AMAZON REVIEW: Why Catholics Can't Sing: The Culture of Catholicism and the Triumph of Bad Taste
  • Understand the Dark Days of Catholic Music

By William P. Cunningham on August 25, 2001

Once upon a time the Nasty Old Church was dominated by gray-haired old men in choir robes who led choirs in renditions of the St. Gregory Hymnal and choral Masses of great insipidity. Then the Fathers of Vatican Council II wisely sat together and, behold, decreed that all the people should sing together in Latin and Gregorian chant should have pride of place. But, said they, in certain mission lands indigenous music and language may be used in some circumstances. Then came fell creatures fresh from six months of classes in Pastoral Music, bearing guitars and microphones and amplified boxes filled with transistors. And, behold, they appealed to the Spirit of Vatican II, who heard their pleas and gave them power over religious women, and men with itching ears. And these cried out to their bishops, saying "away with anything written before 1970, and with organs of metal and wood, and with choruses singing aught unsyncopated, and with any instrument that is not plucked. And they cast all these into the fire, and behold there was such a noisesome sound as had not been heard since the dawn of time. Thomas Day, sometimes with tongue in cheek, but often with pitchfork in hand, skewers the new liturgical music establishment without mercy. He indicts FBI (Foreign Born Irish) priests for imposing a reign of silence and maudlin hymns on generations of American Catholics. But he also impales those who impose unsingable light rock music with insipid lyrics and syncopated melodies. Unfortunately, Day's analysis is not dated in 2001. We are still stuck with the drivel that poured forth from the St. Louis Jesuits in the seventies. Indeed, the new liturgical music reign of terror is worse than the old maudlin hymns ever were. Day doesn't have much hope for change, and, unfortunately, events since publication of this classic have pretty well borne him out. We're now into the third generation of American Catholics who--unless they have lived in Europe or some of the last remaining havens of good music here and there in the U.S.--have never heard Gregorian chant or anything composed prior to 1970.
  • I love this guy.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And there is much to love, mon ami. I don't agree with his assessment of 14 years prior, but assuming his premise, there has to be a détente in every parish which accounts for the inclusion of every worthy piece of music/text that advances "the new evangelization." This opinion may not satisfy the convictions of every adherent here, but it is a political reality that has to be factored into the salvation of souls.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I wonder if Day's book is the beginning of the open critique of Roman rite music? When I was beginning this work in the 80's and even into the 90's, critiques of the "drivel" were few and far between. I attended a workshop in 1992 which more or less assailed the then current state of "liturgical" music and the presenter was booed off the stage. From friends in university music depts, there was often a sheepish smile that came over their faces when talk of Roman rite music came up. My own teacher looked at me funny when I said I wanted to work in the Roman rite. It was more or less presumed that RC's were the laughing stock of music in the churches.

So, with the development of the internet and Day's book (and other discussions, even this forum), it has become a more public discussion that has grown in stature.

A friend of mine recently said to me, "You know the question has grown to the point when even the clergy are talking about it because for most clergy, this question is not even on their radar." Of course, my response to that was that many clergy live in fear. Change will only come when brave souls will uphold a level of quality.

But there will always be martyrs for this humble cause we call "sacred music."
  • I love this guy and kevin in kentucky and melofluent,and sprig too...and all those that read postings but never post. Those people, especially.
    Thanked by 1melofluent