Colloquium "Follies"
  • Sooooooo - saw that there were going to be 'Follies' at the upcoming Colloquium. Anyone planning for that? Anyone . . . up for improv???
  • Liam

"The Road You Didn't Take"
    "In Francis' Eyes"
    "Who's That Singer?"
    "I'm Still Here"
    "Too Many Masses"
    "The Right Chant"
    "One More Mass"
    "Could I Leave You?"
    "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow" / "Chant Will See Us Through"
    "The God-Why-Don't-You-Love-Chant Blues"
    "Losing My Mind"
    "Ah, But Underneath!"
  • BenBen
    Folies? Where'd this?
  • Courtesy of Garrison Keillor: "Oh Would You Please Keep From Singing?"
  • I'd settle for some of Fr. Z's classics as sung by Robert Goulet.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Ok, so here's where I found out about the Follies, from Janet's e-mail:

This year marks the return of the "Follies". For those who have never experienced a Colloquium "Follies", get ready for a fun and entertaining evening. Although we can't always fit this into the Colloquium schedule, it never fails to provide us with enough laughter to hold us through until the next time. Whether David Hughes is playing a well-known hymn in the style of Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin or John Phillips Sousa, or an impromptu skit is performed by would-be comedians, much fun is had by all.

So, bump. I'm serious. Let's do some sketch comedy. Who's in?
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    So... it's almost time for you to be arriving in Pittsburgh... if you have been ruminating over a follies act, please email me... we do have limited spots available and you'll need to contact me in advance...

Remember, light-hearted, fun, entertaining stuff... all tasteful (as always, of course).
  • SalieriSalieri
    The trouble will be finding someone to compete with "Power Chant" form SLC '13...
  • chonakchonak
    ... which was a revival of a similar performance in DC '07 ...
    I have had requests for a repeat of that performance... it seems to have been the most memorable of all...

And, unless you are a bit (shall we say) older, you probably don't even remember seeing Hans and Frans (the main characters in the skit). For those of you who don't remember... try finding a Youtube vid on Hans and Frans to get an idea... then think of "Power Chant"
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Now I'm curious. What's "Power Chant?" It sounds fun!
  • BenBen
    Fascinating me too... What is it?
  • Jani
    Power Chant starts at about18:35 on the recording which CarlD so thoughtfully included in his recordings. If I could link it, I would. Sorry. Easy enough to find though...
  • Carl DCarl D
    Jani, if you're on Windows, you can right-click on the link and select from the list "Copy link location" or something similar. That way you can end up with the long URL, which in this case is

http://music.dierschow.com/2013Colloquium/20Thu/130620 Follies.mp3

If I read the comments above correctly.
    Thanked by 1Jani
    I cannot recall who did the power chant skit... anyone?
  • Jani
    I remember the guy, but his name wasn't given in the introduction.
  • Claire H
    Does anyone have video or audio from this year's follies? Some of my friends back home are asking to see David Hughes' improv. :-)

Claire
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    I got a few clips of the various ones he played. Bear with me as I settle back into life, but I can help you out in a few days :)
    Bill Chimiak... Mary Ann remembered... Power chant guy.