Adoremus In Aeternum - a mode 1 version.
  • Hugh
    I have to confess I don't find the standard mode 5 Adoremus chant for the end of Benediction to be all that attractive. So for my choir's hymnbook for the 2015 year I've put together a very simple mode 1 version based on the great do re la taw la motif of that mode. FWIW.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • BenBen
    Maybe it's just me, but I have always liked the adoremus in aeternum. perhaps it's just me. I know everyone has different preferences.

That being said, yours sounds nice.
  • Hugh
    Thanks, Ben - no, I think it's me being obtuse!

Anyway, after proofing this thing over a day, I've just noticed a double accent on saeculorum ... now that I've posted. Typical! Maybe Nancy Pelosi had a point about Obamacare after all - "We have to pass it to see what's in it". (Just kidding.)

Corrected version attached. (And any further corrections/advice gratefully accepted.)
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Ben Jes
  • By the way, some of the older books have quite a number of settings of the Adoremus; this Manuale of Gregorian Chant (1903) has the "regular" version, plus one in every mode from 1-7.

I don't remember if any of these show up in any more recent books. However, they are probably usable as is, or with appropriate re-typesetting.

There is also the mode 6 one (see Cantus Selecti, no. 214) which seems to show up in a fair number of books.
  • hi Hugh,
    what occasion this chant can be sung?

thanks
  • tomjaw
    The adoremus... is usually sung at the end of Benediction.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • In some places Adoremus was sung after the communion verse. This would have been back in the time on non-communicating masses. In other places it was sung after Mass. These options could still work in some places for the EF.
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK
  • BenBen
    I occasionally use it (or it's motif... when organ improvising) during communion. I think it's certainly appropriate.
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK
  • SalieriSalieri
    @JonathanKK: That's a wonderful book, thanks for pointing it out!