Alleluia, Song of Gladness [BEAUDRY 87. 87. 87] (Charles H. Giffen)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is John Mason Neale's translation "Alleluia, Song of Gladness" of Alleluia, dulce carmen, set to my hymn tune BEAUDRY. It is especially appropriate for the last Sunday before Lent.

There are three harmonizations of the tune, with progressively more movement in the inner voices, and the third providing also a soprano descant. The accompanying sound file, simulates the organ playing through the first harmonization (introduction), then voices and full organ on the first harmonization (first verse), then voices (choir?) with less than full registration on the second harmonization (second verse), then voices without the descant and full organ on the third harmonization (third verse), and finally unison voices plus the descant with full organ on the third harmonization (fourth verse).

Enjoy.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *bump*
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • Wonderful. Just wonderful.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I like your tune, Beaudry, Chuck. It's really nice and has a rather Anglican processional character about it. Still, for me, nothing can equal the 1940's Dulce Carmen.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I understand, Jackson. I love Dulce Carmen, too. So it has been with more than a little trepidation that I put "Alleluia! Song of Gladness" to Beaudry, but somehow the 3rd & 4th stanza harmonization and descant seemed to cry out for the anticipation of Easter in the text.

I've also used Beaudry for "Jesus, Lord of Life Eternal," which is John Mason Neale's translation from the Greek of the Canon for Ascension Day, Ode IV, by Joseph of the Studium. It's a remarkable text that also fits the tune well.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Another nice tune that immediately popped into my head when I saw this hymn is FINNIAN.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    (bumping this, perhaps a bit late)
    Thanked by 2MarkS RevAMG
  • Too bad, Chuck -

At Walsingham we bad good-bye to alleluya three weeks ago, on the last Sunday after the Epiphany, being (or, having been) the Sunday next before Septuagesima.

I do hope, though, that every member of this august forum (who hasn't already done so) will sing 'Alleluya, Song of Gladness' on the Sunday next before Ash Wednesday.

It can be found paired with Dulce Carmen at no. 54 in The Hymnal 1940, at no. 63 in The English Hymnal, and other places.

Of course, I can't resist recommending C.H. Giffen's version, above, above all others!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JesJes
    Anybody else bury the alleluia this year? *side note alert*
    These are awesome Chuck! Just did a tim tam slam for ya.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I like it and may use it after Easter since we are past the alleluia season. I think it would work well then, too. Good work on this.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jes
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *bumping* this for the last Sunday of Epiphany.