Advice for Priests/Deacons chanting their parts of the Ordinary Form
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What practical, spiritual, and/or technique-ish advice would you give to a priest or deacon that wants to sing their parts of the OF Mass?

We begin the Winter Chant Intensive today, which has a clergy track, and I thought I would add the wonderful collective wisdom of MSF to my own notes.
  • I would probably (and this is ambitious) only teach the Vocal Gymnastics as given in G.B. Lamperti's The Technics of Bel Canto, as a solid "method" or "how to" of producing a tone while singing. Pitch matching is another story altogether, and we all know this already. The Vocal Gymnastics section has helped me tremendously, as it focuses heavily on breathing and proper aperture of the mouth (buccal opening) and on proper tongue placement in the mouth. This, at least, will get people started and give them at least a little foundation in singing technique. I think most people can handle the vocal gymnastics given by Lamperti with fairly little difficulty. Oh, and as always: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    That's very good. Some of the technique-ish things I have in my notes are very close to what is contained in Lamperti's book, but I hadn't even thought of the book. I'll see if I have a copy in the office to put out for them to look at during breaks.
  • You can get it online at IMSLP for free. That's where I got mine. :)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • MatthewJ,

I would advise them to remember (to paraphrase HH Pope Benedict) that they are the servants of the liturgy, not its masters. Their personality doesn't matter. They're chanting, not singing for a Met audition. Therefore while pitch-matching is important, a weak voice (or shyness in singing, fear of making a mistake) shouldn't serve as reason not to chant.

Whenever possible, they should use the building's natural acoustic to their advantage, and, consequently, NEVER, ever use a microphone. (God doesn't need a hearing aid.)
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • My advice would be that no matter the lack of musical training or quality of voice, if one is truly lost with flex, metrum, final, they can always chant the orations/lessons recto tono.
  • Whenever possible, they should use the building's natural acoustic to their advantage, and, consequently, NEVER, ever use a microphone.

Yes, I can think of a few instances where microphones have encouraged poor singing practices.