"Praise [and Honour] to You Lord ..."
  • In the Ordinary Form, there is a Verse Before The Gospel, usually called the Gospel Acclamation in English. We normally sing it like this: Alleluia, alleluia, Verse from the lectionary, alleluia. The number of Alleluias seems to vary. And as everyone knows, during Lent we don't say Alleluia. Instead, before and maybe after the Verse we take something else, like "Praise to You Lord, King of Eternal Glory", or "Glory and honour to You, Lord Jesus Christ".

I know where in the rubrics is described the use of the Verse before the Gospel, but I can find nowhere that specifies the use of Alleluia at that time, nor any "replacement" of the Alleluia during Lent at that time. Am I missing something, or is this a "folk rubric"?

(By "specifies" I mean, "says what to do and what words to say". GIRM Para 62,63 says "the Alleluia", without saying what this is (other than when it's taken from the Graudale, of course) and for during Lent just says to use the verse from the Lectionary (unless taking the tractus from the Graduale, of course.)
  • dhalkjdhalkj
    Further to our private conversation I have uncovered the following:
    GIRM paragraph 62 mentions the Alleluia.
    The introduction to the Lectionary also has paragraph 90 and 91, sorry I'm in a rush and can't take the time to copy out. This refers us to Common verses on the same page as the seasonal common responsorial psalms and refers to the presence of "Lenten acclamations" to precede and follow the verse. So in the Canadian Sunday lectionary on p 252 at the very end of the Lenten seasonal material there are 9 acclamations listed for this purpose. It is given section number 223 suggesting in the Latin original it is actually at the end of the complete book but in Canada it is printed immediately before section 39, The Easter Triduum.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • Yes, these are found in the Lectionary, not the Missal. The General Introduction to the Lectionary is online here (among other places), and paragraphs 90 and 91 state:

"90. The chant between the second reading and the Gospel is either specified in each Mass and correlated with the Gospel or else it is left as a choice to be made from those in the series given for a liturgical season or one of the Commons.

91. During Lent one of the acclamations from those given in the Order of Readings may be used, depending on the occasion.114 This acclamation precedes and follows the verse before the Gospel."

• I certainly wish there were settings of ALL of the texts listed at Watershed in a Simple Gradual / By Flowing Waters style.
  • benedictgal
    I have been using the sitting by David Hurd. It is set to the Orbis Factor.