Warm thoughts appreciated.
  • Though we New Englanders love to complain about weather our seasons on average are rather mild. Muggy summer days, though admittedly unpleasant, are few in number and sustained zero-degree winter patterns are actually rare. All in all, it’s a great place to be for those who like the experience of four distinct seasons.

Well, until this year. Our average winter snowfall of 43” was exceeded in a matter of a few days - its still coming down as I type - and there have been no thaws to relieve the unrelenting below freezing cold. On top of that it’s been windy (Boston, not Chicago, is the real “windy city” champ). We’ve run out of places to put snow, municipal budgets are exhausted, and arts organizations have cancelled events with unprecedented frequency. (An example: The Seraphim Singers cancelled two concerts, scheduled a week apart, that were to include premiere performances of Richard Clark’s setting of a text by Adam Wood.) While not making headlines, churches are suffering in that many no longer have the resources to clear parking lots and heat sanctuaries. Yet, more heavy snow is predicted for Thursday and above freezing temperature is not to be found on any extended forecast.

Of course other areas besides New England have suffered this winter. Got any stories to tell? How has the weather effected your church? Have you had major rehearsal and performance disruptions?

Let’s complain together.
  • Liam
    To put it in perspective: by tonight, much of the Boston metro area will have received 6 feet of snow in 17 days with no melting interval or one to come - some areas more like 8 feet. We're not set up like the Tug Hill Plateau, shall we say. (btw, on average Boston gets 43" inches of snow per season from October to April).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There was frost on my car windshield one morning in December.
    It was terrible.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    LOL! We've had snow pack for a couple of weeks but nothing like Boston. Wow.

EVerything was coated in a one-inch layer of ice the other day, and things were so brittle one of the car handles snapped off as my husband tried to open the door. He managed to open the other door, thank goodness, but we broke two ice scrapers trying to get the ice off.

Thankfully, no other mishaps, except one of the basement windows popped out of its frame and crashed to the floor the other day when the temperature dropped suddenly into the single digits. I think the metal must have contracted somehow. Can't think why else it would have happened and thank goodness, no one got hurt.
  • CharlesW
    Note: This is in Knoxville, TN

We have gotten lucky on snow this year, with all of it sticking in the higher elevations. Here in the valley, we haven't had any. We have had a run of rather cold temps down into single digits at night, but today is 57 degrees as I write. The weekend forecast will drop back into night time lows in the teens, with highs in the thirties during the days.

I am more than ready for spring and have disregarded the PA groundhog's predictions of 6 more weeks of winter. That PA hog has been wrong 55% of the time in the last 27 years. General Beauregard Lee, the groundhog near Atlanta, predicts an early spring for the south. I like his outlook much better.

Perhaps you will enjoy the Groundhog Troparion recently posted on the Byzantine Forum.

Troparion, Tone 4

O holy father the groundhog Basil *
    thou wast the first to arise on the second day of the second month. *
    When thou didst arise from thy hole in the earth *
    thou wast astonished at the assembly above *
    for there were lights and cameras and people, *
    all who had arisen much earlier than thee. *
    Thou didst admonish them all for their silliness *
    and for their obstruction of the sky. *
    But thou wast both smart and holy *
    for thou saw past them to the sky. *
    And thou was able to predict the course of the season *
    after which thou returned into the earth for thy continuing sleep.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Here in IL, we got a big blizzard last Sunday. The music for Mass was cancelled, both to keep singers from making a dangerous trip and to keep Mass as short as possible for those parishioners who did brave it. I went the 0.2 miles to play the clavinova (as opposed to the wheezey organ with out-of-tune Ds—all of them!) during the processions. I barely made it (my wife and children didn't) because the car couldn't get out of out alley, and we aren't going to trudge an infant and a 2 year old through the snow down a road.

Having grown up in coastal Maine and attended school in Minnesota and London, I can appreciate New England's weather. Sure it gets more snow than Minnesota, but that's because MN is TOO cold! Sure London is more mild, but the damp [non sic] cold is inescapable!
  • Warm thoughts from sunny San Diego. It's rather warm today, so much so my husband broke out the BBQ for lunch and my nine year old son worked up a flush.
    OTOH, I've never seen a white Christmas, and I can count on one hand the times I've seen snow fall. New England autumns look splendid- and I've only seen pictures.

I'm sorry for my fellow musicians going through awful weather conditions. Though I have no idea of what it is to shovel snow and drive on ice to work, be assured of my prayers. Stay warm and safe.
  • Daffodils are blooming in Portland, Oregon. We seem to have moved from Autumn to Spring, with something in between missing. Lots of yellow jackets and mosquitos next summer (which will come soon). Those of you suffering with the record snowfall have my sympathy. Remember us, too, next summer, when we're on water rationing.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There was supposed to be a concert in Boston by the Seraphim singers which was going to include a work by Richard Clark, based on poetry by Adam Wood (whoever that is).

It has been cancelled, because the snow made it impossible for the choir to rehearse.

I don't even live in Massachusetts anymore and the weather is interfering with my life.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    But who is Adam Wood?
  • My son had to go to 7000 feet or thereabouts to find snow recently.
  • A similar snowfall ended up happening last year and it ended up cancelling the rehearsal I had for Midnight Mass.

This year, a similar thing happened (on the day of the first concert for my college, no less) but the show went on. Stupid relentless Minnesotans.

It was in the mid-50s by the end of Thanksgiving and it snowed like three flakes all of January. Some of the best college choirs in the world are here, but stable winters are something we fail at. (And professional sports.)
  • canadashcanadash
    Had to change my plans to sing Allegri's Miserere because of sickness and weather conditions. This year it was a green Christmas and I'll bet we'll have a white Easter.... looking forward to Pentecost....
  • ghmus7
    i had to put on a jacket and hat the other day in Febuary in Dallas. just so incovinient!
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • But who is Adam Wood?

He stopped the motor of bad liturgy. He did not, however, invent a near-perpetual-motion machine. Jeff Ostrowski's mom did that.

Weather in NE Ohio: cold, unpleasant, slick, but nothing like New England. I'll pray that your weather improves...and give thanks that it didn't hit us first.
  • What a way to run a country! We had the good sense to park our land mass in the Gulf stream , thus ensuring continuous rain, but very even and warm temperatures. We have two seasons, slightly cool and rainy, and slightly warm and rainy. They alternate throughout the year, sometimes in the space of a few hours. Thank you for sending all your heat in our direction. Please do not stop doing this, as it may result in a return to the miles deep ice sheet we formerly had.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl Jani
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Sounds lovely as always in the land of saints and scholars, but I'd miss the snow! Can't live without at least a little bit of it every year. : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH2KGboA35c
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Watching CBS morning news today, it is unfathomable to a native Californian what you all in Mass/Boston are waking up to daily. Warm thoughts indeed.
    However, here in the San Joaquin (Central) Valley, the two Pineapple Express storms that have inundated NorCal, Oregon and Washington completely bypassed the "world's breadbasket" and we continue to experience a historically devastating drought. The cognitive dissonance between 2 ft of snow daily in Boston and barely a sprinkle here while mudslides run rampant north of us is astounding. Mysterious ways.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, if only the precipitation could be more evenly divided . . . it is a great mystery indeed. So often we're swimming in rain puddles here on Long Island, and I wish we could send it westward. Rorate Caeli desuper, et nubes pluant aquam super Californiam.
  • Weather in NE Ohio: cold, unpleasant, slick, but nothing like New England. I'll pray that your weather improves...and give thanks that it didn't hit us first.

Weather in NE Ohio is what I imagine Alaska or Antarctica to be like: Cold, dark, grey, wet, and miserable.
  • CharlesW
    Thanked by 1Randolph Nichols
  • Jani
    Central Utah, 52° F and sunny. Meh.
    Send snow.
  • Ally
    I held class outside this afternoon here at the seminary in Houston...I really don't miss the winters in Wisconsin or Alberta. I'll send warm thoughts, though!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm in Wisconsin, and it's snowing. But we're over a foot short of our normal total, and I recall a monster snowstorm years ago where I lived in northern Minnesota. It wasn't exactly fun, but we had adequate snow removal equipment in the small town, and I only missed one day of school. My thoughts go out to those snow-swamped out east.
  • chonakchonak
    It wasn't such a big deal. When I needed to go out shopping for a computer part on Monday, it took an hour to go ten miles, but it wasn't hard. On the way back, Memorial Drive in Cambridge looked like this:
    No problem.
    PS: Yes, that is a color photo.
    Thanked by 2canadash JulieColl
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ...it is unfathomable to a native Californian
    California is a pretty big place. I'm a flatlander myself, but in the Sierra around grandpa's parish of Our Lady of the Snows it's common to see houses with two front doors and entry halls, one for summer and the other on the second story.
  • Liam
    Well, on Monday, there were few people on the roads. Try that today during the much-extended rush hours. It will take longer. Lots.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    True dat, Richard, I'm thirty minutes from Sequoia National. And personally I'd be gratified if this megalopolis monstrosity of a state were regionally divided so that some equanimity of representation and governance would supplant the San Francisco/Los Angeles/San Diego monopoly that we currently endure.
    Hi Speed Rail between LA/SF? Porque?
  • Chonak, amazing pic. I find it quite beautiful and exotic- from my perspective.

Agreed Melo.
    With one caveat- San Diego isn't as nutty or fruity as LA or SF. We have a rep for being generally more conservative, more like average America.
  • Only 19º today but the sun is out and it's a picture perfect postcard sight. 2" to 3" of snow tomorrow and something more significant predicted for Saturday and Sunday. I spent the day clearing the roof of our sun room, the only part of the house with a low angled roof. It's the third time in 10 days I've had to do it. I want to go on record as saying roof-raking is the most exhausting endeavor devised by man. (It pains me to even think of sitting on an organ bench.) Despite the temperature, I was drenched in sweat. If Melo really wants to lose that extra 50 lbs. I know the solution. We have a nice guest room.
  • Weather in NE Ohio is what I imagine Alaska or Antarctica to be like: Cold, dark, grey, wet, and miserable.

You're just lusting after Meloche's job.
  • SalieriSalieri
    As a fellow Mass. (Western MA) resident, all I can say is that I feel your pain.
  • Liam
    And another foot is on the way for Sat-Sun with record cold. In case anyone is wondering why? Well, the bend of the Gulf Stream - south of the cold Gulf of Maine - is unusually WARM, and that very warm oceanic air is colliding with the massive dome of ice-cooled polar air stuck over New England due to the jet stream placement. In any event, that would be 7 feet of snow (twice the average season's worth of snow), with no melting intervals, in a mere 20 days.
  • CharlesW
    Yuck! I am glad we are only getting the cold weather and howling winds.
  • canadashcanadash
    Oh, that is awful... Sometimes my whole province gets snow, and our little area gets next to nothing... they're very strange, these belts of precipitation...
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The Arctic Front is on its way. It suddenly became very dark just now with a heavy grey-yellow cloud system moving in, and here comes the snow. Watch out, Boston!
  • Weather in NE Ohio is what I imagine Alaska or Antarctica to be like: Cold, dark, grey, wet, and miserable.

Well, as a former Alaskan ( I lived in Sitka, in the southeast chain of islands known as the Alexander Archipelago) I can tell you that you got the Alaska part right! The advantage, though, to often-miserable weather is that it makes the sunny days seem glorious. If you are still sane.
  • Snow had fallen, snow on snow,

Snow on snow,

A test of our temper.

No more, NO.

You know the mood has changed when invited news hour talking heads are psychologists. Feel like throwing yourself or someone else over the choir loft railing? Don’t fret they say, everyone is feeling that way.

Today’s added 14” (much more toward Boston’s north shore) has been the breaking point. Those living in and around the city dare not drive their cars because of fear of losing a cherished parking spot; the subway, inaptly named because most of the tracks - unlike NYC - are above ground, is shut down; people paid by the hour, including free-lance musicians and those who rely on private lesson income, are concerned about not being able to pay bills. Even my dog gave me a what-the-%*# look this morning as I led him out to do his business.

Is this payback for that sweet young man from Alabama intercepting that pass? Escaping the ravages of the 2008 economic meltdown? Not letting the FSSP make camp within the archdiocese? Thinking we’re smarter and better than everyone else?

Or are the global warming doomsayers on the money (this whole ordeal being caused by warmer than normal Atlantic waters)? And by the way, have I mentioned the mess we’re going to be in if and when this stuff melts? So happy I installed a basement sump pump last year.

The arrival of lent has never been more timely.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CharlesW
  • dad29
    We had a stretch in Milwaukee--winter of '68/'69--where, between semesters, I plowed snow and started cars. For two weeks, every day it was snow-plow or start cars.

Made enough in those 2 weeks to pay an entire semester's tuition at Marquette University.

Also worked as p/t organist for a local parish. That was gravy money then.

So yah, I know what it's like and it is not fun to live in those conditions, even if one can make money on it.

About 10 years later, another nasty winter, city of Milwaukee ran out of places to put the snow, so they trucked it to the Milwaukee River and dumped it. Several thousand truckloads. Snow was so deep that the railroad couldn't run to the loading docks at Harnischfeger, which meant they could not ship completed mining shovels, which (to say the least) impinged on their cash-flow.

So they shut down the factory and sent all their men out to shovel off the RR tracks.

Think we can change the climate? God sends a reminder......
  • CharlesW
    We are expecting 1 to 3 inches of ice, sleet, freezing rain, and snow in Knoxville, TN on Monday. Higher elevations up to a foot of snow. The roads have been brined, but no one handles ice very well. Temps are below freezing until Saturday and Thursday night, I believe, will drop to -7 degrees. I am sure Al Gore is behind it all! LOL.
  • Interesting Charles that at 5:42 (when you posted the above) I received a text from my daughter and her family as they were driving thru Knoxville on the way to Rome, Ga to visit in-laws. This week was chosen for the trip because they thought they would escape the horrible weather in the Concord, New Hampshire area where they live. :)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JonLaird
    It was 55 degrees at the organ console this morning. By the last Mass it had gotten up to 59. Our HVAC couldn't keep up with the below-zero wind chill, which is not too common here.

Understandably, the congregation seems to sing better when it is very cold, compared to when it is very hot, so I did not mind it too much. I did, however, have to wear gloves when not playing.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Mid seventies today.

You wanted warm thoughts. Between the balmy weather here and the rage my comment will engender in those of you who are suffering through the weather I would prefer at this time of year (as a Buffalo native)... there are now warm thoughts!

Thanked by 1Salieri
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I was wearing my mittens, too, since there was a frigid wind whistling through the bricks in my corner of the chapel. Brrr.
  • CharlesW
    We had the heat cranked up at masses yesterday. The ancient heating system groaned as it tried to keep the temperature up in that old and un-insulated building. The organ chamber was at 60 degrees - 15 degrees below its routine setting for tuning. All the 2 foot stops sounded a little sharp and wonky. Every time the front doors were opened, icy blasts came up the stairwell to the loft. We kept the loft door closed, but that building leaks air like a sieve. Pray for warmer weather, which means it will likely get too hot and cause another set of issues. Ya can't win. LOL.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, like centipedes crawling out of the cracks on a hot sweltering day in August. I think I prefer the frost and snow.

P.S. Besides that, you can always add more layers in the cold, but you can't always subtract them in the heat. : )
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    you can always add more layers in the cold, but you can't always subtract them in the heat
    Julie, I'm told that's how choir vacation arose as a tradition in chutes (spellchecker guess) churches with organ lofts ;-)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    P.S. Besides that, you can always add more layers in the cold, but you can't always subtract them in the heat. : )

Wish you could convince some of congregation ladies who remove far too many layers in the heat. They don't have any problems taking them off. LOL. I never thought the day would come when flip-flops, shorts, and bare midriffs were considered ok to wear to church.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's unbelievable, Charles, and then you think of all the layers people used to wear in the summer ---sans air conditioning. How did the nuns survive, for instance, or nomads in the Middle East wrapped in layers of clothing and veils? Maybe it's actually healthier that way. We're sure not healthier now despite being semi-nudists every spring and summer.
  • CharlesW
    I know! Have you noticed that in many hot Mideastern locations, they wear more clothes, not fewer?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, whatever you do if you're in the Middle East, don't wear an orange jumpsuit. My son was explaining the symbolism of that attire. I didn't realize it was being used in retaliation for the Guantanamo Bay prisoners. May the Lord have mercy on us all.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW