Candlemas: A setting of Lumen Ad Revelationem - chant plus simple falsobordone
  • Hugh
    Here's a version of Lumen I've put together combining the set chant with the second half of Victoria's mode 8 falsobordone.

Sometimes the distribution of candles takes a while at our EF mass, and while the chant is lovely, repeating it over and over gets a bit monotonous. Hopefully this will offer some relief. I like to keep the antiphon as chant as hopefully the congregation picks it up and sings along during the distribution.

It should be feasible even for less experienced SATB choirs.
  • chonakchonak
    A fine idea: thank you!
  • Thank you! It takes about 8-10min at our parish. So this is very handy
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is super cool. Thanks!
  • The priest handed the candle to me with his left hand (how sinister), which made it difficult to osculate.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • We used this last night to good success. Thanks again!
  • Hugh
    Thanks, MaryAnn - same here: had the desired effect of giving relief to the chant.

Since Candlemas, I've now discovered on cpdl a very pretty setting of the antiphon ("Lumen") by the Spanish/Mexican 16th c composer Hernando Franco which I think would go very well with this. It's 5 parts (SATTB), one of the parts being the "Lumen" chant as a cantus firmus.

Next year I plan to sing it after the canticle is completed, as a kind of ornate summation.

The CPDL setting is in C, I've transposed it down to B flat to fit in with the Victoria falsobordone setting. Transposition and mp3 attached.

Isn't it great when you go to address a longstanding "bug" in the repertoire (here, the monotony of singing the Canticle over and over in chant) ... and out pops a "feature"!

Thanked by 2JulieColl mgearthman