eye contact helps pitch
  • Okay, I know this sounds odd, but I have a student who sings better in tune when he has eye contact with me. Because I teach at Sacred Heart Seminary in Detroit the vast majority of my voice students are men. Quite a few of these young men have never sung before and they often have problems matching pitch. I have used various methods over the years, including solfeggio, tuning fork, and just repetition. All work to one degree or another. But, I have never witnessed eye contact having an effect on pitch, until today. The student in question is not tone deaf but is very limited in his ability to sing. I was trying to give him some visual cues but his eyes kept wondering until I insisted he watch my eyes. Lo and behold, his pitch improved!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Were you singing or playing an instrument as well? Perhaps looking helped him listen in a more focused manner?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm not sure there's anything terribly odd going on; congratulations though! I had my first experience of discovering new muscles with Bill Mahrt who is very good at this but almost all good choral conductors will model alert eyes, encouraging a lifted soft palate.
  • True about the soft palate often raising in response to active eyes. It is encouraged to lift and that helps help with tuning. Was the seminarian unable to match pitch with regularity or merely singing under pitch?
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I had a memorable experience conducting an opera, small orchestra, and the clarinetist was uncertain about intonation in an important solo part ... she watched my eyes more than the page of music, and played in tune. What you say may well be true.
  • Thanks for the input. I've been out of circulation for awhile but I still read posts now and then when I get the chance. This was such an unusual response that I thought I would just see if anyone else had ever had such an experience. MaryAnn I was playing the piano but made myself keep eye contact. I often use my ears more than my eyes because of the piano but from now on I may try more eye contact for those who have pitch problems. I will let you guys know if this phenomena continues.