Gregorian English Chant for Palm Sunday through Holy Week
  • http://media.musicasacra.com/books/plainchant_gradual_1-2.pdf

Start about page 115 and go through the following pages.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Though the historic (not 'archaic' or 'outdated', but historic) and hieratic English is quite second nature to me and much beloved by Anglicans and quite a few Catholics, if any who wish to use these chants feel that certain verb and pronoun forms would not be well received, it is an easy matter carefully to 'modernise' them or, if necessary, apply some judicious and artful rephrasing. In the interest of using these incredibly beautiful chants at worship, I have, on a very few occasions, done this when I thought the language might distract from the reception of the chant. Normally, this is not necessary and may be downright disappointing to all. Another route, of course, is Bruce Ford's American Gradual, now being put into chant notation by Chonak. Too, if simpler music is required, there is the Anglican Use Gradual. Thanks, Noel, for calling attention to these treasures.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Not to mention adverbs. For example "Let us throughly amend" on Ash Wednesday, which I practiced assiduously to say during rehearsal and managed to emit "thoroughly" instead during the liturgy. Sigh.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    +1 for the Plainchant Gradual.

I had the opportunity to use it for a liturgy here at CDSP (Episcopal Seminary). Fabulous.
  •    
  • Bruce Ford's AMERICAN GRADUAL in square notes? That's wonderful - I've used it and the Anglican Use Gradual and the matching Office book and it is all good stuff.

Chant in English is the true and simple first step to implement chant in Latin.