Book Suggestion: "Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven" by John Eliot Gardiner (2013)
  • SalieriSalieri
    For anyone interested in the life and music of J.S. Bach, this is the book to get.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • Yes.

I took a Bach seminar class last year that used material from it. Great book and great author.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • I heartily second Salieri's recommendation. This book is an invaluable resource. The scholarship and quality of writing are first-rate.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    . . . speaking of lots of baby bunnies, I think dear old J.S. had 20 (though tragically only 10 lived to adulthood.)
  • 'twas the peril of living in those days.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I also love his anecdotes about Mlle Boulanger:

I was often reminded of Mademoiselle's quizzical inquiry of one pupil prone to exaggerated phrasing: 'Why do you make your music in hammocks, my dear?'
  • Gardiner is one of the best Bach scholars there are! He's dedicated his life to music and also did a year long pilgrimage playing all of bach's cantatas on the specific Sunday they were composed for. He lived with bach for 365 days! That's dedication and awesome in my mind!!! One of my organ teachers was the assistant conductor to Gardiner on the bach pilgrimage.