Weird music at Christmas?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Weird things happen at Christmas, I suppose. Here is one such. Any others?

I learned (from a post at CPDL) that 'Pie Jesu' sung by Lucy Kay on Christmas Carols on itv(24-Dec-2014). The presenter said this is one of her favorite Christmas time songs.
  • Apparently, Christmas Carols are composed of any music sung at Christmas time, widely described as beginning just before Thanksgiving and ending on December 26th.

Thanked by 2Liam francis
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This was on Christmas Eve, and it was the 'Pie Jesu' from the Andrew Lloyd Webber Requiem. How utterly inappropriate, and for someone to consider it her favorite Christmas song displays a woeful lack of understanding Christmas.
  • Yes...and this happens because people think singing what they like to sing is more important than anything else. Since it is in a foreign language...Bob's my uncle.

Have no idea what "bob's my uncle" might mean...but just like the sound of it. I suppose I'm doing the same thing they are!
  • A choir I am in often sings Pie Jesu on Good Friday, if anything even weirder. The Fauré, not that I makes any difference.

We had "Someday at Christmas" sung by a boy soloist. During the "carols" prelude, admittedly, but still.
  • CharlesW
    I always liked, "Why don't we get drunk and s...." Jimmy Buffett. Works as well as the Lloyd Webber.
  • MatthewRoth
    CHGiffen, at least if one has ITV, one can definitely tune into Lessons and Carols from King’s, and turn off the other nonsense.

I know of someone who sang “Little Drummer Boy” before Mass (not by choice… this friend was not very pleased). It is not appropriate in a church, I think, but at least it is thematically correct…

Wow. This one makes my head spin. Which one is more inappropriate, Christmas or Good Friday? Yikes.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Does anyone have that YouTube video where the bride is telling the organist that the groom wants Silent Night sung at their July wedding because "it is his favorite song." ?
  • ryandryand
    I'm no Pluth, but here's a shot at some alternate lyrics

O-oh July, Swee-eet July
    Summer warmth, clear blue sky

Swarms of mosquitoes, they buzz 'round your face
    Turning your mood toward seething rage

Don't forGEEETTT to wear sunnnn screeeen.
    Don't forget yourrr sunscreen.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • vansensei
    Silent Night in July? I mean...if the groom was Australian or Kiwi or some other locale where December and Christmas are in summer, I could sort of get it.

I hope the organist refused. It's still kind of absurd.
  • Emmm, why is pie jesu so bad?
    Is not the infant in the manger the same one who takes away our sins? Doesn't the very quote in the gospel 'behold the lamb of god etc come up as a gospel reading within Christmas tide?
    I will certainly grant on musical grounds that ALw's pie jesu is a bit diva -ish, but not sure why you are unhappy with it lyrically.

on the infant jesus

the logic of the iturgy
  • chonakchonak
    Essentially, it's a fragment of the funeral Mass. "Pie Jesu" is an excerpt from the "Dies irae", the sequence sung in (EF) Masses for the dead. After the drama of the Dies irae (accursed souls consigned to flames, etc.) it's an appeal in the last words of the sequence for Christ to be a merciful judge at the last judgment. So liturgically it's not associated with the nativity. In terms of the vast narrative of salvation, the Last Judgment is practically the 'other end of the story'.

Thanked by 2bonniebede CHGiffen
  • you are so right. Somehow I had forgotten the ending. [:-)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Having just been through the television Christmas season, which lasted from before Thanksgiving, through Advent, Christmas, and into the New Year, are you getting prepared for that annual event known in TV land as "Christmas in July"?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Had a funeral on Dec. 22. Family requested "Silent Night" along with a bunch of standards (OEW/HGTA etc.) and any country-sounding hymn. I got creative and found a literal translation of the German "Stille nacht," and that text sat well with a sort of "Come to the Water" (SLJ) loping triple meter. Sang that at the end after "In paradisum," problem solved.
  • Liam
    "Silent Night" could have new meaning in the context of the Order of Christian Funerals....
  • francis
    I will never forget the time I was commanded to use 'Mary, Did You Know'. It is a piece of ****. And, Mary knew exactly what she was doing, who her Son was and the whole shabang. It is an insult to her to even suggest she didn't know. Protestant theology to the core.
  • vansensei
    Bugger. They wanted you to use that when there are hundreds of non-heretical, liturgically appropriate songs out there? Was it sung during Mass?
  • I had to sing that once and I just changed the words to "Mary, you did know," lol.
  • francis
    Yes. Christmas Midnight. That parish was also known for it's liturgical dance ministry and was a wealthy parish in the north suburbs of Bmore. Didn't stay there very long.
  • vansensei
    I began to internally cringe, but then I saw "liturgical dance" and I was no longer surprised. Once a parish has liturgical dance, any sort of orthodoxy seems to go out the window and die in traffic.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • mahrt
    Pie Jesu in the Fauré Requiem is an elevation, not part of the Dies Irae; the Fauré does not set the sequence.
  • vansensei
    And the way Fauré's Requiem is set in such a different, unique way, (the Sanctus has one of the most beautiful chord progressions I've ever heard) A Dies Irae setting wouldn't really fit.
    Thanked by 1melofluent