Liturgy, Adaptation, and Context
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    From my article on onepeterfive:

Historically authentic productions of Shakespearean plays are occasionally in and out of fashion. Recently a movement championing “original pronunciation” purports to let us hear Shakespeare’s words precisely as they would have been spoken when the plays were originally written and performed.

It is artistically irresponsible to mount a performance of a Shakespearean play — or a play from any era — without some sense of the time and culture it comes out of. Historically informed performance is extremely important if we are to be true to the stories and our own tradition.

However, the extremist point of view that advocates for a high degree of fidelity to historically authentic performance practice is ill-conceived. Setting aside the issues of historical unknowability (which is no small issue to bypass), there is a more fundamental problem with the idea of a “historically accurate” production of a venerable cultural work.

You could build a time machine and transport the original Globe, a troupe of Elizabethan actors, and old Will himself into our midst and ask them to perform for us. It would be educational. It would be thrilling. But it would not be historically authentic.

No matter how historically accurate the production of a Shakespearean play is, there is one thing you cannot reproduce: an authentic Shakespearean audience.

Go read the whole article:
    Liturgy, Adaptation, and the Need for Context
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Cantus67
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This looks excellent, Adam! Speaking of historically informed Shakespeare plays and Middle Earth reminds me of the devastatingly bleak and artificial production of Romeo and Juliet we saw last year which could not have been more historically uninformed (which was apparently the main point of the whole wretched thing:). The only fun thing about it was seeing Orlando Bloom again:

In a sense, is that what modern Catholic liturgical praxis is: maintaining just enough of the Roman rite to preserve validity while leaving every detail possible open to modern interpretation?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Tights and ripped jeans are not the only two options for producing Shakespeare.
    Baroque and LifeTeen are not the only two types of liturgical styles.
    Thanked by 2ryand Salieri
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I just read your entire article, Adam. Twice. Suffice to say you have rattled my nice neat thought patterns, and I'm deep in the process of forming a reply. Thank you for this!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thank you, Adam: I have long bemoaned the Rad-Trad-fetishists who insist only on Baroque-style chasubles and lotsa lace (a seminarian I know, in the FSSP, no less, calls those things 'litengerie') as a prerequisite for the validity of the Mass.

Now, having said that, there are some places where beautiful fiddlebacks and lace surplices really do work, such as the uber-Barok St. Martin's Abbey (Abtei Weingarten) in Ravensburg (Germany). However, if one is celebrating the traditional Mass in, say, the Basilica of St-Denis in Paris, not only would such things be completely anachronistic historically (which in the long run, really doesn't matter), but they would be a very jarring contrast to the architecture of that early Gothic building.

Apart from that, I think that you have given all involved in liturgical renewal (reform, revivification) much food for thought, and I echo Julie's comment above. Now, the next phase: we have, more or less, diagnosed a/the problem; what is the solution? If, indeed, there is one. In other words, without trying to dig up the past in an archaeological way, how should we implement Adam's four (simultaneous) ways of attacking the problem: Looking in, out, up, and down?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You all should go comment. There's only this one guy right who seems to be misunderstanding me and giving me a hard time.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Liam
    There are also personality types: people who thrive on mastery of rules-based systems will tend to alienate people who do not. And vice-versa.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    OF course, all the issues about the fact that different artistic styles can be used is somewhat obvious to many people, and hardly an original line of thinking.

What I think is the crux of my "suggestion" here is that the liturgy and the community surrounding it have to double duty as compared to the past. It has to provide its own context (artistic, cultural, philosophical). That is --- we who "do liturgy" have to provide it with context.

This is why things like program design matter to me. And non-liturgical arts and culture like poetry, movies, and theatre. And community outreach. And schools.

And, and, and.....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BTW - I think (to the extent I know about what they're doing) that Fr. Smith's program at Prince of Peace in South Carolina is the sort of thing I mean about providing a community-based context for liturgy.

And the stuff @JulieColl is always talking about is the sort of thing I mean when I talk about appropriate adaptations that contribute to the subjective experience of the congregation.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thank you so much, Adam! It means so much to know that you too believe that people going to the Usus Antiquior should be able to participate body and soul, and sing or say in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them. Such a simple concept, and yet one fraught with all kinds of controversy.

What you are calling for I think is the same essential sentiment of Cardinal Ratzinger in his book, The Spirit of the Liturgy, when he said that before the Council, the Mass had become like a fossilized fresco overlaid with so many layers that it was very difficult for the people to access.

There is to be no dichotomy between a participatio actuosa that is primarily spiritual and interior, and one in which the people actually, vocally, audibly say or sing in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them. You can no more divide these two aspects of participation than you can divide man's body from his soul because the whole person participates in the Holy Sacrifice, not just a disembodied spirit.

To attempt to do such a thing is, I believe, an ideological act of violence against the true spirit of the liturgy as well as to the mind and heart of the Church.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Salieri
  • Adam, Julie, others...

This past Thursday (Jan 22nd) we managed a Solemn High Votive Mass for the Forgiveness of Sins, to make reparation for the public crime of abortion. Most of those in the congregation, I suspect, don't frequent the EF. Predicting this, however, allowed me to prepare a booklet which contained the proper (words only), the ordinary (Mass XVII), Te Deum and Parce Domine. In the notes at the front I pointed out that one of the differences between this celebration of the Mass and what the congregation counted as familiar was this: no one will tell you when to sing, or invite you to sing, but you are welcome to sing if you like.

Stage managing by microphone has absolutely got to go from all celebrations of the liturgy.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Solemn High Votive Mass for the Forgiveness of Sins, to make reparation for the public crime of abortion

And this is the sort of thing I was talking about with bringing our sacramental life into a more clear harmony with our public policy campaigns.

And I'm seeing more and more of this stuff all the time.

Sometimes I think people think I'm saying "do different new things." Mostly I just try to give voice and analysis to the amazing things going on, which I want everyone else to be doing also.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    "We can neither translate everything into some contemporary idiom, nor can we simply drop an ancient liturgy into the midst of modern people." Adam really nails it here in his essay. While the former approach "dumbs down" the liturgy too much for the sake of the people, the latter tends to ignore the needs of the people entirely.

And this illustrates very well the impasse at which Catholic liturgists have arrived. Neither form of the Roman Rite as it is commonly celebrated is thriving. I recently read in a history of the Liturgical Movement that in the eighteenth century the liturgy had at that time also "ceased to be a vital force in Catholicism."

The impetus for the Liturgical Movement came from a desire to reignite a fervor for the liturgy and to unite the faithful with the priest in the celebration of the Mass. That desire was crystallized by Pope St. Pius X's call to restore chant to the people in Tra le sollecitudini: that they be "taught to say or sing in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them."

That was the essence of the original Liturgical Movement (before it was derailed); that was the repeated call of the preconciliar popes and that was the sentiment enshrined in Sacrosanctum Concilium.

Has that dream of the original LIturgical Movement ever been realized? What will happen when it is? Cardinal Ratzinger believed that at that fateful moment when "the essential criteria" of Sacrosanctum Concilium are observed, including the application of those criteria to the EF, this is what will happen:

"The moment when this liturgy truly touches the faithful with its beauty and its richness, THEN IT WILL BE LOVED, then it will no longer be irreconcilably opposed to the new Liturgy, providing that these criteria are indeed applied as the Council wished.

"Different spiritual and theological emphases will certainly continue to exist, but there will no longer be two contradictory ways of being a Christian; there will instead be that richness which pertains to the same single Catholic faith."

So, there it is, the winning liturgical formula as outlined by Cardinal Ratzinger on the 10th anniversay of Ecclesia Dei: the Mass, in both forms of the Roman Rite celebrated 1) with the people singing or saying in Latin those parts of the Mass pertaining to them, 2) celebrated "in community with the active participation of the faithful" with 3) responses and acclamations by the people as well as appropriate actions, gestures, postures and periods of silence.
  • SalieriSalieri
    When, after S.P. came out, we had the first TLM in the parish since the NO was issued, I insisted that I didn't care what people did prior to the council: I didn't care whether they just used Rossini-Propers, or sang an interminable number of hymns during Low Mass, that the people didn't sing the responses at High Mass, or anything else. I insisted that the schola will use the full Gregorian Propers, with the appropriate ordinaries; that the people sing those parts that pertain to them (if they desired to do so); that vernacular hymns would only be sung at beginning and end, whether High Mass or Low Mass. I insisted that, musically (the only part I had direct control over), the liturgy was celebrated today, not as an artifact from 1954, in full conformity with Sacrosanctum Concilium, and the teachings of the Popes from Pius X on.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Salieri, it sounds like you naturally took to heart this basic principle which Louis Bouyer attributed to the work of Dom Gueranger:

"That we must not try to provide an artificial congregation to take part in an antiquarian Liturgy, but rather to prepare the actual congregations of the Church today to take part in the truly traditional Liturgy rightly understood."

(From Dom Alcuin Reid's introduction to Dom Beauduin's Liturgy, the Life of the Church)
  • SalieriSalieri
    The three greatest liturgists of the past 150 years:

Prosper Gueranger
    Louis Boyer
    Joseph Ratzinger
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've been trying to think of more of what I mean about CONTEXT, because I'm not sure I've expressed what I am getting at in full.

I've been trying to wrap my head around a concept that showed up in art and theatre in the 20th century: "Strange making." This notion had a profound effect on my theatre work (back when I did that sort of thing), and it has recently started showing up in my readings of theology and liturgy. Pickstock and Girard both touch on it, as do a number of other thinkers.

The key idea in artistic "strange making" is a process by which something usual, normal, or familiar is highlighted in a way the is startling and makes some deeper truth known. The typical poetic explanation of this is:

"Make the familiar strange, so as to make the strange familiar."

[I wrote the following all at once this morning, with not much thinking through the larger theological consequences, so if anything here is a direct path into heresy, I trust you all will simply correct my thinking.]

This is precisely what happens in liturgy. We take familiar elements --- bread, wine, water --- and do something unusual with them. We make them strange to us, take them far away from our usual experience. When they come back to us, they bring an experience of God. They make God, who is strange to us, familiar.

There is a mirror of John's narrative of the descent and ascent of Christ. In John, the Divine life comes to us and then returns. In sacraments, elements of our human life are offered up to God and then returned to us. Sacraments are our response to the Incarnation, and they accomplish the same goal: bridging the gap between Heaven and Earth, reconciling God and Humanity.

Consequences:

- As the sacramental elements become less familiar to us, their power in this regard decreases. This is why no one understands anointing anymore (and possibly contributes to our confusion over Confirmation). The breakdown of the family meal and the rise of fast-food culture are having the same effect on Eucharist.

- Bypassing this structure does not work. We cannot make the strange familiar by first making the familiar more familiar. This is the root of the failure of contemporary worship and casual liturgy.

The unfamiliarity of the basic human elements of the sacraments is a major cause of the lack of context.

Restoring a fuller understanding of community and family, and of food itself, is a critical part of restoring the context in which the Eucharistic liturgy can communicate effectively to us.

----

Thoughts?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam,

To the extent that what you have written treats the Catholic religion as a material, exclusively man-made, set of rituals it errs. Sacraments aren't our response to the Incarnation, for example, in the sense that we created the sacraments without God and offered them to Him. (Essential to the sacraments are form, matter and intent, not appearance, appearance and relevance).

On the other hand, I have expressed what you have written by saying something like this: the liturgy lets us enter into a mystery (union with God) while specially drawing our attention to its mysteriousness. This is why the "banal liturgy" makes no sense: it can not draw us into the mystery by denying the reality of the mystery through bland music, art, architecture, words and gestures. Sadly, "banal liturgy" is in evidence in many places. Clown Masses, liturgical dances, dynamic equivalency and so on promote the sense that we make the liturgy and that God is largely there on our terms. One has no sense that one is at a heavenly banquet or at Calvary -- even though, presuming valid form, matter and intent, one is.

Here is the heart of why our pews are empty, our seminaries are empty, our wombs barren and our cribs empty.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I wrote the following all at once this morning, with not much thinking through the larger theological consequences, so if anything here is a direct path into heresy, I trust you all will simply correct my thinking.

#thingsneversaidbyrichardmcbrien
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood eft94530
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    CGZ -
    Yes I am mindful of the reductionist danger here.
    Naturally, I believe the supernatural grace of the sacraments is present whether they are conducted well or in the utmost of bad taste, and in any context.

Because I am not worried about the loss of the supernatural grace, I don't tend to address it in these discussions, which have to do with the social, psychological, cultural, and catechetical effects of the liturgical actions (which I think are all important).

Also, I don't mean to suggest that the sacraments themselves are human creations, but I do recognize that the specific forms that surround them very much are. Wine can look and taste a lot of different ways. Chalices can be made out of all sorts of materials and in all sorts of shapes. All of it is open to a huge variety of human artistic and cultural variation --- which I think God intended.

We don't make sacraments and offer them to God. But we do make bread and wine. We take something familiar to us and offer it to God, who gives it back to us transformed. How the Church frames and images that transformation matters. But so does our own understanding of the things themselves before the transformation.

Our cultural context treats food as cheap and disposable. Surely that affects how people perceive the Eucharist.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Our cultural context treats food as cheap and disposable. Surely that affects how people perceive the Eucharist.

This is a good point -- Many old[er] Polish people (those whose parents came from the Old Country) have often told me that if a piece of bread fell on the floor they would immediately pick it up and kiss it, because something as precious as the food that God has given us to sustain us should not be treated lightly - they wouldn't have dared to pass the Host around like as was seen at the Mega-Mass in Manila, because they wouldn't have dared to pass the bread around their dining table like was seen in Manila.
  • SalieriSalieri
    This is precisely what happens in liturgy. We take familiar elements --- bread, wine, water --- and do something unusual with them. We make them strange to us, take them far away from our usual experience. When they come back to us, they bring an experience of God. They make God, who is strange to us, familiar.

incidentally, I have heard this before - whether from Pope Benedict or Abp Sample or Dr Mahrt I can't remember now. It is a very good point to remember.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Carl Wolk responds.

I agree with most everything he says. But he seems to disagree with me.

I think I'm perhaps not making myself clear.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I think the minor disagreement that Carl may have is about what you may mean by "adaptation." Perhaps he thinks you're advocating major changes in the EF, although I don't believe that is what you meant at all. I don't know if this is what the source of the tension is, but there is a residual fear among some traditional Catholics that Pope Benedict's call for "mutual enrichment" between the two forms of the Roman rite may lead to a possible dissolution of the EF in some form or another and that is why the word "adaptation" may raise some hackles.

I see just now that Steve Skojec has replied to your original article with a link to a seminal article of his own in Crisis Magazine entitled "The Traditional Mass is Not a Spectator Sport."

I just read his article, and it was a real epiphany for me; I confess that this little rabbit was getting teary-eyed reading it. It is a validation and affirmation of all that we have worked so hard to achieve at our Missa Cantata in Queens. I don't think it's an accident that Fr. Daniel Oppenheimer was an Anglican convert. Our pastor is also involved with the Anglican Ordinariate, and perhaps that is the connection. Perhaps it is the Anglican experience, as well as the corresponding French traditional Catholic experience that can help build "the bridge" to the Usus Antiquior that you were speaking about in your article.

And yet such a bridge is so badly needed by so many people.

Fr. Hunwicke, interestingly enough, also mentioned the providential influence of the Anglican Ordinariates though in a different context than the liturgy, but I think their liturgical example is certainly very powerful and could be part of a way forward.

I think it was the Tablet which cheerfully and with apparent relish informed us last autumn that the Battle Lines were being drawn up. This was not terribly good news for members of the Ordinariates who had thought that they could now just get on with living the Christian life and a spot of the New Evangelisation, rather than manning barricades as they had to in their former residence. We had no desire to have all this argy-bargy thrust upon us ... but perhaps, as someone suggests on one of the threads, it is all part of a Great Realignment, redistributing both those who follow Christ and those who obey the Zeitgeist. The Ordinariates as one of the spearheads of Providence! The future will tell.