THE BEST commercial for a sacred music concert EVER PRODUCED IN HISTORY: Spem in Alium, Columbus, OH
  • Kathy
    It is wonderful. And yet I wonder. Matthew, have you taken over the Jeffrey Tucker chair of hyperbolic headline writing? ;)
    Thanked by 3melofluent Ben Heath
  • CharlesW
    The 13 measures of rests were done exceptionally well. ;-) Tucker? Isn't he off starting something in Iraq? LOL.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Can you honestly think of a better commercial for a sacred music concert? I think not. No hyperbole here.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Kathy
    Verrrry convincing argument there!

It is extremely good. Definitely.
  • BenBen
    That is hilarious.
  • canadashcanadash
    Love it!
  • Um, is there a special neume or type of note indicating the little squeak just after partaking of the water bottle?? Um, just wondering.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Those 13 measures are definitive proof that John Cage got some of his inspiration for 4'33" from Tallis.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Stimson, that's so funny! Last night we prepared (in all of five minutes) the mostly unison Charles Ives' "Psalm 67." If you know the piece, or Ives in general, you can guess how the schola went "What?" after singing it, (all of the good stuff the organist has.) Well, to explain the era of the mid 20th century I used "4'33"" as an example of how to make Ives sound stodgy. Then I went further to describe the crap Dallipiccolla bestowed upon the public, and forgot about Berio, as I knew there was another Italian I didn't buy into as an undergrad.
    Another digression, Horst Buchholz's cathedral was reviewed on Ship of Fools, if anyone's interested.
  • CharlesW
    Ah, the Mystery Worshipper. Wouldn't miss it.
  • Mostly unison?? Mostly 8 parts (C maj. over G min.), I recall, and no organ part, and not a 5 minute endeavor. You sure you aren't thinking of a different Ives piece?

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Dallapiccola and Berio. Luigi Nono, OTOH...