Why Sacred Music is important for Catholics?
  • Dear all.

We are starting a new 'Choir Members Recruitment Process' in our parish, and one of the ideas is to pass out a little card with some short sentences telling why Sacred Music is so important for us Catholics, and specially during the Mass. So, as an example, one sentence could be:
    - "The Mass is made for being entirely sung", or
    - "did you know that Jesus sang Psalms right before he went into the Passion?", or the beginning of the Sacrosantum Conilium, Chapter VI
    - "The musical tradition of the universal Church is a treasure [...] greater even than that of any other art. [...] sacred song united to the words, it forms a necessary or integral part of the solemn liturgy".

So, still a week to work on it, but any idea you can bring is very much appreciated.

Thank you all and God bless!
  • I'm going to pipe in with no expertise or experience here.

So take it for what it's worth.

Stuff in the bulletin is looked at, and people like myself say: "I'll have to call Mr. X. about that. That sounds cool!"
    And by Tuesday I have called no-one.

By Thursday I have even forgotten there was a request for new choir members.

Honestly, if you can convince your priest to mention it just after the announcements or just before the congregation states: "Thanks Be To God," (then genuflecting and racing to the four winds) you might get some bites.

A lot of people who really sing well think their voice stinks.
    A lot of people who think they sing really well are truly afflicted with the malady the aforementioned group believes themselves to be a part of.

But regardless, we are one body, and I perceive from the pew many would love to be a part of the Mass, to participate, and don't know how or whom to ask.
    Prayer cards with Saint Genesius or cards with "The History of the Psalter" will go in some revered shrine (stuck in an old missal at the house) and no-one will look at them again for seven months.

Or the card will be in a plastic potato chip can with a receipt they need for expense reporting and a gas station coffee club card.

Would your Pastor be willing to make a direct plea to the congregation?
    Thanked by 1Spriggo