Huntsville AL parish?
  • Reval
    I occasionally visit Huntsville AL. Does anyone know if any particular parishes are worth seeking out for good liturgy / music / etc?
    Thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    I asked a friend in the area, and he responded as follows:

Our Lady Help of Christians is the Extraordinary Form parish. Things would be very simple there due to limited resources.

Holy Spirit is centrally located and would have the best NO liturgy (organ and cantor or choir, depending on the Mass, avoid the Saturday evening LifeTeen Mass). But it's really just "average American liturgy done reasonably well". There are no outstanding parishes liturgically in Huntsville. Beyond Holy Spirit, all the other parishes are not as good.
  • Reval
    Thanks very much, Chonak. That helps me a lot!
  • BruceL
    Reval, I would ask a priest I know, but I have a feeling that might be @chonak 's source as well! :)

What you really should do is come to Birmingham, but I'm biased! I try to make sure the music at St. Paul is only moderately repugnant!
  • chonakchonak
    Or, thinking of places halfway between Huntsville and Birmingham, is the Benedictine monastery in Cullman perhaps worth a visit for its liturgy?
  • BruceL
    The Benedictines (monks...nuns are rather different) have excellent liturgy. Their office books were authorized by the current abbot and were composed by Fr. Samuel Weber, OSB. Simple settings, but really great and follow the traditional Benedictine practices. Their website is very complete, but Fr. Joel Martin, OSB is the choirmaster and might be a nice contact. St. Bernard's is the name.
  • Reval
    Thank you both. Cullman would have been a little far to drive for this visit (which was very short). We went to Our Lady, Help of Christians, for low Mass, and that was very meaningful and a very strong homily too. We got our throats blessed too, of course!
  • BruceL
    Fr. Mackey is a good guy: often comes down here and celebrates Mass (N.O.) at my son's school. Glad you had a good visit!