Colloquium Early Bird Tuition Rate Ends March 1
  • Just a little reminder. If you want to take advantage of the early bird tuition rate, register (and pay tuition in full) before March 1st. Tick, tock...
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • TCJ
    A question on the doubles rooms...

If two people book separately, but wish to share the same doubles room, is there a way to indicate that?
  • @TCJ: I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but will try to help...

If two individuals want to share a dorm room, they should just indicate on the registration form the name of their desired roommate. When I see the separate registrations, I'll match them up for the dorm assignments.

If two individuals wish to have single rooms and be assigned to the same suite (share a bath), they should indicate that by sending me an email or in a comment on the mailed-in form so that I can assure room assignments to meet that wish.

Just be sure you both make the same request on the forms so that there is no miscommunication.

Does this help?
  • TCJ
    Yes, it does. Thank you.
  • I am trying to decide whether or not to get the meal plan. Do you know if there are other nearby places to get food, since we will not have a car? Do the dorms have fridges?
  • chonakchonak
    The Power Center, where many of the rehearsals will be held, sits atop the Barnes & Noble store, so here is a link to restaurants in the area:
    https://www.google.com/maps/search/restaurants/@40.4381892,-79.9905267,810m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!2m4!3m3!1srestaurants!2sBarnes+&+Noble,+Duquesne+University,+1015+Forbes+Avenue,+Pittsburgh,+PA+15219,+United+States!3s0x8834f15c1992d4bf:0x9745e57fcf5e16d9

Have a look. My impression is that the place isn't swarming with convenient restaurants, and moreover, it will be swarming with friendly barbershop singers at their convention across the street in the arena.
  • Well, OK, maybe we can get them doing male-voice polyphony, and they can teach us to do psalms in close-harmony falsobordone.
    Thanked by 2Ben chonak
  • Thanks chonak!
  • The dining nearby (walking distance) is pretty limited off-campus. The campus dining facility will be open, but has limited hours during the summer and is closed on weekends. City buses are pretty convenient, so could be used to go farther afield for meals if desired. In fact, the variety of restaurants near the conference hotel is pretty good (but not walking distance to Duquesne).

Because of the limited restaurant availability, we have more meals available on the meal plan than we have in the past three years. We hope to be able to make it delicious and convenient for everyone.

There are not refrigerators in the dorm rooms. There are a very few available for people with medical needs or people with very restricted diets on a first-come, first-served basis. So, if you are one of those folks who really need a refrigerator, don't delay. You must contact me in advance if you want to reserve one of these at programs at musicasacra dot com.
  • BenBen
    I might point out that it appears on campus there is a starbucks. I'm planning on skipping the colloquium breakfast plan in favor of that. Not sure what everyone else wants to do, but that's what I'm doing...

The red dot is our dorm.

• TCJ
    Starbucks? Think I'd rather forgo breakfast. Actually, not. I got the meal plan for convenience sake.

Also, in while the Early Bird Special lasts!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Breakfast at Starbucks?

"Yes. I'll have a coffee-flavored milkshake with sprinkles and a chocolate muffin. Make the milkshake a Tall; I'm trying to eat healthy today."
  • TCJ
    A quick search reveals these places on or around the campus:

Mitchell's Restaurant, Bar, and Banquet Center
    Allegheny Sandwich Shop
    Subway
    Tambellini Italian Grill at Mercy Hospital
    The Red Ring
    China Wok
    Salad Cafe
    Pizza Milano
    There's a TGI inside the stadium it looks like.
    And, of course, Stealbucks
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Summer time. I bet a lot of the on-campus places will be closed.
    The restaurants right over here near UC Berkeley were basically closed during Christmas break. Very annoying for those of us who live here all the time.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The only really convenient place to eat that is not on campus is the Subway. The others a rather long walk. Get the meal plan. You will not be disappointed. Just to give you an idea - it is a good 10 min. walk from the dorms to Starbucks. From the PNC to Subway is a good 15 min. walk. You just won't have time to go off campus to get something. Plus, the food is excellent. (Been to Duquesne for 2 Summer Chant Intensives and have not been anywhere near disappointed either time.)

And have I mentioned that you will be going up and down really steep hills everywhere you walk? If not - you will be going up and down really steep hills everywhere you walk.
  • gregpgregp
    And have I mentioned that you will be going up and down really steep hills everywhere you walk? If not - you will be going up and down really steep hills everywhere you walk.

It would be funny to display the campus map with contour lines.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Breakfast at Starbucks?

I strongly suggest that all bring an electric kettle with them...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I love Pittsburgh, been there for three conventions (two colloquia.) But folks are right that the campus is a tough up and down walk, even if you're as fit as Mary Mezzo or Angela Manney. In addition, the sidewalks in the university area are not maintained, as well as on the southside of the river. I tripped at the 2nd colloquium and dislocated a shoulder down three inches from the fall. Be very aware as you walk to and fro.
  • TCJ
    Are the hills worse than the ones in Salt Lake City? Climbing up to the school from the cathedral was a chore. Walking to the cathedral from the hotel was even more of one.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, much worse than SLC. I quite enjoyed the walk in SLC - sometimes I would even skip the little tram thing.