Music to welcome new pastor next Sunday?
  • PeterG
    Anyone have a brilliant suggestion for music to welcome our new pastor next Sunday?
    Perhaps a hymn, perhaps a simple piece of chant or easy motet - we have only one practice to go.
    All suggestions will be much appreciated.
    PeterG
  • Liam
    A setting of the first reading would be apropos:

Job spoke, saying:
    Is not man's life on earth a drudgery?
    Are not his days those of hirelings?
    He is a slave who longs for the shade,
    a hireling who waits for his wages.
    So I have been assigned months of misery,
    and troubled nights have been allotted to me.
    If in bed I say, "When shall I arise?"
    then the night drags on;
    I am filled with restlessness until the dawn.
    My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle;
    they come to an end without hope.
    Remember that my life is like the wind;
    I shall not see happiness again.

That said, I don't think the music should be about welcoming the pastor. YMMV.
  • Kathy
    Some hymns to consider:
    Lord of All Hopefulness
    Ubi Caritas
    Any Te Deum (God We Praise You might be a nice recessional)

If Ye Love Me might be a nice motet.

Psalm 23 might be nice.

Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • BenBen
    dies irae.
  • PeterG
    I agree with Liam that the music shouldn't be all about welcoming the new pastor - normal music selection procedures certainly apply - but something that fits this aspect of the occasion would be acceptable, I would think. (The idea of a setting of the Job reading would be intriguing!)
    Kathy's suggestions are certainly worth considering, thank you.
    Keep the ideas coming, please folks.
    PeterG
  • I agree with Liam that the music at Mass shouldn't be at all about welcoming the new pastor.
  • PeterG
    Dies Irae? Ben Yanke, what terrible experiences in your past life can have caused you to become so cynical? For your penance, please give me three serious suggestions in answer to my question.
    2. Arthur, as explained earlier, that's going a little further than I would agree with.
    Peter
  • chonakchonak
    I like Kathy's ideas too. It would probably be enough to implement one of them, so that the Mass of the Sunday wouldn't seem to be 'taken over' by a personal/local event.
  • Sing the music you all do the best. That's the best welcome you can give.

Because if he doesn't like it you'll get fired faster and be able to find another parish where the music you feel is appropriate actually belongs.

[no, Ben didn't tell me to write this.] But he would have if he could.
    Thanked by 2canadash JulieColl
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I once used the first weekend of a new pastor to make a big musical change - from singing the Introit as a prelude and then a hymn for the procession to singing the introit during the procession.

The new priest just assumed that was what we did and he didn't change it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CanticaNova suggestions for OT 5 include the hymn: Come Down, O Love Divine. If you have sopranos that can sing descants, you might try my descants available here at the forums and. also at CPDL. You can also use this again for Pentecost.

Note: These descants were sung at the Colloquium in 2011.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Given how close we are to Lent, and thinking of the reading from Job,

Parce Domine
    Attende Domine

Help Lord, the Souls which Thou hast made

Yes, these are all serious suggestions, unlike Ben's.

Other possibilities: Go make of all disciples
    Ye watchers and ye holy ones
    Adoro te, devote, latens Deitas

• chonakchonak
    Aargh.

Peter, it might be useful to have a look at the music suggestions at the CanticaNova site.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PeterG
    Thank you Chonak. The CanticaNova site is very sound and one of several I regularly
    consult.
    Ryand, I note with sadness that you have joined the cynics along with Ben. I sympathize with you both - you have no doubt suffered grievously in the past under new pastors. I too have had such unhappy experiences but like to approach each new relationship in a spirit of optimism - initially anyway!
    peterG
  • ryandryand
    Not cynical, just goofy. Like when I suggested this when the Phoenix cathedral held a mass for Catholic football players in town for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btzUKqAqC4s