Liturgy in SC
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I'll be moving to and living in Summerville. It looks like the cathedral in Charleston has wonderful liturgical music, but it would be a long drive. Anyone have experience of the parishes in Summerville? Thoughts? Thanks.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    only 90 minutes to Mark Husey...
  • Scott_WScott_W
    "Mark Husey..."

Enlighten my ignorance if you would please.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Mark Husey is member here, who runs a fabulous and somewhat eclectic program of Catholic sacred music, drawing a lot of inspiration from the Anglican choral tradition.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Taylors is Fr. Chris Smith's (awesome) parish, BTW.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • JDE
    Mark Husey is at St Peter in Columbia. It's a good 90 minutes from Summerville, but might be worth the drive. He's extremely talented and accomplished.
  • Chrism
    It looks like the cathedral in Charleston has wonderful liturgical music, but it would be a long drive [30 minutes]. Anyone have experience of the parishes in Summerville?

No, but I did drink a sweet tea there once, in a spirit of ressourcement.

I would suggest that you visit both of them, at least out of neighborliness. And, if as is likely, neither is entirely to your liking at present, you might wish to sign up for an hour at the adoration chapel at St. Theresa's, offering it especially for this intention. I've seen many parishes transformed completely this way, much to the surprise of the person who had been praying for it.
  • Thought this was going to be a thread about Sacrosanctum Concilium... :-P
  • ghmus7
    there is a brand new beautiful church in Aiken SC, Mary Help of Christians. Dont know where Summerville is in relation to Aiken
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Took the family to St. Theresa today and was pleasantly surprised. I'm coming from Buffalo which, as wonderful, well-meaning, and faith-filled as they are, is in desperate need of liturgical housecleaning. It was quite a relief actually because going to new parish these days is a spin of the liturgical roulette wheel: 'round and 'round she goes; where she stops nobody knows.
    Thanked by 1Chrism