Video: "Minnesota's Sacred Music"
  • Ummm.
  • They all seem to ignore that in many ways, they have worked to create a new religious form of music that is seriously flawed, rather than enhancing an existing, successful one.

The condescending attitude towards existing Catholic organists...who come from a background that created church music as we know it today...is distressing to me.

Yesterday I heard a C&W song sung by a "rocker" who changed over and became much more popular as a C&W star...as all of the people in this video seem to have, at least in their own minds and circles.

"Performs" the music, "performs the liturgy" all tell us what they think of the old ways, doesn't it while they do not see that they are the performers, the ones who are the center of attention in their music.

Sad.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No, my dear friend, it is not sad, it is purposed. Choose, for your convenience, whether hence it comes from decay or dedication. Neither of those gives credence to that which we deplore, but we cannot envision another dimension, another opportunity missed and supplanted by something which, on various grounds, we reject as authentic.
    OEW was not sung under my direction today, Rice was. The choice was mine. We decide.
    But, though we can pontificate righteously, we cannot decide for those not under our charge.
    As is debated in the other thread about sanction, the more sanctions we infer or actually apply, the more they will somewhere be ignored.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Kathy
    It's very sad.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    They seem to be very nice people.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I take your point, Kathy. However, let's compare the genre in question with "serialism (12 tone)" compositions. As an art form it is now, after a century's worth of scrutiny, pretty much a discarded, decadent enterprise. That it exists somewhere in living practice, perhaps even defended in some academic citadels, is not an occasion of sadness for me personally. I won't speak for others, but any moment of sadness ought to propel a person towards integrity, rather than becoming bogged by mourning. I thought that's what CMAA, we, are all about.
  • Kathy
    I don't think the CMAA is about individual actions but about the musical integrity of the entire Latin Church. As long as this music dominates, our goals will never be realized. It's a desperately sad situation because most people are completely deprived--and some stay away. These is a widespread, perhaps global tragedy here.
    Thanked by 2francis melofluent
  • francis
    ...let's compare the genre in question with "serialism (12 tone)" compositions.
    Good comparison... decadent form of what ATTEMPTS to be art... nope. Never made it, never will. I rejected it the first time I heard it and gave it many more opportunities to justify its existence by listening to it again and again. It still didn't make the list of 'true art form'. It's as good as the art exhibit posted in the pic. (serialism - music in which the end is itself).

What this video shows is NOT sacred music. And the (put forward) definition of sacred music in the beginning is totally wrong too. This video is about 'religious music', which is one of the categories mentioned by the first appearing song writer. Religious music has no place in liturgy. The end of religious music is mostly the people listening to it. Not the glory of God per say. I have composed plenty of religious music. It's fine for your personal listening in your car or whatever.

Sacred music is a very specifically defined genre : music appropriate to the liturgy. We have official books of sacred music, and the hymnals aren't it!
    600 x 742 - 52K
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    However, let's compare the genre in question with "serialism (12 tone)" compositions.

Please, let's not attempt that comparison: not all serialist music is 12-tone music and not all 12-tone music is serialist music. The development in the finale of Mozart's 40th Symphony contains a tone row that is explored in depth, but this music is hardly serialist. Bach's chromaticism in certain melodies does not make his music serialist, either.

On the other hand, some serialist techniques, although not all (since the advent of modern serialism as a formal but diverse compositional theory and practice), have been widely applied in tonal music, for at least a few hundred years. The standard techniques of fugal and other contrapuntal writing, especially canon, are themselves well known and appreciated. Indeed, they have engendered some beautiful music, including sacred choral music.

Whatever ones take on 12-tone or serialist music is (or, for that matter, pentatonic, octatonic or whole tone scale music) it is a long way from the genre espoused in the video.

• What about St. Agnes Church? I know it doesn't really have modern composers associated with it, but it is a significant feature of the Minnesota sacred music world (if they mention it, I admit I skipped some chunks, scanning the little preview window).

They are indeed all nice folks (Fr. Joncas was kind enough to meet with me a few times over a summer while I researched sacred music), and we certainly know how we differ in our views of the nature of sacred music and its role and effect in the liturgy. What needs to happen is for us to continue the work of promoting the authentic musical tradition of the Church so that some day we may be included in a feature like this, rather than letting it be so one-sided.
  • Melo's aging a bit and obviously he misunderstood and thought he was talking about 12 String Music.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Who's "Melo?"
    And for the record, Chuck, I still like Wozzeck and still hate Webern, niener x3.
    I don't think the CMAA is about individual actions but about the musical integrity of the entire Latin Church.

I reflected overnight on this, Kathy, and I think we're both correct, as the latter purpose cannot be effected without the initiative of the former notion of individual actions.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I find the video and the participants representative of a time that I no longer live in. I can see that many still do, but I do not.

I also find the categories by Fr. Joncas to be especially novel.
    Move on people..just another dying side-show.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • doneill
    I have been thinking much about this discussion, and how the mention of 12-tone techniques pertains to the subject. It seems to me that part of the problem comes from the fact this this music is regarded as being in a "folk style," or perhaps even a style of its own. The logic goes - style is irrelevant; all styles are permitted, so why not use a style with which people can identify? But that is an illogical argument. They are correct that style is irrelevant according to the documents, but that's not germane to the issue. That "musical judgment" we are asked to make is based on the principles of aesthetics - balance, proportion, organization. We don't use the same rules to judge all types of music. It would be ridiculous, for instance, to criticize organum because it contains parallel fifths. Hindemith, Messiaen, Webern et al even made up their own organizational systems, but they were organized and logical. This so-called "folk" music is not folk music at all, at least in terms of genre; it is firmly planted in the tradition of Western tonal music, regardless of what instruments they use. And much of this music (not all) clearly fails that musical judgment, with awkward melodies and illogical harmonic progressions. It's not just a matter of how appealing it is to people, as a product of the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" philosophy that has no basis in Christian theology- it's just bad music, period, as judged by the most competent musicians. I think we all ought to eliminate "style" from our vocabulary and get to the real heart of the matter.
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • Kathy
    Melo, I agree. Like any movement there is a dynamic interplay of individual and point-organization involvement in what 1776's John Adams calls "Commitment!"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I played Jefferson and Rutledge, what fun!
  • The value of this video to us is that it is a look into how this music continues to be promoted and what is appealing about it - you can only educate others if you understand what they are being exposed to that is contrary to what you believe is what they should prefer.

Professional salespeople don't want to hear why people buy from them. Instead they are desperate to find out why people do not buy from them and will go great lengths to ferret out the information, to the point of honesty befriending people who have purchased from a competitor.
  • BruceL
    Yikes. According to the title, I figured this would be full of great Lutheran hymnody and organ playing. Color me disappointed.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    Purple Bold.
    Time for a commercial.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACCAF04wSs
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    ...a product of the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" philosophy that has no basis in Christian theology.
    Amen, brother.