Tones D and II*
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Maybe I'm tired and not seeing the obvious, but isn't Tone D identical to Tone II*? Looking at the Psalm Tones in my new Antiphonale Romanum, I see II* with a do clef with a Tenor of re or with a fa clef with a Tenor of so. On Tone D, I see two do clefs with Tenors on the same. Am I missing something? Don't they end up being the same? Why have both then?
  • The classification also extends to the antiphons, which do not share similar characteristics, i.e., Mode D antiphons do not share melodic similarities with Mode II* antiphons.

To muddy the waters further, antiphon melodies classified as II* in the Antiphonale Romanum II are classified as IV in the Graduale Simplex and earlier chant editions which classified melodies according to modes I–VIII.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Ahhhh. How are they different? Is the final different in spite of the Psalm tone final in D or something?

Yeah, I just figured out the whole II*/IV* situation thanks to a comment from van Roode elsewhere on the forum, but I was splitting hairs before then. Especially comparing my ARII tones to Weber's English Tones!