhaps, been different still if Arthur had lives, and Henry simply become a Monk.
  • Salieri: can't you just see Henry as a monk! Pity his poor brethren.
    You are right, though: an Arthurian England, if it had resulted in successions less chaotic and religiously charged than those of the XVIth and XVIIth centuries, most likely would have resulted in many of the same what ifs as those I mused over above.

Too, it is a sad reality that the universities, both of them, and the lawyer classes as well, were at that time hotbeds of Protestant and Lutheran sentiment. What their influence on society would have been absent royal empowerment for dynastic concerns we cannot know.
  • Liam
    If Margaret Beaufort had lived to a very old age (she died within a week of Henry VIII & Katherine's coronations, which Margaret arranged....) instead of dying at 66 (old for her time, but much older was not unheard of), she would have probably have dealt with the Boleyn family and made sure Henry's appetites were channelled to non-ambitious creatures. And she would have seen Princess Mary properly married in a way to secure the dynasty, probably to a Plantagenet groomed under Margaret's supervision.

'cuz Margaret Beaufort was something of a force of nature. It's where Henry VIII got his drive from, and misused it.

Going back further, if Henry V had lived a long life.....
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • A very interesting hypothesis, Salieri -
    Ah yes! So many 'might have beens', but only one 'was'.
    It's sort of like those who relive Waterloo and such: 'if only, oh, if only....'.