Chant on Ash Wednesday for OF would be ... ?
  • * Simple English Propers
    * Mass XVII

... and what else? I assume there's a responsorial psalm and an alleluia somewhere? I'm looking for something no more difficult than Mass XVII for a bunch of non-chant singers to sing.

I ask in my ignorance, for I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Actually Mass XVII is for Sundays in Advent an Lent. Ash Wednesday is not a Sunday. So Mass XVIII would be ideal.

The Lumen Christi propers for the day are much better than the SEP. You should check them out:
    http://illuminarepublications.com/downloads/lcg/ash-wednesday.pdf

They include several options of chants for the distribution of ashes.
  • This is the first time in a while we'll have a real chant ordinary sung. We use Mass XVIII throughout the year for all occasions we use chant, and I'm trying to show that the chant isn't just the ferial tone, and this would be my only opportunity because this is the only Mass I get to program.

Is that an OK reason? Like I said, I don't know what I'm doing.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sure the Ordinaries can all be used at any point - the Kyriale is clear regarding that.

But it would be odd to do Mass XVII on Ash Wednesday and something else for the Sundays of Lent.
  • rogue63
    I have used Richard Rice's Simple Choral Gradual for multiple years and find the music accessible, interesting, and easy to pull together quickly.
  • I assume there's a responsorial psalm and an alleluia somewhere?

Just a reminder: "Alleluia" is not used in the liturgy at all from Ash Wednesday until the Easter Vigil. There would be in its place a Tract or a "Lenten Gospel Acclamation" such as "Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory" with verse from the Lectionary. My apologies if I insulted your intelligence on the matter; I just wanted to make sure you didn't mess up that important bit of info.
  • No insult! It's just been a year since I knew that and I had forgotten, and I am new to the OF, anyway.

Matthew: Part of the trouble is that we're normally doing the Advent/Lent ferial setting whenever we do chant, and usually on Sundays we do Haugen and Haas and Schutte and that flavor, and I don't have a say over anything but Ash Wednesday.
  • May you/can you do the chants for the imposition? Are there English versions, if you have to go that way?
  • We'll probably use the Lumen Christi version for the Imposition of the Ashes. Our use of Latin may be limited in order in deference to local allergies.
  • OraLabora
    From the ordo of our local Benedictine abbey (of which I'm an oblate) that does the OF in Gregorian chant:

G. R. p 62 (Graduale Romanum, for the Propers), no Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei XVIII.
  • eft94530eft94530
    www.MusicaSacra.com
    click banner button MusicPDFs
    scroll down
    right click text Gregorian Missal (download 26 MB)
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf
    Scroll down to PDF page 229

Having reviewed the official roadmap,
    you can then investigate variations of language and style.
  • JonLaird
    For imposition of ashes, if Latin is not an option, try The American Gradual. The Gregorian text-melody marriage in Juxta vestibulum cuts to the heart!
    http://seas1.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/juxta_vestibulum-tag.pdf
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • There are practice videos for the SEP --- are there any for any of these other chants? I'm specifically looking for something English, simple, and appropriate for the imposition of the ashes which has a practice video. My group of guys is really new at this, and I am not very good as a director.

We're already pushing the envelope by using a "new" Greek/Latin Kyriale. I don't want to cause any angry reactions or, worse, distractions.
  • I really like Richard Rice's Simple choral Gradual. We are also using some of the chants for imposition of ashes from the Ainslie propers (English). I have also just found Heath Morber's Miserere Mei round. I may use it if needed for Ash Wednesday. Simple... good filler.
  • Assembling the "worship aid" right now. Is the GABC code for the Simple English Propers available?
  • Worst comes to worst, I can cannibalize the existing PDFs.

Are there any Mass XVII worship aids already out there? Something with just Mass XVII, so that it could be re-used.

Thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    Gregobase has Mass ordinaries here:
    http://gregobase.selapa.net/usage.php?id=ky