Gelineau Psalms
  • canadashcanadash
    Are Gelineau Psalms under copyright or can they be freely copied?
  • ronkrisman
    If you are inquiring about the text of the psalms from the Revised Grail Psalms, or psalm texts from earlier editions of the Grail psalms (going back to the 1950's), yes, they are all under copyright.

However, there is a quite liberal use policy for the psalms from the (c) 2010 Revised Grail Psalms. Please see:
    http://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/RGP/GrailLicense.cfm

In addition, published music which uses the Revised Grail Psalms (or an earlier edition of the Grail psalms) is also under copyright, some from GIA Publications, some from other publishers. Permission or license to reprint such copyrighted music must be secured from the appropriate copyright holder.

Consequently, one wanting to reprint the music of Joseph Gelineau (either one or more of his psalm tones, or one or more of his antiphons) must have the permission or license from GIA publications, which is the copyright holder or the agent for the copyright holder. But again, see GIA's policy concerning one-time use in a worship aid for a particular occasion. For the latter, see:
    http://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/copyright.cfm
    which then directs the reader to:
    https://www.onelicense.net/index.cfm?go=main.prices
  • canadashcanadash
    Funny. I wrote to GIA first b/c I need this for a one day musicians' retreat/workshop. They told me to contact "onelicense" who in turn told me to contact GIA....
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • I don't have time to verify this right now (typing on phone), but if it's for educational purposes, I think you may be able to reprint it legally without any permission or license.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    From the GIA website:
    Note: In certain select instances, GIA is honored to extend free reprint permissions for the copyrights owned and administered by GIA Publications, Inc. Those cases include: ordination, first Masses, religious professions, jubilees of religious professions, and conferences and conventions for music directors. Contact GIA at custserv@giamusic.com or at 1-800-GIA-1358 if you have any questions about this type of permission.

• @Canadash,

For obtaining any copyright permission for the Gelineau psalms, I would be happy to help you! 708.496.3800 x61 or mattm@giamusic.com are the best ways to contact me.

All my best,

Matthew Merz
    Marketing Associate
    GIA Publications, Inc.
    7404 S. Mason Ave
    Chicago, IL 60638
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you Matthew. I did get permission. It was just a bit of a run-around... not bad though... thank you!
  • @Canadash,

Glad to hear you got things worked out. I'll make sure to mention this as well, so next time isn't so confusing for you!

All my best,

Matthew Merz
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • Thanks for being here, Matthew. Please stick around.

From time to time, members here have questions about music publishing and about GIA in particular. Fr. Ron Krisman and Fr. Jim Chepponis are kind enough to answer many questions from their experiences as composers and their experiences working with GIA, and it would be great to add someone else who currently works for the company.

Please know that GIA and some of its output is criticized here, sometimes harshly; in any event, this is not personal towards any individual nor even towards the company as an entity. It simply arises out of a desire from us to have the very best quality music for our churches.
  • @PaixGioiaAmor,

Not a problem. I'm doing my best to keep tabs on the forums here and be a good liaison between church musicians and all of us here at GIA. Anybody is welcome to contact me directly at mattm@giamusic.com and, of course, through this great resource at @matthewmerz !

All my best,

Matthew Merz

Marketing Associate
    GIA Publications, Inc.
    7404 South Mason Ave
    Chicago, IL 60638
    708.496.3800 x61
    mattm@giamusic.com
  • ghmus7
    what about making a photo copy for cantors for a one time use? we have purchased mutiple copies of the spiral bound book for cantors, but somtimes its easier to deal with one page.
  • ghmus7
    And we do have a onelicense account.
  • @ghmus7,

Generally, the purchase of our psalm books are intended for 'real-time' use, meaning the cantor and/or psalmist is using the purchased music from GIA. That being said, I don't necessarily see an issue of copying the appropriate psalm for the weekend for the cantor since you have purchased the music, since it is one photocopy you are making. But, like mentioned, it is our preference, as with any publisher, to use the printed, purchased music.

As far as OneLicense goes, all content associated with it is strictly for congregational use. So, for the Gelineau Psalms, you could reproduce the psalm antiphon melody line, but anything more than that - verses, SATB parts, etc. - would be a copyright violation even with OneLicense.

I hope this helps. You are welcome to contact me at mattm@giamusic.com if you have any further questions, and I can certainly redirect you to our Permissions Manager for more in-depth questions.

All my best,

@matthewmerz

Marketing Associate
    GIA Publications, Inc.
    7404 South Mason Ave
    Chicago, IL 60638
    708.496.3800 x61
    mattm@giamusic.com
  • CharlesW
    Our psalms are from another publisher, but the books are large, heavy and unwieldy. I copy the single page Sunday psalm for the choir each week, then put them in the recycle bin afterwards. They are convenience copies.